Windows 10: Do I have to format my external hard drive if it is already in NTFS and contains my...

Discus and support Do I have to format my external hard drive if it is already in NTFS and contains my... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Before creating a backup : Question - My external hard drive is already in NTFS and contains some of my personal data. Do I have to format my external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Arpit Meghwal, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Do I have to format my external hard drive if it is already in NTFS and contains my...

Before creating a backup :

Question - My external hard drive is already in NTFS and contains some of my personal data. Do I have to format my external hard drive before creating a backup?

:)

Arpit Meghwal, Sep 24, 2020

2. Format external backup drive for NTFS

I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?

RobertNelson8, Sep 24, 2020
  3. external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Do I have to format my external hard drive if it is already in NTFS and contains my...

Format external hard drive

Hello Lilly, hope this message finds you well.

1. The first method is to format the external hard drive from File Explorer:

Press Windows + X buttons together and find File Explorer

Tap on This PC to check if the external hard drive is detected

Right click on the external hard drive and tap on Format

Choose the format (NTFS, FAT32) and tap on Start

Once the format is done, click on OK

2. The second method is to format the external hard drive through Disk Management:

Select the Start button and open Computer Management.

Open Control Panel - System and Security - Administrative Tools, and double-click on Computer Management.

Select Disk Management on the left pane under Storage.

Right-click the volume that you’d like to format, and then select Format.

If you want to format the volume with the default settings, select ok, in the Format dialog box, and then select ok again.

IMPORTANT: Before formatting the external hard drive, take back up of all your data because this operation can result in losing important data.

____

Steve

Steve Merik, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

Do I have to format my external hard drive if it is already in NTFS and contains my...

1. Do I have to format my external hard drive if it is already in NTFS and contains my... - Similar Threads - format external hard

2. External Hard Drive Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Format: Good day everyone. I'm having difficulties with formatting my external hard drive. For the past 2-3 days, I've been trying to format it. It started acting up after sending 2 files of about 5gb each, I transferred these files at night, then the following day, it doesn't show...
  3. Bitlocker requres NTFS but my drive is already NTFS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker requres NTFS but my drive is already NTFS: I am trying to turn on bitlocker for my main (C:) drive which us NTFS system. My second drive on which I have linux installed isn't obviously. Bitlocker says that I need to convert my filesystem to NTFS and try again. What is happening? submitted by /u/jeezuschristie...
  4. I need to format my external hard drive to NTFS from raw but it won’t allow me.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need to format my external hard drive to NTFS from raw but it won’t allow me.: As the title states my external hard drive won’t reformat and when trying to do research for viable information I get directed to data recovery sites. I have no data on the hard drive I just wiped it because I’m trying to use it to back up and restore my PS4 and have been on...
  5. How can I format my 320gb external hard drive into NTFS while overcoming the 32gb...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I format my 320gb external hard drive into NTFS while overcoming the 32gb...: I am running Windows 10 & wanted to use my 320gb external hard drive to store a system image. But it is formatted in FAT32, not NTFS. I can re-format it to NTFS, but I cannot overcome the 32GB capacity limitation in Windows. Can this be done? If so, How?...
  6. Format external hard drive

Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/ceefbfcb-e153-43f1-aa11-66086963ac41"
  7. Format external hard drive

Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/78657fa9-d525-422d-a53a-44d4f459d0b4"
  8. Formatting External hard drive

Formatting External hard drive: Hi, I'm trying to reformat an external hard drive I own, when I go to disk management and right click the drive their is no format option. Not like it is grayed out and cannot click on it, it just isn't there. Anyone have any suggestions?...
  9. Format external backup drive for NTFS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format external backup drive for NTFS: I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?...
  10. Cannot Format my External Hard drive

Cannot Format my External Hard drive: When I plug my external into my pc it tells me it's unable to use and to format the drive. So I try to do so, and Windows tells me that there's a program using the external drive. I attempt to format anyway since I know there's no programs using the drive, and after a...