Windows 10: DNS for "_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home" & "wpad" BLOCKED

Discus and support DNS for "_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home" & "wpad" BLOCKED in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On every reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit PC, I get this Warning in Event Viewer: "Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by glnz, May 5, 2019.

1. glnz Win User

DNS for "_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home" & "wpad" BLOCKED

On every reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit PC, I get this Warning in Event Viewer:

"Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home. timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

Since it mentions fios-router.home, is it caused by my Quantum G1100 (FIOS 1Gbps) modem-router?

How can I fix?

- ADDED INFO - Apparently, this is needed for proper functioning of my or the Quantum's "Active Directory". See item #4 at this link: -THIS LINK ON MSDN-

But I'm not a tech and don't know how to start fixing this.

EDIT - More info - and I certainly need your help:
    By experimenting, I have determined that this Warning occurs when I have the service dnscrypt-proxy running at startup. It's a great service that encrypts DNS lookup requests so that nobody - not Verizon and not Google and not man-in-the-middle bad guys -- can see where I am trying to go.

First, there's a superb article on ars techinca that explains everything in great detail: How to keep your ISP’s nose out of your browser history with encrypted DNS

Second, you can download and get technical info about Simple DNSCrypt - which helps you install and configure dnscrypt-proxy on a Win machine - from github at github-bitbeans-SimpleDnsCrypt

Third, what should I do to continue using dnscrypt-proxy but let _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home get the needed DNS/name resolution and so not get the Warning I describe above?

Fourth - FYI - I always get TWO warnings on reboot - the warning in my first post above, and also "Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." Both are Event 1014, DNS Client Events.

Thanks.

:)

glnz, May 5, 2019

2. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, May 5, 2019
  3. timta2 Win User
    just got fios, and got problems

Verizon FIOS customer service/support is top notch (My experience and Consumer Reports reader survey confirms). I would suggest giving them a call. My brother has FIOS in Florida and it works great, well except the garbage ActionTec router that they provide (There is firmware bug that allows internet connectivity OR WPA but NOT both!).

timta2, May 5, 2019
  4. DNS for "_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home" & "wpad" BLOCKED

Safe DNS Project

So this would just be added to my DNS list in my Asus router firmware? Then id be using your server?

jboydgolfer, May 5, 2019
Thema:

DNS for "_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home" & "wpad" BLOCKED

1. DNS for "_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home" & "wpad" BLOCKED - Similar Threads - DNS _ldap _tcp

2. Windows server 2008 dc/dns issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows server 2008 dc/dns issues: I’m investigating an issue with a windows server 2008 DC/DNS. Will not allow me to join a new computer to the domain. What would be the reason why the ForestDNSZones and DomainDNSZones are not showing in DNS? Only thing visible is _msdcs. Note that this is the only DC/DNS...
  3. Windows server 2008 dc/dns issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows server 2008 dc/dns issues: I’m investigating an issue with a windows server 2008 DC/DNS. Will not allow me to join a new computer to the domain. What would be the reason why the ForestDNSZones and DomainDNSZones are not showing in DNS? Only thing visible is _msdcs. Note that this is the only DC/DNS...
  4. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router: I have a small network that is configured, on Linksys router, to use an internal IP for DNS requests.Dnsmasq running on Raspberry PI. The requests are then redirected through a personal tunnel to a personal server running the DNS service.Everything is working great and I have...
  5. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router: I have a small network that is configured, on Linksys router, to use an internal IP for DNS requests.Dnsmasq running on Raspberry PI. The requests are then redirected through a personal tunnel to a personal server running the DNS service.Everything is working great and I have...
  6. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?: Hi folks,I'm looking to reduce our overall domain controller footprint and the first consideration is DNS lookups from the clients against their local domain controllers.Is there a way to audit the DC itself for who's doing lookups against it?...
  8. Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?

Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?: Hi folks,I'm looking to reduce our overall domain controller footprint and the first consideration is DNS lookups from the clients against their local domain controllers.Is there a way to audit the DC itself for who's doing lookups against it?...
  9. DNS Name resolution for “_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home” & “wpad” BLOCKED by...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Name resolution for “_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home” & “wpad” BLOCKED by...: This first post is a bit long because I've added some updates, but it also has some good stuff for you, so please bear with me. HOWEVER, please DO NOT post any stock answer. This query will NOT be fixed by any kind of automatic answer. PLEASE ABSORB THE DETAILS. On every...
  10. Onedrive and FIO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Onedrive and FIO: Since FIOS was installed in our home, I am unable to sync documents between my computers on onedrive. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/onedrive-and-fio/f803ab46-11f5-4da2-a593-777c54f38f3b