Windows 10: DNS resolution lag across entire machine, other PCs on network fine?

Discus and support DNS resolution lag across entire machine, other PCs on network fine? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an issue that I have never seen before. The core problem is that often, when I go to websites, Chrome seems to be stuck on “resolving host” for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sindyr, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Sindyr Win User

DNS resolution lag across entire machine, other PCs on network fine?

I have an issue that I have never seen before. The core problem is that often, when I go to websites, Chrome seems to be stuck on “resolving host” for 4 to 10 seconds, and eventually brings the website up. The same DNS lookup lag happens in Firefox, Edge, and IE as well.

I have tried connecting via both wired and wireless, and get the same issue either way.

I have tried disabling IPv6, no help. I also tried with both the ISP-provided DNS serves and Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4), same trouble either way.

We have another PC on the same network, also wired, that has NO trouble with DNS, websites come up very fast. We've even swapped the router plug spots, to no avail.

On the problem PC I’ve even gone to a command prompt and typed in “nslookup”, and sometimes I get timeouts right away. Sometimes nslookup says:

Default Server: Unknown
    Address: 24.223.0.16

And sometimes it says:

Default Server: sulfur.intertech.net
    Address: 24.223.0.16

Either way, when I type in a domain like yahoo.com at the prompt, I often get:

DNS request times out
    Timeout was 2 seconds
    DNS request times out
    Timeout was 2 seconds
    DNS request times out
    Timeout was 2 seconds
    DNS request times out
    Timeout was 2 seconds

…for a bit. On the other hand, sometimes I don’t get any timeouts and the nslookup just resolves the way it’s supposed to.

My security/firewall is the basic Windows Defender built in one. This computer is a brand new windows 10 desktop.

Whatever do I do now? Having most webpages take 5-10 seconds before the DNS resolves and the page loads is driving us nuts! Why is DNS so compromised on this PC, regardless of DNS server specified, regardless of which network adapter (wired or wireless) I use? What’s my next step??

Thanks.

:)

Sindyr, Aug 31, 2015

2. Windows 10 DNS caching problem

After some time of messing around with the two windows 10 machines I have, one a laptop, the other a surface pro 4, I've consistently hit the DNS resolution issues that many other people have reported.

Basically what happens is DNS resolution stops functioning for a period of time, however previously cached domains still resolve. A simple and effective solution to this is to just flush dns cache with ipconfig /flushdns command. More frustrating is that
    it appears when DNS resolution fails, nxdomain is cached as well (which may actually be a significant part of the problem).

Microsoft network engineering should take a good look at how the resolver cache is handled, as it appears that some failure which results in DNS resolution failure will end up with a cached nxdomain (which should never happen). The fact that a simple dns
    flush fixes the problem instantly strongly suggests that there is a bug in this part of the code which needs closer examination.

ColinFaber, Aug 31, 2015
  3. *Please help ASAP* Many internet websites are getting blocked...

"They said that DNS should not be 192.168.0.1"

OK, so the DNS setting on your network connection should be pointing to whatever is managing your DNS resolution. This is commonly either a server on the network in an office or can be as simple
    as the router serving the network. If it's the router that you need to point to then this IP address may well be correct - this does sound like the sort of IP address a router would have so it sounds a little like jumping to conclusions.

If we assume that this is a DNS problem, and if its the DNS resolution from the router that's faulty (lots of IF's here!) then something you can try is pointing to an external DNS server. An easy
    one to use is google, so in the network adaptor settings change the DNS you mention above to 8.8.8.8

HTH

MarkInKent, Aug 31, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Google Chrome does have a known issue when trying to go to websites on Windows 10. It is a known bug that Google has to fix. Firefox works fine, do not know about Opera, since I have not tried it on 10.

If it has been happening with all browsers on your computer. Have you tried updating to the newest driver for the network device?

bro67, Sep 1, 2015
  5. Sindyr Win User
    I can try that, but since it happens on *both* the wired ethernet *and* the wifi (two entirely different adapters) I don't think that's the solution...

Sindyr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DNS resolution lag across entire machine, other PCs on network fine? - Similar Threads - DNS resolution lag

2. Svchost outgoing to external DNS servers other than my local DNS results in lagging network...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Svchost outgoing to external DNS servers other than my local DNS results in lagging network...: Svchost.exe is trying to reach external DNS servers UDP Port 53 despite local DNS configuration and this results in lagging applications and exposing DNS data to the internet.I have logged outgoing traffic from svchost local IP, windows 10 endpoint: <list of destination IP>...
  3. Svchost outgoing to external DNS servers other than my local DNS results in lagging network...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Svchost outgoing to external DNS servers other than my local DNS results in lagging network...: Svchost.exe is trying to reach external DNS servers UDP Port 53 despite local DNS configuration and this results in lagging applications and exposing DNS data to the internet.I have logged outgoing traffic from svchost local IP, windows 10 endpoint: <list of destination IP>...
  4. Svchost outgoing to external DNS servers other than my local DNS results in lagging network...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My PCs won't allow access to each other across my network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My PCs won't allow access to each other across my network: I’m having real problems with my home network which has been in use for the last 20+ years with few problems but since October last year the PCs refuse to allow access to each other and nothing I’ve tried has remedied the problem, access to the internet is unaffected. I am of...
  6. Windows blocks the entire internet network of other PCs and devices

Windows blocks the entire internet network of other PCs and devices: I'm here to ask you for help. In our broadcaster we have various PCs and servers running 24 hours a day. In the last few days, always at the usual times 00: 00/01: 00 - 08: 00/09: 00 - 13: 00/13: 30 approximately our network it reaches a ping of 400 and the download drops...
  7. cannot see other pcs on network????

cannot see other pcs on network????: all of a sudden, i cannot see the other 2 pcs on my network, nor can they see me. i have win 10 64 home on all, all updates as of today, have made sure 2 Function services are started, and all SMB file sharing boxes are checked in windows programs and features. i even tried...
  8. Other PCs on my Network???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Other PCs on my Network???: Hi guys, I've looked at my Network (This PC>Network) and have seen two other PC/Desktops that I don't recognise. What could this be and how can I find out? All help is appreciated! Thanks. submitted by /u/yeebaa [link] [comments]...
  9. Share PCs wifi internet with other PCs on the network

Share PCs wifi internet with other PCs on the network: I have an unusual situation as I only have mobile hotspot at the moment, I have 2 PCs which are on a network router, but only one has a wifi dongle to connect to the mobile hotspot. Is that anyway I can share the internet with the other PC on the network through the one...
  10. Printer Queue "Busy or Error" on Some Networked PCs, Others Works Fine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer Queue "Busy or Error" on Some Networked PCs, Others Works Fine: Hi all, I have an older Brother MFC-8840D laser printer that is part of my small office network. While yes, I know that it's an older piece of hardware, it still does the trick just fine when it wants to. Recently, I've had two machines become unable to send jobs to this...