Windows 10: Do I Clone or Image my Win10 SSD to NVMe?

Discus and support Do I Clone or Image my Win10 SSD to NVMe? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I would like to move my OS from a smaller 240gb SSD (running out of room) to a 512gb NVMe SSD. What is the better option-do I clone or image the OS and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by boidsonly, May 26, 2017.

1. boidsonly Win User

Do I Clone or Image my Win10 SSD to NVMe?

I would like to move my OS from a smaller 240gb SSD (running out of room) to a 512gb NVMe SSD. What is the better option-do I clone or image the OS and all its partitions to the NVMe? Are there any need to know pointers before I attemp it?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Jeff

:)

boidsonly, May 26, 2017
  2. YuanSR Win User

Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

Get a disk cloning software and do the cloning job, from HDD to SSD on PC.

Change boot priority to cloned SSD in BIOS or remove HDD to test if you can boot up successfully.

Cloning method is safe but still it is good to create a backup image for your Win10 before you start.

For detailed steps with screenshots, you may need:
    migrate Windows 10 to SSD without data loss

YuanSR, May 26, 2017
  3. When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, update fails and I get 80070002-20009 error

For me this may be an issue with my cloned SSD via Macrium software. I tried to create a USB boot recovery from the cloned SSD Win 8.1 image but it fails. Recovery drive program also greys out the option to copy the recovery partition which implies it
    is bad. Disk Manager shows recovery partition healthy? If I boot using the 8.1 image on the original HDD RecoveryDrive.exe works. I suspect the recovery function is needed for the Windows 10 Upgrade process. Maybe I could upgrade Win10 from the HDD image
    but that's a year old on my machine. I may spend some time trying to get 8.1 SSD recovery to work with the hope that it fixes this Win10 update error or just do a clean install on Win10 to the SSD and restore programs and data after that. Windows 10 isn't
    enough of a priority for me at the moment so it may be a while before I revisit this. Maybe others could see if their recovery drive function is also broke and if not dismiss this as only an isolated case for me and unrelated to this issue.

MikeRussell_929, May 26, 2017
  4. Do I Clone or Image my Win10 SSD to NVMe?

If you clone it, it will clone all that is sees and will not fill up the new drive and will leave extra space blank. All you would have to do is extend the volume in admin tools/ Computer management. I think this is better than imaging it.

Josey Wales, May 26, 2017
  5. boidsonly Win User
    Done; up and running. I'll extend the volume tomorrow. Many thanks!

boidsonly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Do I Clone or Image my Win10 SSD to NVMe?

1. Do I Clone or Image my Win10 SSD to NVMe? - Similar Threads - Clone Image Win10

2. System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME: I cloned my SSD to my NVME SSD succesfully, but when I am trying to boot from the NVME it will display two different kinds of error messages depending on if I am booting with Legacy or UEFI. If I am booting with Legacy or UEFI with CSM, it will display a black screen that...
  3. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  4. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  5. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD

No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD: I have used Aomei Backupper to clone a Windows 10 Pro SATA3 SSD to a new NVMe M2 SSD. It went well and I now have a new boot drive but the cloning process did not copy over the Recovery Partition from the original SSD. Is that a problem? Thanks 179622
  7. HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone: Here is my issues, after cloning, I can find the SSD but once boot with that the screen is hanging. Have to use HDD to boot. Please help how to modify it. Do I need to redo it. [img] [img] 175565
  8. SATA SSD-> NVMe clone exercise - post-clone difficulties

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SATA SSD-> NVMe clone exercise - post-clone difficulties: Hey All, (this thread has been raised on HP forums under: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...m/td-p/7340240 I also raised separate thread here: Windows 10 restarts to black screen after SSD clone) I decided to move off SATA SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) to NVMe SSA (SAMSUNG...
  9. Is it recommended to clone Win10 19H1 OS from a pyrite supported NVMe SSD to an IEEE On...

Is it recommended to clone Win10 19H1 OS from a pyrite supported NVMe SSD to an IEEE On...: We are seeing failures while cloning OS from Pyrite supported NVMe SSD to IEEE ON supported NVMe SSD. WOuld like to understand the implication of doing this from the Windows front....
  10. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?: I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card. The issue is what hardware to use to clone the old drive to the new one. My mobo has one M.2 slot for SSD's so I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2...