Windows 10: Do I need a new 4K graphics card for a 4K monitor?

Discus and support Do I need a new 4K graphics card for a 4K monitor? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, everything in my build was upgraded last year except the graphics card which is still NVIDIA GTX760. I want to upgrade to a 4K monitor for my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by orlando1974, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Do I need a new 4K graphics card for a 4K monitor?

Hi, everything in my build was upgraded last year except the graphics card which is still NVIDIA GTX760.
    I want to upgrade to a 4K monitor for my audio/video editing studio.
    Do I need to upgrade the graphics card in order to connect a 4K monitor and use its 4K resolution?

If so, I'm open to recommendations for graphics cards to use with 3 monitors, including a 4K.
    I'm not gaming on this computer but I am using it as my audio/video editing workstation (Photoshop, Premiere, Cubase) and also using it to livestreaming music performances from home (OBS).

:)

orlando1974, Dec 3, 2020
  2. chofack Win User

4K Monitor Loses 4K Option

Last night (11 Dec 2015) there was a Windows 10 update (I am running Windows 10 Pro). This morning my 4k monitor (ASUS PB287Q) was showing up as 1080p, and Settings does not recognize that this is a 4K monitor. The 4K resolution simply does not show up as
    an option. Nor does the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForece GT 370) recognize that it is 4K.

Why would Microsoft mess with any of that? I find this really troubling. Do I reinstall a driver for the monitor? They don't have a driver specifically for Windows 10, just Windows 8.

Chas

chofack, Dec 3, 2020
  3. Suman_B Win User
    4K monitor displaying from 1080p laptop

Hi Sean,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We would need some information.

May I know the Make and the Model of the Laptop?

Graphic card of the Laptop should be compatible with the 4k Monitor to play 4k Video

Refer this link to check the Compatibility list:
    Dell Compatibility list.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Do I need a new 4K graphics card for a 4K monitor?

4k resolution

Hi there, I'm upgrading my computer with a new graphics card and monitor to accommodate 4k images and want to know if the daily colourful images that appear on Microsoft Edge and my lock screen that Microsoft put there are going to appear as 4k images?
    Thank you, Robert.

Robert G May, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

Do I need a new 4K graphics card for a 4K monitor?

1. Do I need a new 4K graphics card for a 4K monitor? - Similar Threads - need graphics card

2. 4k monitor not giong to 4k

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4k monitor not giong to 4k: i just got a 4k monitor for Christmas and on settings there is no option above 1440p. i have plugged the monitor into an Xbox that can run 4k and it worked. So now it seems like an error with m pc however my old monitor was 4k and although a little laggy, it worked. it is...
  3. 4k monitor not giong to 4k

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    4k monitor not giong to 4k: i just got a 4k monitor for Christmas and on settings there is no option above 1440p. i have plugged the monitor into an Xbox that can run 4k and it worked. So now it seems like an error with m pc however my old monitor was 4k and although a little laggy, it worked. it is...
  4. 4k monitor not giong to 4k

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Issue with windows and a new 4K monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with windows and a new 4K monitor.: Hello,I just got a new 4K monitor and was all excited to get this up and running as it's a big upgrade from my 8 year old 1080p one. When I plug the new monitor in, windows font and images as well as google chrome or anything else I use seem a little fuzzy. I run a dual...
  6. 4K Monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    4K Monitors: Hello all and thank you in advance. Really need some help here. I have a Dell 2 in one laptop running windows 10 with graphics card below. I have two 4k monitors hooked up but the text on them is very blurry but the same stuff when I move it to my laptop screen looks very...
  7. 4K Monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    4K Monitors: Hello all and thank you in advance. Really need some help here. I have a Dell 2 in one laptop running windows 10 with graphics card below. I have two 4k monitors hooked up but the text on them is very blurry but the same stuff when I move it to my laptop screen looks very...
  8. 4K pci1 graphics card not express

4K pci1 graphics card not express: Hello I have a Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq Pro 4300 SFF PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) 8 gig DDR3 SDRAM 799MHz Intel Core i3-3220. 240 watts PS. i'm using my pci express slot for my SSD. i'm looking for a 4K graphics card, low profile, cheap of course. if you need more...
  9. Problem with new graphic card and 4k monitor

Problem with new graphic card and 4k monitor: Hi, I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre M72, and have been using it with two monitors, Cintiq companion 2 (2560x1440) and HP 2159m (1920x1080) using the onboard graphic card (4600 hd). I replaced the hp with an Acer 4k monitor, so I also added a GTX 1050 2GB lowprofile graphic...
  10. Minimum Graphics Card for 4k monitor. (No gaming.)

Minimum Graphics Card for 4k monitor. (No gaming.): I currently have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 660. How do you determine what a graphics card can do? I have two monitors right now but I've been saving up to upgrade one of my two monitors into a 32 inch 4k monitor. Will my graphics card be able to handle it? I do some gaming but...