Windows 10: Do I have to buy a new license key if the machine with my old key can no longer be turned on

Discus and support Do I have to buy a new license key if the machine with my old key can no longer be turned on in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I recently built a new machine as my old one broke, the old computer had an activated copy of Windows 10 Pro but i was not able to reset it before it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by VihaanHazarika, May 9, 2022.

1. Do I have to buy a new license key if the machine with my old key can no longer be turned on

I recently built a new machine as my old one broke, the old computer had an activated copy of Windows 10 Pro but i was not able to reset it before it died nor am i able to turn it on. I have access to the license key but windows is telling me that it is not available for use, is there a way to remotely transfer my license key onto this new computer?

:)

VihaanHazarika, May 9, 2022

2. License key

One license is for ONE installation.

If the Laptop/Computer came with the Windows Operating System preinstalled (Dell, HP, Acer, etc) , that Product Key that came with the Laptop/Computer is for the preinstalled OEM License
    and is non-transferable.

The OEM License/Product Key (preinstalled Operating Systems on Dell, HP, etc machines) is tied to the first machine it is installed on and dies when that machine dies.

The above rule also applies to OEM System Builders Licenses.

Retail Operating System License, that you buy and install yourself, are allowed to be transferred to another machine.

But Retail Licenses can also only be installed on one machine at any particular time.

Bill Smithers, May 9, 2022
  3. tubelix Win User
    License key

Hi,

I have a Lenovo computer that I have now used for over four years. I am thinking of buying a new pc that I will, myself build. I was thinking since the prices are huge for a new Windows 10 license, that can I somehow, take my license key from my old computer,
    disable it, and then use the same license key in the new pc? To make it easy: Can I use a license key twice, if I disable it from my old computer and insert it in the new one?

Thanks for the help in advance.

tubelix, May 9, 2022
  4. alexp999 Win User

Do I have to buy a new license key if the machine with my old key can no longer be turned on

[WTB]   Vista Ultimate x64 key

You cant buy keys, only physical objects, i.e cd and key. its in the forum rules.

alexp999, May 9, 2022
Thema:

Do I have to buy a new license key if the machine with my old key can no longer be turned on

1. Do I have to buy a new license key if the machine with my old key can no longer be turned on - Similar Threads - buy license key

2. Do I have to buy another key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I have to buy another key: So I bought a windows 7 ultimate product key to activate windows because I want to install win8.1 on my computer. It is still asking me for a key and when I put mine in it says it’s not working. I do not want to buy another key and I am using the iso file....
  3. Do I have to buy another key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I have to buy another key: So I bought a windows 7 ultimate product key to activate windows because I want to install win8.1 on my computer. It is still asking me for a key and when I put mine in it says it’s not working. I do not want to buy another key and I am using the iso file....
  4. my old key can no longer be turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my old key can no longer be turned on: I build a new PC and I want to use my old key on it since it is not working anymore. I install the correct edition of Windows which is home. I got the old one from upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 before. How can I do that?...
  5. my old key can no longer be turned on

my old key can no longer be turned on: I build a new PC and I want to use my old key on it since it is not working anymore. I install the correct edition of Windows which is home. I got the old one from upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 before. How can I do that?...
  6. my old key can no longer be turned on

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Do I have to buy a new license key if the machine with my old key can no longer be turned on

Do I have to buy a new license key if the machine with my old key can no longer be turned on: I recently built a new machine as my old one broke, the old computer had an activated copy of Windows 10 Pro but i was not able to reset it before it died nor am i able to turn it on. I have access to the license key but windows is telling me that it is not available for use,...
  8. Do I have to buy a new license key if the machine with my old key can no longer be turned on

Do I have to buy a new license key if the machine with my old key can no longer be turned on: I recently built a new machine as my old one broke, the old computer had an activated copy of Windows 10 Pro but i was not able to reset it before it died nor am i able to turn it on. I have access to the license key but windows is telling me that it is not available for use,...
  9. Can I get my old window license key after activating with OEM license key?

Can I get my old window license key after activating with OEM license key?: Hello,I would like to know it is possible to get old window license key I think it will be retail or other in my laptop that I had used after I activated with OEM license key.With this OEM, window can't update andsome features will not work.So, I want to reactivate my window...
  10. Do I have to buy a new license?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I have to buy a new license?: A couple years ago I bought a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Home pre-installed. I'm currently building a PC. Do I have to buy a new license, or can I somehow transfer the license to my new computer? submitted by /u/PM_ME_SUPAIDAMAN [link] [comments]...