Windows 10: Do I need 2 Recovery Drives in MBR - can't add 5 partition

Discus and support Do I need 2 Recovery Drives in MBR - can't add 5 partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] I have an HP computer with an MBR setup running Windows 10 Version 20H2. I want to dual boot my machine with Linux, which would usually be an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Floridagal, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Do I need 2 Recovery Drives in MBR - can't add 5 partition

Do I need 2 Recovery Drives in MBR - can't add 5 partition [​IMG]

I have an HP computer with an MBR setup running Windows 10 Version 20H2. I want to dual boot my machine with Linux, which would usually be an easy thing to do except for 2 Recovery Drives taking up 2 of the only 4 partitions allowed in MBR. Instead of getting a menu to be able to remove one of them, I get a Help option which is basically useless. The main C: drive gives me a warning about changing to a dynamic drive if I try to work with that one. So I am stuck with a huge amount of wasted space in my C: drive that I will never use.

:)

Floridagal, Nov 22, 2020

2. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Do I need 2 Recovery Drives in MBR - can't add 5 partition

Do I need 2 Recovery Drives in MBR - can't add 5 partition [​IMG]

I have an HP computer with an MBR setup running Windows 10 Version 20H2. I want to dual boot my machine with Linux, which would usually be an easy thing to do except for 2 Recovery Drives taking up 2 of the only 4 partitions allowed in MBR. Instead of getting a menu to be able to remove one of them, I get a Help option which is basically useless. The main C: drive gives me a warning about changing to a dynamic drive if I try to work with that one. So I am stuck with a huge amount of wasted space in my C: drive that I will never use.

Floridagal, Nov 22, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

Do I need 2 Recovery Drives in MBR - can't add 5 partition

Convert the drive to uefi gpt using mbr2gpt ?

cereberus, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Do I need 2 Recovery Drives in MBR - can't add 5 partition - Similar Threads - need Recovery Drives

2. Do I really need 2 recovery partitions?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I really need 2 recovery partitions?: [IMG] submitted by /u/ProGamer1151 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kj0x6i/do_i_really_need_2_recovery_partitions/
  3. 2 recovery partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 recovery partitions: Hi I was looking at my c drive ssd why are there 2 recovery partitions [ATTACH]ho can i fix tat beau? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-recovery-partitions/572b7a27-a09c-446a-a060-dafa6c9493c1
  4. Do I need 2 Recovery Drives in MBR - can't add 5 partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I need 2 Recovery Drives in MBR - can't add 5 partition: [img] I have an HP computer with an MBR setup running Windows 10 Version 20H2. I want to dual boot my machine with Linux, which would usually be an easy thing to do except for 2 Recovery Drives taking up 2 of the only 4 partitions allowed in MBR. Instead of getting a menu...
  5. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  6. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  7. Do I need three recovery partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I need three recovery partitions?: Ideally I want to consolidate space in my C: drive so I can make a small Linux installation. I'm just wondering if these three recovery partitions are necessary. Also would installing the small Linux partition on my storage drive be an feasible option? [img] 152645
  8. 2 recovery partitions

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2 recovery partitions: after performing an upgrade, I have 2 recovery partitions, the same size, one at the beginning of the disk and the new one at the end of the disk I only need one, right? Two ideas came to mind: 1 boot into linux, copy the contents of the second partition to the first...
  9. Do I need 3 recovery partitions.

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I need 3 recovery partitions.: Hi, I have 3 recovery partitions (see screen below). Recently, I created a recovery drive, installation media and Image Backup + rescue media using Macrium Reflect onto a external hard drive and FD's. I cannot identify the creation date of these partitions. I would...
  10. Add recovery partition into C drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Add recovery partition into C drive: I just deleted the content (through the recovery software) of the recovery partition (D drive) in my laptop which had an older OS in it. I would like to add the space in this partition into the C drive, basically eliminating this recovery partition and expanding C the amount...