Windows 10: Do all Windows 10 machines support External HDD higher than 2TB?

Discus and support Do all Windows 10 machines support External HDD higher than 2TB? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm aware about compatibility issues with Internal HDDs higher than 2TB (require UEFI and GPT iirc). I'm planning to buy a 5TB External HDD. But some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by crazyfool, Jul 26, 2019.

1. crazyfool Win User

Do all Windows 10 machines support External HDD higher than 2TB?

I'm aware about compatibility issues with Internal HDDs higher than 2TB (require UEFI and GPT iirc).

I'm planning to buy a 5TB External HDD. But some of the machines I intend to use this on do not have UEFI boards.

Are there hardware/software requirements to be able to use a >2TB External HDD?

Thanks.

:)

crazyfool, Jul 26, 2019

2. usb external HDD fat32 support ?

i have updated to WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY .. it made my PC and LAPTOP to stop recognising FAT32 EXTERNAL usb HDD 2TB. i had to revert back to older version of windows 10 in order to access the external-HDD

can you confirm that windows 10 latest update support FAT32 external usb drives?

khalidjamil, Jul 26, 2019
  3. Seagate 2TB External HDD

Hi,

Yes, it worked before. There is no error messages. Tried uninstalling the driver, does the same and used different usb ports plugged it into a friends laptop, it opened immediately. So, it is not the external HDD or some of the stuff on it.

My internal HDD has only about 50 Gig available. My computer is 7 years old. I7 870, 6 Gig ram. I uninstalled some programs that I thought, might cause the problem, it did not work. I am going to uninstall some games to get more space on HDD
    and see if it will work.

Thanks

D.P. du Plessis

Danie du Plessis, Jul 26, 2019
  4. Do all Windows 10 machines support External HDD higher than 2TB?

Windows 10 Backup does not recognize Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Drive

I did a test on my own computer and also a virtual machine, it turns out that the File History Service seems does no matter to the Backup feature, for my computer, this service is stopped by default and I can see my external HDD in the Windows Backup drive
    list.

So I'll suggest trying to update your Seagate HDD's driver and update Windows 10 to the latest.

Do all Windows 10 machines support External HDD higher than 2TB? 00374546-50f6-4e53-bed1-c0a73697a68e?upload=true.png

Dexter Lien, Jul 26, 2019
Thema:

Do all Windows 10 machines support External HDD higher than 2TB?

1. Do all Windows 10 machines support External HDD higher than 2TB? - Similar Threads - machines support External

2. Is there a window just one higher than 7.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a window just one higher than 7.: Split from this thread. Win 7 support ended Jan 2020 and at that time MS removed the backup installation media from its siteI have 11 games which I have to use Windows 7 in order to play them....
  3. Is there a window just one higher than 7.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a window just one higher than 7.: Split from this thread. Win 7 support ended Jan 2020 and at that time MS removed the backup installation media from its siteI have 11 games which I have to use Windows 7 in order to play them....
  4. Cant set resolution higher than 1080p on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant set resolution higher than 1080p on Windows 10: Hi all,I recently built a computer and installed windows 10 pro. I have a 1440p 144hz monitor and cant set it higher than 1080p 59.94 hz in the Windows settings.I installed newest AMD graphics drivers and I installed the latest AOC drivers for my monitor. I am using a Mini DP...
  5. Issues with Seagate 2tb Ultraslim HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Seagate 2tb Ultraslim HDD: Hi everyone. I am running Win 11 on an Acer Nitro AN515-55 I have a Seagate 2TB UltraSlim external hard drive. Last November my laptop started to update without my knowledge and froze. I rebooted and the laptop was stuck in boot. I realized the external hard drive was still...
  6. Higher Resolution than the screen supports/scale down below 100%?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Higher Resolution than the screen supports/scale down below 100%?: [ATTACH] Hi guys, Im looking for a way to apply a higher resolution to a screen than physically supported. I know that its physically impossible, but a rendered down version of 4k still has some practial uses, if your screen does not has to be pixel perfect, it can be...
  7. New Seagate 2TB HDD as an external drive connected via USB3 cable. Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Seagate 2TB HDD as an external drive connected via USB3 cable. Windows 10: The above drive appears in the BIOS, and I think in the device manager, but NOWHERE else. I want to format the drive, and use it. It is connected to an ASUS Notebook laptop....
  8. Temperature for Seagate 2TB HDD ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Temperature for Seagate 2TB HDD ?: Hi So i'm using a Seagate 2TB SATA 3 with 7200 RPM hard drive and just wanted to know what are the normal temps for it ? When in idle the HDD's temp is 42'C and when gaming it goes up to 55'C. If anyone has some info on this i'd greatly appreciate it because i don't know...
  9. Seagate 2tb external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate 2tb external drive: Bought a new usb cord since it kept randomly disconnecting the drive. It shows up in device management and on disk drives yet it says it cant initialize and wont show how much memory has been used or is available in volumes I dont know what to do...
  10. External 2TB HDD contents gone after creating bootable partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External 2TB HDD contents gone after creating bootable partition: So I did a partition on my Seagate external 2TB, used easeUS to move existing data at the back and created another 35GB partition for a windows recovery drive at the front which I have given a drive letter of 'R:' (the remaining data was having the drive letter at default...