Windows 10: Do I have to buy a new Windows 10 License after I upgrade my CPU and switch to new SSD?

Discus and support Do I have to buy a new Windows 10 License after I upgrade my CPU and switch to new SSD? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a PC recently from a friend and bought a Win10 License, now I want to upgrade its CPU and operating the Windows on SSD, I know license... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Kesik, May 4, 2020.

1. Kesik Win User

Do I have to buy a new Windows 10 License after I upgrade my CPU and switch to new SSD?

Hi,

I bought a PC recently from a friend and bought a Win10 License, now I want to upgrade its CPU and operating the Windows on SSD, I know license sticks to the MOBO but is CPU and storage chancges counts as big upgrades and forces me to buy new license?

Thanks a lot.

:)

Kesik, May 4, 2020
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, May 4, 2020
  3. Move SSD (with windows 10) from old to new desktop

Hello Greg,

I may try your suggestion of moving the SSD and buying a new windows 10 license. I also marked question answered in your first post.

In hindsight, I should have not upgraded to W10 and saved $139. Then built the new PC & bought a new W10 license.

Rajesh

Rajesh_rpv, May 4, 2020
  4. krimetal Win User

Do I have to buy a new Windows 10 License after I upgrade my CPU and switch to new SSD?

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, May 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Do I have to buy a new Windows 10 License after I upgrade my CPU and switch to new SSD? - Similar Threads - buy License upgrade

2. Can I clone my SSD and not have to buy a new Windows license on the new drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I clone my SSD and not have to buy a new Windows license on the new drive?: Can I clone my SSD and not have to buy a new Windows license on the new drive? As im planning on moving from a 128 gb ssd to 500gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-clone-my-ssd-and-not-have-to-buy-a-new/445c1812-9c7e-412f-85fd-5f6903327861
  3. Can I clone my SSD and not have to buy a new Windows license on the new drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I clone my SSD and not have to buy a new Windows license on the new drive?: Can I clone my SSD and not have to buy a new Windows license on the new drive? As im planning on moving from a 128 gb ssd to 500gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-clone-my-ssd-and-not-have-to-buy-a-new/445c1812-9c7e-412f-85fd-5f6903327861
  4. Can I clone my SSD and not have to buy a new Windows license on the new drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will I have to buy a new license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will I have to buy a new license?: My husband's computer was borked due to the combination of a Windows Update and a bad disk drive. I am having to totally replace the drive that had Windows installed on it, and reinstall Windows 11. Am I going to have to buy a whole new license or is there a way to use his...
  6. Will I have to buy a new license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will I have to buy a new license?: My husband's computer was borked due to the combination of a Windows Update and a bad disk drive. I am having to totally replace the drive that had Windows installed on it, and reinstall Windows 11. Am I going to have to buy a whole new license or is there a way to use his...
  7. Windows License and switching to new CPU/GPU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows License and switching to new CPU/GPU: Hello, I am going to be upgrading my motherboard/CPU soon however I have been researching and have run into a problem with Windows 10 licenses and upgrading. My question is, I have Windows 10 Home WindowsR Operating System, RETAIL channel, do I need to upgrade to Windows...
  8. Do I have to buy a new license?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I have to buy a new license?: A couple years ago I bought a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Home pre-installed. I'm currently building a PC. Do I have to buy a new license, or can I somehow transfer the license to my new computer? submitted by /u/PM_ME_SUPAIDAMAN [link] [comments]...
  9. Do I need to buy another Windows 10 Home, if I will upgrade my PC with new Motherboard, CPU...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do I need to buy another Windows 10 Home, if I will upgrade my PC with new Motherboard, CPU...: Hello! Ok, most important thing here is Motherboard or CPU. So, I plan to upgrade this 3 components. I heard, that, if you upgrade motherboard, you lose Windows 10. But, don't get me wrong. I mean PREINSTALLED Windows 10 Home in PREMADE PC. So, I didn't buy Windows 10...
  10. Buying a new Mobo, CPU, and GPU. Have an SSD with windows 10 in it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Buying a new Mobo, CPU, and GPU. Have an SSD with windows 10 in it.: Hi I'm currently gonna buy a new Motherboard and cpu and ram and gpu. I want to use my current SSD that has windows installed already, i built this computer, what do i have to do in order to avoid any errors?...