Windows 10: DNS related issues. I think

Discus and support DNS related issues. I think in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My computer has been running absolutely great since I got it which was in the beginning of January. Since friday it hasn't been connecting to the wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nat0429, Feb 21, 2021.

1. nat0429 Win User

DNS related issues. I think

My computer has been running absolutely great since I got it which was in the beginning of January. Since friday it hasn't been connecting to the wifi properly it would connect for maybe 3 minutes, disconnect, connect again, and say "No internet, secured." All of my other devices including another laptop have been connecting fine. When I would connect I would try to click on a website but it says "Website's DNS adress could not be found." Earlier, it was saying something along the lines of "Windows can not communicate with device or resource." It no longer says that but DNS adress does. I would really appreciate help with this because I use this computer for school, and currently I have missed 9 classes, and 16 assignments. Which has brought my grade down by a lot dear god pls someone help me Thanks. :

:)

nat0429, Feb 21, 2021

2. DNS server causing problem

Hi Andrea,

DNS is a server that translates websites' addresses so that browsers can connect to them. If the addresses become outdated or the server has issues, problems and DNS errors occur. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following
    questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • What changes have you made to your device before this issue occurred?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue regardless if you are trying to be connected to a wired or wireless connection?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest deleting the DNS cache. This can refresh the DNS files and settings on your PC. Follow these steps to delete the DNS cache:

• Using Search type Command Prompt.
    • Form the search results, right click on Command Prompt (Desktop app) and then choose Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type ipconfig /flushdns and then hit the Enter key.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Feb 21, 2021
  3. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Feb 21, 2021
  4. harrymc Win User

Windows 10 DNS issues

This answer summarizes the research done by the poster and myself to analyze and
    fix the problem.

I describe here the sequence of actions that will (probably) fix the problem,
    followed by my theory why it works.

Step 1 : Stop the the DNS Client service

1. In the Start Menu of Windows, type services and click to run on Services
    2. Find the service named DNS Client
    3. Right-click the service and do Stop to stop it

Step 2 : Do network reset

1. In the Start Menu of Windows, click on Settings
    2. Click on Network & Internet
    3. Click on Status
    4. Click Network reset
    5. Click Yes

A detailed description can be found in this article.
    I believe that Network reset is probably equivalent to doing all the
    re-initialization commands listed above in the post.

Step 3 : Restart the DNS Client service

Repeat Step 1, but do Start instead to restart the service.

If the problem still occurs, try to reboot Windows.

My theory as to why it works

Apparently some bad setting related to the DNS Client service was introduced
    into Windows, which caused DNS to malfunction.
    Network reset is normally sufficient to bring the network to a known state,
    but in this case the bad setting could not be reset while the service was running. So the DNS Client service needed to be stopped for the Network reset
    to successfully reinitialize all the DNS settings.

harrymc, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

1. DNS related issues. I think - Similar Threads - DNS related issues

2. Issues with DNS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with DNS: Basicly i've tried resetting my dns settings by following this guide but it wont change I did every way that they shown and it didn't fix itself, it carries over from network to network and is an issue because I cant login to my school's wifi.here's the logs from Windows...
  3. Issues with DNS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with DNS: Basicly i've tried resetting my dns settings by following this guide but it wont change I did every way that they shown and it didn't fix itself, it carries over from network to network and is an issue because I cant login to my school's wifi.here's the logs from Windows...
  4. DNS issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS issue: Hi all, This is an error message when a user wants to drag a pdf or other word file and import it into Dynamics Bsiness Central. There is a Dropbox feature in this application where a user can drag and drop files. When importing, the user gets an error message. This happens...
  5. DNS issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS issue: Hi all, This is an error message when a user wants to drag a pdf or other word file and import it into Dynamics Bsiness Central. There is a Dropbox feature in this application where a user can drag and drop files. When importing, the user gets an error message. This happens...
  6. DNS Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Issues: lost of internet connection due to DNS issues, how do I resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-issues/6689bee1-7d92-49a6-91ea-710d8111c2b3
  7. Strange issue related to DNS after sleep mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange issue related to DNS after sleep mode: Hi, I'm facing a strange issue for a couple of months now. When my computer wakes up from sleep mode internet is impossible to reach for like 5 minutes. And I think it is related to DNS resolution since I can ping and access to ip adresses. Only domains resolution doesn't...
  8. DNS issue?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS issue?: I have a new Win 10 Pro laptop for a user. It is in the domain now. I do an ipconfig /all and it shows me it's ip address. From another machine, I can ping it by it's ip address. I can not ping it by name ; it is timing out. If I do an nslookup on the ip address, it shows me...
  9. DNS Issue

in Browsers and Email
    DNS Issue: Hello, Could use some help with this error message. It started after the Cumulative Update Build 15063.138 (KB4015583) install today. This only happens with Edge. IE, FF etc work fine. I've flushed the DNS cache etc. Still no joy. What's online for fixes are confusing and...
  10. BSOD USB or Mouse related I think

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD USB or Mouse related I think: Hey I've been having multiple bsod crash issues. The issues are usually, driver_irql_not_less_or_equal thing, and it usually says wdf01000.sys. Although sometimes the computer freezes and then later says: Machine_check_exception, I believe its a driver issue maybe a...