Windows 10: Do CPU Microcode Updates Need to be Reinstalled if Win is Renstalled?

Discus and support Do CPU Microcode Updates Need to be Reinstalled if Win is Renstalled? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Microsoft has been releasing some of Intel's CPU Microcode updates to patch Spectre flaws as part of KB4090007. This update has to be downloaded and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hsehestedt, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Do CPU Microcode Updates Need to be Reinstalled if Win is Renstalled?

Microsoft has been releasing some of Intel's CPU Microcode updates to patch Spectre flaws as part of KB4090007. This update has to be downloaded and installed manually from the Windows Update Catalog - it won't just download automatically through Windows Update.

I'm not really familiar with Microcode updates. Is the Microcode update something that Windows applies or loads like a driver each time Windows is booted or is it permanent like a firmware update?

In other words, what I really want to know is whether I only need to install this once for my system or will I need to reinstall it if I reinstall a clean copy of Windows?

:)

hsehestedt, Mar 13, 2018
  2. JimWynne Win User

Intel microcode update

The microcode updates in question are developed by Intel, not Microsoft. Microsoft is just the delivery boy. Don't shoot the messenger. It's Intel that hasn't provided the update that you're looking for.

JimWynne, Mar 13, 2018
  3. 7sean68 Win User
    Intel microcode update

my pc is out of Support in HP but my windows is still supported and my cpu is still supported so it's microsoft responsibility to deliver intel microcode updates as it delivered microcode updates to other chips.

Right now windows loads an old version of microcode into processor and It's microsoft responsibility to load the new microcode since they made themselves responsible for delivering drivers and every manufacturer says that windows 10 drivers will be delivered
    through windows updates

OR they can at least make a tool for us to update microcode but I'm sure they won't!!

7sean68, Mar 13, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Do CPU Microcode Updates Need to be Reinstalled if Win is Renstalled?

Some microcode updates are supplied as a bios update from the manufacturer, other are loaded at boot by the OS.

This KB4090007 from Microsoft installs a file named mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll in System32 which Windows loads at boot. So yes, you'll need to reinstall it after a clean install.

5. Thanks. I very much appreciate your taking the time to answer this for me.

hsehestedt, Mar 13, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    You're welcome.

I have a personal interest in this as my OEM is not planning to issue a new bios for my older machine and MS have not (yet?) issued an update for my particular CPU.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Do CPU Microcode Updates Need to be Reinstalled if Win is Renstalled?

1. Do CPU Microcode Updates Need to be Reinstalled if Win is Renstalled? - Similar Threads - CPU Microcode Updates

2. Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello guys,so i just ordered a new motherboard and CPU, but a friend of mine said I maybe need to reinstall windows if neededso my question was do I need to reinstall windows and do I need to backup my PC, what do I need to do if I need to reinstall windows?I'm upgrading from...
  3. Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello guys,so i just ordered a new motherboard and CPU, but a friend of mine said I maybe need to reinstall windows if neededso my question was do I need to reinstall windows and do I need to backup my PC, what do I need to do if I need to reinstall windows?I'm upgrading from...
  4. New MB/CPU. Do I need to reinstall OS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New MB/CPU. Do I need to reinstall OS?: MB died. Getting a used replacement to swap in. Seamless? Would Win7 need to be reinstalled? Would Win10 need to be reinstalled? submitted by /u/CortexExport [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mf676j/new_mbcpu_do_i_need_to_reinstall_os/
  5. Microcode Update for Intel CPU's

Microcode Update for Intel CPU's: Hi! I update my laptop ME firmware and my CPU microcode, the last one via Windows Update. Is it going to be an update for desktop processors? Because the update for 10th gen Intel CPU's to update the microcode are only for mobile devices and i can't find one for desktop...
  6. Renstalling windows

Renstalling windows: Im reinstalling windows on to another drive, but im scared i might lose some data on my main C drive. My D, where im reinstalling windows is empty, will i lose any data in my C drive. Also will i need to reinstall everything? Such as drivers. I just want windows on another...
  7. Asus Z270K cpu microcode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Asus Z270K cpu microcode: Is this microcode an update that is to be installed because of the Meltdown issue? What are the actual steps to installing this type of file? I found reference to the Al Suite tools so I installed this Suite but when I clicked on the upgrade checking the result was that no...
  8. Recent ASUS BIOS update mentions CPU microcode update.

Recent ASUS BIOS update mentions CPU microcode update.: Just thought I'd see if there was a new BIOS available for my new ASUS Prime Z370-A and there was one available dated 4th January. It mentioned some stability updates and a "microcode update for the CPU". Do we think this relates to the recent Meltdown and Spectre...
  9. How to update the CPU's microcode

How to update the CPU's microcode: Good Morning All, I came from Linux to Windows 10. After 14 years, got tired of the Linux desktop mess. The experience has been good. I've been on W10 since the beginning of the year. Under Linux, CPU microcode updates were easy to deploy. My MB MFG (MSI) tells me short of...
  10. Asus CPU microcode update...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Asus CPU microcode update...: The system with Asus Prime Z370-A updated to BIOS version 0613, that includes the CPU microcode update. Benchmarking the drives and comparing to pre-update results show interesting results. System drive, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, M.2 NVMe x4 : [img] Updating the BIOS...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do you have to reinstal microcode updates every time you reintsal the os