Windows 10: Do I actually need to upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

Discus and support Do I actually need to upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been running W10 ( alongside W8.1 Pro ) ever since the first technical preview and now have an activated W10 Pro ( insider preview ). Is this the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cloggyjohn, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Do I actually need to upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

I've been running W10 ( alongside W8.1 Pro ) ever since the first technical preview and now have an activated W10 Pro ( insider preview ). Is this the final version or do I still need to upgrade from W8.1 ? As I understand it, users who took part in the IP programme received a free final version of W10 which would obviate the need to upgrade from W8.1

:)

cloggyjohn, Aug 14, 2015

2. upgrade from windows 8.1 home to windows 10 professional

I just purchased a windows 8.1 home machine and I need to upgrade it to a windows 10 pro OS. I have done the free update to windows 10 home but Im having a hard time finding the upgrade product key to go to the pro edition. Can it be done from the windows
    10 home or do I need to go back to windows 8.1, update that to 8.1 pro then update to windows 10 pro. Or can I purchase the upgrade only for windows 10 pro? I do not want to spend the 139.99 for a full OS.

caitlinpopple, Aug 14, 2015
  3. Mr. M. J. Win User
    Need to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro with my Windows 7 Pro license

My computer came with Windows 7 Pro (factory-activated), sadly with no license for Windows 8.1. It was in early 2014 and I bought myself a Windows 8.1 and did a clean install. Sadly, I didn’t pay up for Windows 8.1 Pro, thinking (wrongly) that I wouldn’t
    need it all that much.

I’m running that Windows 8.1 now, but my computer is also licensed to run Windows 7 Pro. I want to go to Windows 10 Pro. There is no way I would stay with Windows 10 Home. But I don’t feel like paying for Windows (or an upgrade) a third time!

The need to do in-place upgrade initially is already bothersome enough—but yes, I could re-install Windows 7 Pro on some other disk and have it upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. But then what? Since the free upgrade generates no product key… What are my
    options to actually upgrade my current 8.1 installation yet make it into a Pro one?

Does anyone have any idea what would happen if—after upgrading the Windows 7 Pro on this machine and thus making Windows 10 Pro licensed on this machine—I would then try to upgrade my current Windows 8.1 from a Windows 10 Pro ISO?

(I wonder why this upgrade had to be made so complicated license-wise? Why could Microsoft just
    not accept a Windows 7 Pro pruduct key?)

Mr. M. J., Aug 14, 2015
  4. Do I actually need to upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

That is not my understanding? Depends on whether the Windows 10 install was an upgrade from a qualifying OS or a clean install. If you originally did an upgrade from a qualifying OS, and now opt out, you should be fine. If you did a clean install and opt out, your subject to the same conditions anybody else is for the free upgrade. That's the way I understand it, its heavily debated around here though? If you want wait and see if activation times out on your 10 install. If it's going to time out I would think it will be before the one year period for the free upgrade. If it does do the free upgrade from 8.1 Pro. If it doesn't keep on going like you are now. If you really want to know, do a clean install of Windows 10 and see if it activates. Just click skip when asked for a product code.

alphanumeric, Aug 14, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    Berton, Aug 14, 2015
  6. Definitely seems to be some conflicting views on this subject, just managed to contact MS and according to them I need to upgrade from W8.1. Thanks for the quick replies.

cloggyjohn, Aug 14, 2015
  7. Gabe made a tweet that implied Insiders would get it free, but it was quickly corrected. It's been debated ever since.

alphanumeric, Aug 14, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Do I actually need to upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

In Windows 10, run Winver. If it says Build 10240, that's the final build everyone has.

In an elevated command prompt, type slmgr /xpr. If that says you are permanently activated, then that's exactly what it means. If you have build 10240 that is permanently activated that is exactly the same thing you would get if you upgraded from Windows 8.1.

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2015
  9. All 10240 builds say permanently activated with that command. Insider builds and consumer builds. I wouldn't go by that one indication. That's part of the debate. What you say may be true, I'm just a bit skeptical is all. Just my 2 cents on the subject. You can decide for yourself.

alphanumeric, Aug 15, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why would Microsoft lie about it?

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Lie about what? Link please so I know what your talking about? Last I heard, if you leave the Insiders program, you are subject to the same conditions for the free upgrade everybody else is? You must upgrade from a qualifying OS. If you clean installed the Insider Preview that does not meet the conditions of the free upgrade. https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...e-upgrade.html

alphanumeric, Aug 15, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    10240 is not an insider build. It is the final, released to the public build. If a person has build 10240 and it is permanently activated then they have the final non-insider build that is permanently activated. If they stay on as an insider, they may get a future insider preview build that will have an expiration date. If they do not remain an insider, when they turn off insider builds in Windows Update it still does not change the fact that they have a permanently activated final release version.

I had an insider preview build - slmgr /xpr showed it expired Jan, 2016. I now have build 10240, slmgr /xpr shows permanent activation. Whether I turn on insider builds under Windows Update or turn it off, the activation stays the same - permanent.

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2015
  13. derekimo Win User

It is also the last insider build, my laptop is running it right now.

derekimo, Aug 15, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    and is it permanently activated, or does it have an expiration date?

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2015
  15. derekimo Win User
    I'm sure it has an expiration date, I'll check it in a minute.

My point was it is also build 10240, same as final release.

You said it wasn't an insiders build but it is.

derekimo, Aug 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Do I actually need to upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro - Similar Threads - actually need upgrade

2. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  3. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  4. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  5. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  6. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

7. Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10: I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade the Windows of my old laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 for my childrens use for online classes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-windows-8-pro-to-windows-10/3025b42a-4a0e-42d6-add5-d42101c099f4
  8. Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10

Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10: I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade the Windows of my old laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 for my childrens use for online classes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-windows-8-pro-to-windows-10/3025b42a-4a0e-42d6-add5-d42101c099f4
  9. windows 8 pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 8 pro upgrade: my laptop came with windows 8 pro . what I understand is that windows 8 key is preset in BIOS. But when i upgraded to widnows 10 it upgraded to Home edition. I tried going to " upgrade to windows 10 pro" in microsoft store. but its asking me for key. what should i do....
  10. Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home: Hello, I have 2 laptops, one old(1st) and other new(2nd). The 1st laptop had Windows 7 Home pre-installed which was later upgraded to Windows 8 Pro through Windows 8 Upgrade Offer. This again was upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. The 2nd PC came with Windows 10 Home...