Windows 10: Do I have to reinstall Windows when I change my motherboard?

Discus and support Do I have to reinstall Windows when I change my motherboard? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I'm rebuilding my PC with a new motherboard (ASUS PRIME Z390-P) and processor (i5-9600K). My old motherboard was : ASUS H87M-PRO and the processor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tobiassi2, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Tobiassi2 Win User

Do I have to reinstall Windows when I change my motherboard?

Hi, I'm rebuilding my PC with a new motherboard (ASUS PRIME Z390-P) and processor (i5-9600K). My old motherboard was : ASUS H87M-PRO and the processor i7-4770

I've heard that it depends on the chipset whether I can install my old SSD in the new PC and whether I can install Windows directly?

I know that I can theoretically read my key with such programs, but it would be practically easy to convert and it works 100% perfect Do I have to reinstall Windows when I change my motherboard? :D

Thanks in advance for helpful answers

:)

Tobiassi2, Jun 13, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

Change motherboards without reinstalling Windows 7!

it is quite possible. i've done it dozens of times.

I dont really recommend it however, better to have a fresh install of windows so you dont get all sorts of leftover junk (old drivers etc)

Mussels, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Change motherboards without reinstalling Windows 7!

Don't even need to go through all those steps. Once you got into safe mode,windows 7 will rebuild it's drivers automatically. Boot normally and then install chipset drivers if not already in.

Edit:
    One thing though, it gets hectic with RAID and you will NEED to reinstall/rebuild the array. Only circumstance where you will find driver conflicts.

Edit2:

See edit 1 peet.

JrRacinFan, Jun 13, 2020
  4. jpierce55 Win User

Reinstall Windows?

You don't need to reinstall windows. Go to the device manager and remove uninstall the processor and motherboard drivers listed. When you start the system back up you should be able to re-install the new ones. I just changed my mobo/processor Friday, everything is fine.

BTW I have seen some reviews that state practically no difference in using more than 2gb of ram.

jpierce55, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Do I have to reinstall Windows when I change my motherboard? - Similar Threads - reinstall change motherboard

2. how do I use my oem license when changing A MOTHERBOARD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I use my oem license when changing A MOTHERBOARD: dell 5515 motherboard is intermitant and I need to change it, It isn't dead. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-use-my-oem-license-when-changing-a/53039c99-2741-46c0-8dca-08f15bfd5db6
  3. how do I use my oem license when changing A MOTHERBOARD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I use my oem license when changing A MOTHERBOARD: dell 5515 motherboard is intermitant and I need to change it, It isn't dead. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-use-my-oem-license-when-changing-a/53039c99-2741-46c0-8dca-08f15bfd5db6
  4. Do i have to reinstall win 11 after motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do i have to reinstall win 11 after motherboard upgrade: I am upgrading from a msi b550 to a msi x570 and will I need to reinstall windows because of the small chipset change.The cpu gpu and ram and ssd are same though....
  5. Do i have to reinstall win 11 after motherboard upgrade

Do i have to reinstall win 11 after motherboard upgrade: I am upgrading from a msi b550 to a msi x570 and will I need to reinstall windows because of the small chipset change.The cpu gpu and ram and ssd are same though....
  6. Do I have to reinstall Linux when I reinstall Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I have to reinstall Linux when I reinstall Windows 11?: I have to reinstall Windows 11. How do I do this without reinstalling Linux? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-have-to-reinstall-linux-when-i-reinstall/0121dc11-a979-42da-a6b6-148437992ae2
  7. Do I have to reinstall Linux when I reinstall Windows 11?

Do I have to reinstall Linux when I reinstall Windows 11?: I have to reinstall Windows 11. How do I do this without reinstalling Linux? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-have-to-reinstall-linux-when-i-reinstall/0121dc11-a979-42da-a6b6-148437992ae2
  8. Do I have to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I have to reinstall windows?: I have a retail version of Windows 10 installed on my SSD. I plan on upgrading my motherboard, just a quick question: Do I have to reinstall windows from scratch or can I just plug in my SSD that has windows and be done with it once I install my new motherboard? Also, if I...
  9. Do you have to reinstall after changing the motherboard?

Do you have to reinstall after changing the motherboard?: Hello, I have changed my motherboard socket 1150 to a motherboard with a socket 1151. Now I still have all the data on the hard disk and also Windows 10 Pro with the activation. But it is still recommended to reinstall the hard disk with Windows, because of the drivers etc....
  10. Do I need to reinstall windows when upgrading my motherboard?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Do I need to reinstall windows when upgrading my motherboard?: Hi, I am soon going to be upgrading my motherboard and cpu. I am going from a z370 chipset to an x570 chipset. I am currently running windows 10 pro. Do i need to reinstall windows? If not, is there any drivers that i need to remove? Some places say that you should reinstall,...