Windows 10: DNS Name resolution for “_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home” & “wpad” BLOCKED by...

Discus and support DNS Name resolution for “_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home” & “wpad” BLOCKED by... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This first post is a bit long because I've added some updates, but it also has some good stuff for you, so please bear with me. HOWEVER, please DO NOT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by glnzglnz, May 9, 2019.

1. glnzglnz Win User

DNS Name resolution for “_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home” & “wpad” BLOCKED by...

This first post is a bit long because I've added some updates, but it also has some good stuff for you, so please bear with me. HOWEVER, please DO NOT post any stock answer. This query will NOT be fixed by any kind of automatic answer. PLEASE ABSORB THE DETAILS.

On every reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit (version 1803) PC, I get two Warnings in Event Viewer:

"Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home. timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."
    and
    "Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."
    Both are Event 1014, DNS Client Events.

The first Warning's reference to "fios-router.home" must be to my Quantum G1100 modem-router that was supplied by Verizon for my FIOS 1Gbps service. Also, the DNS name resolution is probably needed for proper functioning of the Quantum G1100's "Active Directory". See item #4 at this link: -THIS LINK ON MSDN-

But I'm not a tech and don't know how to start fixing this.

EDIT - More info:
    By experimenting, I have determined that these Warnings occur when I have the service dnscrypt-proxy running at startup. It's a great service that encrypts DNS lookup requests so that nobody - not Verizon and not Google and not man-in-the-middle bad guys - can see where I am trying to go. My only "resolver" is cloudflare's newish 1.1.1.1 service.

First, there's a superb article on ars techinca that explains everything about dnscrypt-proxy and cloudflare's secure 1.1.1.1 DNS lookup service in great detail: How to keep your ISP’s nose out of your browser history with encrypted DNS

Second, you can download and get technical info about Simple DNSCrypt - which helps you install and configure dnscrypt-proxy on a Win machine - from github at github-bitbeans-SimpleDnsCrypt

Third, what should I do to continue using dnscrypt-proxy but let "_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home" and "wpad" get the needed DNS/name resolution and so not generate the Warnings I describe above? ◄ This is the important question.

UPDATE -

As to the Event 1014 Warning that "Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home. timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.":

I've done some more digging, and the dnscrypt-proxy service I am using to encrypt my DNS lookups and send them only to cloudflare's new 1.1.1.1 has a Forwarding feature, maybe especially for cases like this.

See < THIS PAGE ON GITHUB >

MORE Update
    - trying to follow the wiki link about Forwarding -

1. I put forwarding-rules.txt into the same folder as dnscrypt-proxy.toml.
    2. I added the line forwarding_rules = "forwarding-rules.txt" (using double-quotes not single quotes) to dnscrypt-proxy.toml right after the line cache_neg_ttl = 60
    3. The only line I put in forwarding-rules.txt is fios-router.home 192.168.1.1

Is that correct?

RESULTS - The above didn't work, and on reboots I continue to get the Event 1014 Warning "Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home. timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

What next?

:)

glnzglnz, May 9, 2019
  2. Tonys317 Win User

Fresh Install Win10 "Name resolution for the name wpad timed out" DNS

DNS Name resolution for “_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home” & “wpad” BLOCKED by... [​IMG]
    So I should switch from auto to manual using the opendns you gave?

Tonys317, May 9, 2019
  3. AnnGosi Win User
    Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Hello

I get the warning 'Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.' in event viewer whenever my Wifi drops out - which is every 10-30 minutes. It's a Lenovo Thinkpad T440p running Windows 10 pro.

I've already changed the Wifi card (Intel 7260NGW on the m.2 slot), installed different driver versions, reinstalled Win10. This only happens on Wifi, it's fine on LAN with the same router. This seems to be a software problem which only occurs on Windows.
    Wifi works with Linux, but I need it to work on Windows as I work with lots of Windows programs.

Any ideas please?

AnnGosi, May 9, 2019
  4. DNS Name resolution for “_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home” & “wpad” BLOCKED by...

DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, May 9, 2019
Thema:

DNS Name resolution for “_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home” & “wpad” BLOCKED by...

1. DNS Name resolution for “_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home” & “wpad” BLOCKED by... - Similar Threads - DNS Name resolution

2. DNS Name resolution not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS Name resolution not working: HelloHere is the scenario:I have moved three VMs from a VmWare environment to the Oracle Cloud. Two of the VMs were Windows 2019 Standard Active Directory Domain Controllers, the third VM is a Windows 2019 Standard server. As a result of the move, the IPs on all three...
  3. DNS Name resolution not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS Name resolution not working: HelloHere is the scenario:I have moved three VMs from a VmWare environment to the Oracle Cloud. Two of the VMs were Windows 2019 Standard Active Directory Domain Controllers, the third VM is a Windows 2019 Standard server. As a result of the move, the IPs on all three...
  4. Windows server 2008 dc/dns issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows server 2008 dc/dns issues: I’m investigating an issue with a windows server 2008 DC/DNS. Will not allow me to join a new computer to the domain. What would be the reason why the ForestDNSZones and DomainDNSZones are not showing in DNS? Only thing visible is _msdcs. Note that this is the only DC/DNS...
  5. Weird DNS resolution

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird DNS resolution: Hello, I have a domain name, let's say, mydomain.com, properly configured with its public DNS. I pointing to local device @home. So i have entries like www.mydomain.com, xxx.mydomain.com etc... Eerything is working fine. To avoid going out of my local network to come...
  6. DNS for "_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home" & "wpad" BLOCKED

DNS for "_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home" & "wpad" BLOCKED: On every reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit PC, I get this Warning in Event Viewer: "Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home. timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." Since it mentions fios-router.home, is it caused by my Quantum...
  7. Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.: Hello I get the warning 'Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.' in event viewer whenever my Wifi drops out - which is every 10-30 minutes. It's a Lenovo Thinkpad T440p running Windows 10 pro. I've already changed...
  8. Onedrive and FIO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Onedrive and FIO: Since FIOS was installed in our home, I am unable to sync documents between my computers on onedrive. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/onedrive-and-fio/f803ab46-11f5-4da2-a593-777c54f38f3b
  9. router name

router name: How do I change the name and password of my router? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/router-name/345f4235-37ec-4b7f-bce3-745754a801d8
  10. Fresh Install Win10 "Name resolution for the name wpad timed out" DNS

Fresh Install Win10 "Name resolution for the name wpad timed out" DNS: Hi! I just did a fresh install of windows 10 x 64. I remained in Build 1709. I did not format the HD, just fresh install. I have a brand new Router/Modem - AT&T Arris. I installed this myself, I installed similar hardware 5-10 times over my life, hooking up cables, I am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ad.als-s.com. timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

2. Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.

3. Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.