Windows 10: Do I keep my Windows after a motherboard and CPU swap?

Discus and support Do I keep my Windows after a motherboard and CPU swap? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a hard drive. It's a 500 gb SSD and I wonder if I keep my Windows if I use it with another motherboard. I'm going to switch to AMD and so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Neeexxxi, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Neeexxxi Win User

Do I keep my Windows after a motherboard and CPU swap?

I have a hard drive. It's a 500 gb SSD and I wonder if I keep my Windows if I use it with another motherboard. I'm going to switch to AMD and so I needed a new motherboard. What happens if I connect my used SSD with the new motherboard? Does nothing happen, do I lose my data or is the SSD not recognized at all? I have absolutely no idea what could happen so I ask here. Hope you can help me Do I keep my Windows after a motherboard and CPU swap? :)

:)

Neeexxxi, Jun 7, 2020
  2. JaYp146 Win User

[FS][US] CPU, NForce4 skt 754 motherboard (with PCI-express slot, rare!), DDR RAM

bump, CPU's stepping is now listed.

JaYp146, Jun 7, 2020
  3. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 7, 2020
  4. VisioWL Win User

Windows 10 not activated after motherboard swap

Hi,

I've ran into interesting problem after swapping out my computer's motherboard. The old motherboard contained a windows 8.1 pro key in the bios and the computer was upgraded to window 10 pro. After I swapped out the motherboard, the old one was fried, and
    put the new one in, I can't activate windows anymore.

The new motherboard contains a new windows 8.1 key but is there a way to activate it? Or do i simply have to reinstall windows 10?

Best regards.

VisioWL, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Do I keep my Windows after a motherboard and CPU swap? - Similar Threads - keep motherboard CPU

2. How do I reactivate Windows after swapping motherboards

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I reactivate Windows after swapping motherboards: My original retail key was for Windows 7 Pro but has upgraded to 11 since then. Currently running Windows 10 Pro since 2015 with my original PC build. Upgraded the motherboard to support Windows 11, and now Windows wants me to Activate Windows. Is there any way to get the...
  3. How do I reactivate Windows after swapping motherboards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reactivate Windows after swapping motherboards: My original retail key was for Windows 7 Pro but has upgraded to 11 since then. Currently running Windows 10 Pro since 2015 with my original PC build. Upgraded the motherboard to support Windows 11, and now Windows wants me to Activate Windows. Is there any way to get the...
  4. How do I reactivate Windows after swapping motherboards

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows will not activate after motherboard, memory, and CPU swap, while also rejecting...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows will not activate after motherboard, memory, and CPU swap, while also rejecting...: I swapped the motherboard in what used to be a Dell Inspiron 3847, and since windows deactivated and once I click troubleshoot and click I changed hardware on this device recently, but comes up with "Unable to activate Windows. We can't reactivate as our servers aren't...
  6. Windows activation after motherboard swap

Windows activation after motherboard swap: I called Microsoft support to help with activating windows after I changed my motherboard. I have a digital licence that I received when upgrading from Windows 7 years ago. This had survived a previous motherboard swap a few years ago with no issue. Support told me there...
  7. Windows not Reactivating after Motherboard Swap

Windows not Reactivating after Motherboard Swap: Hey everyone, I just swapped out my motherboard on my computer and got the activate windows message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. Before replacing my motherboard, I had a Windows 10 Pro license. The troubleshooter doesn't seem to allow me to re-activate...
  8. Reactivation after motherboard swap

Reactivation after motherboard swap: I switched out my motherboard last night and now Windows is telling me it can't activate. How do I use the windows key I just purchased a couploe months ago?...
  9. Reactivating Windows After Swapping Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating Windows After Swapping Motherboard: I need to swap motherboards, and I was wondering how I go about transferring my current windows 10 license to my new computer - I don't have access to the license key, however the desktop is registered to my Microsoft account. I don't currently have access to the desktop,...
  10. Reactivation after motherboard swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivation after motherboard swap: My motherboard died, I'm going to get a new one that's going to be a different brand so I imagine Win 10 will notice. I'm aware that the proper way to reactivate after a hardware change is to link your license to an MS account. The thing is, I never linked the license to an...