Windows 10: Do I have to format a hdd on a new windows 10 PC that has windows 7 on it?

Discus and support Do I have to format a hdd on a new windows 10 PC that has windows 7 on it? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; so lately I've been trying to recover data off a HDD I took it out of a 9 year old laptop replaced it with my main drive in my PC booted up into bios... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Aland.mp4, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Aland.mp4 Win User

Do I have to format a hdd on a new windows 10 PC that has windows 7 on it?

so lately I've been trying to recover data off a HDD I took it out of a 9 year old laptop replaced it with my main drive in my PC booted up into bios and surprisingly it's still alive healthy and quite! I booted onto it with windows 7 everything worked fine besides the mouse and keyboards and it had a password on itnow my question is can I use it as a second drive and get my files in windows 10 in file explorer?people have been saying I don't need to format it since it pretty much uses the same system and it could be able to read it without needing to format it but idk I cannot get the answer

:)

Aland.mp4, Dec 4, 2022
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 4, 2022
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Hi guys,
    Okay, so I wanted to know, I currently have a pc at home with a paid Windows 7 installed. I am getting a new computer either Friday or Monday with an SSD. Seeing as I want Windows 10 now and not 7 and I want it on my SSD how to I get to do this. I already downloaded a Windows 10 file in order to make one of my flash drives eligible for a windows 10 installation.

Will it be possible for me to just install windows 10 on the new SSD with this flash drive using my Windows 7 key, whilst my original windows 7 is still installed on the old Hard drive. And if it is how to I go about deleting my old OS from the HDD, seeing as I also want to use that HDD in my new pc, without formatting all the games I have on it currently?

Thank you in advance

MichaelDFF, Dec 4, 2022
  4. Flow Win User

Windows 10 formatting ?

We upgraded windows 7 to 10. Many crashes and errors after that. So a format and clean install of windows 10. Activated automatically. Zero issues and no more crashes etc etc.
    So I'm inclined to say to just go for it. And if a problem, then use your windows 7 key.

Flow, Dec 4, 2022
Thema:

1. Do I have to format a hdd on a new windows 10 PC that has windows 7 on it? - Similar Threads - format hdd has

2. Do I have to format a hdd on a new windows 10 PC that has windows 7 on it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I have to format a hdd on a new windows 10 PC that has windows 7 on it?: so lately I've been trying to recover data off a HDD I took it out of a 9 year old laptop replaced it with my main drive in my PC booted up into bios and surprisingly it's still alive healthy and quite! I booted onto it with windows 7 everything worked fine besides the mouse...
  3. How to format hdd having installed windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to format hdd having installed windows 7: How do I format hdd having installed windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-hdd-having-installed-windows-7/878bb244-9705-4d9e-b480-f276750e2b5d
  4. How to format hdd having installed windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to format hdd having installed windows 7: How do I format hdd having installed windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-hdd-having-installed-windows-7/878bb244-9705-4d9e-b480-f276750e2b5d
  5. New PC, Windows 10 Not Seeing HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New PC, Windows 10 Not Seeing HDD: Hello, I just recently built a computer, Mobo - b365m pro 4 asrock Processor - i3-9100f SSD - 2.5" SATA III 256GB Geforce gt 1030 PSU - PS 500WF I can access BIOS just fine, it will launch the Windows 10 install wizard from the new USB I bought and I can put in...
  6. Windows 7 OS HDD merge to new Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 7 OS HDD merge to new Windows 10: So i found an old hard drive in my basement, as i remember it is an windows 7 hard drive with my old files in it. Now i have a new pc with windows 10 HDD in it, can i put the old hard drive to retrieve my old files? Btw i dont know if my old hard drive is still working, is...
  7. Windows 7 on New PC to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 7 on New PC to Windows 10?: I am building my first PC. So I was looking online, and windows 10 keys are cheaper than buying the CD that installs windows 10. We have a windows 7 cd at home with the used code still that we could use to boot up the computer and THEN change it to windows 10 and put in the...
  8. I have a 2TB HDD with a prior installation of Windows 10 on it. Can I format this as a...

I have a 2TB HDD with a prior installation of Windows 10 on it. Can I format this as a...: Can I format this as a clean 2TB drive? And. Do I use NTFS to do so? Please explain as google is no help. PS> I installed a new Windows 10 image on my new HDD which is what I boot up with. I have 4 - 2TB drives. 2 for data, 1 with the old Windows 10 install (the one I want to...
  9. How do I clone a HDD Windows 10 -> windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I clone a HDD Windows 10 -> windows 7?: I have one computer with Win 7 pro and recently purchased one with Windows 10. Both 64 bit. I swapped my data HDD from the win 7 computer to the one running win 10. I now would like to clone the data HDD back to the older win 7 machine to have the information present on...
  10. Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD

Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD: My situation is this: I have now Windows 7 in my HDD, and I just bought a new SSD to install Windows 10 in. Also bought a new Windows 7 license (old one is pirated *Rolleyes). I'm going to install Win7, then upgrade to Windows 10 and do clean install. The question is, will I...