Windows 10: DNS malfunction after connecting to wifi

Discus and support DNS malfunction after connecting to wifi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Everytime I connect to a wifi, it takes forever for DNS to start working (like up to 30 minutes...). I can ping ip addresses. But cannot go to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by trogne, Aug 8, 2019.

1. trogne Win User

DNS malfunction after connecting to wifi

Everytime I connect to a wifi, it takes forever for DNS to start working (like up to 30 minutes...).

I can ping ip addresses. But cannot go to websites (dns).

"ipconfig /flushdns" does not help. It also takes quite long for that command to finish (like 2 minutes).

What can I try ?

Can updating NIC's driver might help ?
    What else ?

My NIC is "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265".

:)

trogne, Aug 8, 2019
  2. Callender Win User

Intermittent problems with TLS handshake and being timed out

Check DNS settings for both network adapters. Your Wifi might be set to use a different DNS server.

Getting message when trying to connect - Windows 10 Forums

Option Two follow steps then pick a DNS server from the list in item 7. Personally I use CloudFlare DNS

EDIT: Reset router first as already suggested.

Callender, Aug 8, 2019
  3. dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

DNS malfunction after connecting to wifi [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

DNS malfunction after connecting to wifi [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Aug 8, 2019
  4. wabbles Win User

When will the wifi connectivity problems be solved?

OK, so the Windows 10 engineers bollixed up the wifi connectivity part of the operating system. Everybody knows that by now. It seems they are making some progress in resolving it. Now, instead of seeing "Secured, No Internet" on your list of wifi connections, you see "Connected, Secured" EXCEPT no webpages will load. So you really aren't connected. It does seem to be a step in the right direction. Does anybody know when they plan on a full and complete repair of this screw up of epic proportions?

wabbles, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

1. DNS malfunction after connecting to wifi - Similar Threads - DNS malfunction connecting

2. Custom DNS set for one wifi connection constantly copied over to other networks despite DNS...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom DNS set for one wifi connection constantly copied over to other networks despite DNS...: Hi all,I'm running a Win 11 laptop on the most recent version 23H2 at time of writing and I'm having issues with my laptop copying manual DNS settings I have for a single network to every other wifi network I connect to, preventing internet access.I have a pi-hole set up at...
  3. Custom DNS set for one wifi connection constantly copied over to other networks despite DNS...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom DNS set for one wifi connection constantly copied over to other networks despite DNS...: Hi all,I'm running a Win 11 laptop on the most recent version 23H2 at time of writing and I'm having issues with my laptop copying manual DNS settings I have for a single network to every other wifi network I connect to, preventing internet access.I have a pi-hole set up at...
  4. Keyboard, touchpad and wifi adapter malfunction.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard, touchpad and wifi adapter malfunction.: About a month ago my laptop lost charge during my commute. Upon charging and start up I could not access my computer since my keyboard and touchpad were not responsive and only the power button would respond. The computer would sometimes display a blue screen with the 'DPC...
  5. Malfunction in connection, error with network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malfunction in connection, error with network: Hi, I need some help with my PC. I was using it smoothly earlier and I just restarted it, upon restarting it won't connect to internet anymore. I tried restarting again and updating network driver, but still not fixed.I have connection in wifi so the internet is not the...
  6. Malfunction in connection, error with network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Malfunction in connection, error with network: Hi, I need some help with my PC. I was using it smoothly earlier and I just restarted it, upon restarting it won't connect to internet anymore. I tried restarting again and updating network driver, but still not fixed.I have connection in wifi so the internet is not the...
  7. Can’t connect to DNS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t connect to DNS: So recently I was blocked from accessing my WiFi so I tried changing the DNS settings by going to device manager network adapters And my network then clicking advanced and then network address I believe I messed my system up doing that and have tried flushing my DNS in...
  8. Can't Connect to Other Wifi After Connected to Office Wifi

Can't Connect to Other Wifi After Connected to Office Wifi: After I connect my notebook to my office wifi, I can't connect to other wifi anymore i.e. my smartphone hotspot. I did assume that my smartphone hotspot might goes wrong, but I've try to connect other device to my smartphone hotspot, and it works well. If I try to connect my...
  9. Cannot uninstall malfunctioning WIFI device after windows update

Cannot uninstall malfunctioning WIFI device after windows update: I'm working on windows 1903 on an older HP System Model NY536AA-ABA 300-1020 all-in-one: the internal WIFI was connecting OK until update in April, now it displayed first "connected; no internet", but now it shows a bang! in the yellow triangle and has message "Windows cannot...
  10. Wifi dns problem :'(

Wifi dns problem :'(: [img] i'm using my college wifi. so those who connect get internet. my friends uses static ip so they get internet . if i use dhcp it says limited. if i use static ip and dns , after some time(1-2 minutes) it shows dns problem. when i go and check the dns is blank. please...