Windows 10: DNS lookup not working in WSL

Discus and support DNS lookup not working in WSL in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I've installed WSL Alpine on Windows 10 Build 18363. When I run shell in WSL I'm not able to resolve any domain names but I can ping. Disabling... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Engin II, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Engin II Win User

DNS lookup not working in WSL

Hi,

I've installed WSL Alpine on Windows 10 Build 18363. When I run shell in WSL I'm not able to resolve any domain names but I can ping. Disabling auto-generated resolv.conf and manually created one with nameservers 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 made no difference. Tried the solution on Fix DNS resolution in WSL2 github.com with no avail either. I'm not connected to a VPN.

How can I get network working properly in WSL?

Thank you

:)

Engin II, Mar 10, 2021

2. WSL unable to perform DNS lookup

Hi my name is Ross, I'm an independent advisor. I'd be happy to help with your issue.

Try following the steps in this article (Section - Bash loses network connectivity once connected to a VPN) to modify your resolv.conf file and manually add your correct DNS settings.

If you don't know the correct settings then you can just use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/tr...

Regards,

Ross

rossmcbain, Mar 10, 2021
  3. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Mar 10, 2021
  4. DNS lookup not working in WSL

WSL unable to perform DNS lookup

Can you go back and check that WSL hasn’t over written resolv.conf

If it has can you fix it again and then run:

sudo chmod 444 /etc/resolv.conf

Regards,

Ross

rossmcbain, Mar 10, 2021
Thema:

DNS lookup not working in WSL

1. DNS lookup not working in WSL - Similar Threads - DNS lookup working

2. DNS not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS not working: DNS has stopped working so cannot connect to internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-not-working/d5f09973-7223-4b97-90b7-4934d14891d3
  3. DNS not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS not working: DNS has stopped working so cannot connect to internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-not-working/d5f09973-7223-4b97-90b7-4934d14891d3
  4. WSL Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL Not Working: Hello,My WSL is not working on my laptop. It crashes immediately after running the Ubuntu app and trying to launch it in the command and PowerShell prompts. I have turned off the hypervisor feature and turned it back on. I have done the same for the virtual environment...
  5. WSL Not Working

WSL Not Working: Hello,My WSL is not working on my laptop. It crashes immediately after running the Ubuntu app and trying to launch it in the command and PowerShell prompts. I have turned off the hypervisor feature and turned it back on. I have done the same for the virtual environment...
  6. Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?: Hi folks,I'm looking to reduce our overall domain controller footprint and the first consideration is DNS lookups from the clients against their local domain controllers.Is there a way to audit the DC itself for who's doing lookups against it?...
  7. Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?

Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?: Hi folks,I'm looking to reduce our overall domain controller footprint and the first consideration is DNS lookups from the clients against their local domain controllers.Is there a way to audit the DC itself for who's doing lookups against it?...
  8. WSL not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL not working: WSL with Ubuntu 20.04 was working fine until I updated to version 20197.1000. After updating I'm unable to start a WSL shell or install a new distribution. I can't even access Linux folder in windows file explorer. I can't even install another version of Linux from the...
  9. WSL unable to perform DNS lookup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WSL unable to perform DNS lookup: Hi, I need to install some packages to my WSL environment, however for some reason it is no longer able to connect to sites via URLs can connect to IP addresses, meaning I can't. Don't suppose anyone knows how i might fix this? Thanks for any help!...
  10. DNS not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS not working: How do I get the DNS to work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-not-working/c21e8d28-65bc-4f3c-9c77-82c201253b20

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to debug wsl dns issues