Windows 10: Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

Discus and support Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm currently running Windows 10 Home. I just bought some new PC components CPU, motherboard, RAM. Do I need a new windows 10 activation key or can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AD1212121212, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

I'm currently running Windows 10 Home. I just bought some new PC components CPU, motherboard, RAM. Do I need a new windows 10 activation key or can I use the one on my current system?

:)

AD1212121212, Oct 22, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Hi Nitin

Replacing a motherboard is a major hardware change . . .

Is your Windows 10 licence based on an OEM licence (came pre-installed on a PC) or Retail (purchased separately to a PC)

If it is a Retail licence, then it will have transfer rights to a new Motherboard or PC, if it is OEM it will not . ..

Is your Windows 10 licence a Retail Licence?

Here is the Microsoft page on the steps to take before replacing the motherboard so your licence is transferred successfully:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/...

DaveM121, Oct 22, 2021
  3. Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Thank sir for your response. I have gone from the above link.In this I found that if window came pre-installed and if I made change for motherboard after Linking my Microsoft account with windows digital license then I can reactivate my genuine window.

Sir if link content is verified then I think I can go for motherboard replacement.

NitinAgrawal21, Oct 22, 2021
  4. M. Hamer Win User

Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

Troubleshoot activation errors in Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement or entering a Volume License key

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

We have a troubleshooter that can help with certain activation errors you might get:

1. If your PC’s manufacturer replaced your motherboard under warranty
      • Activation Error 0x803F7001
    2. If you entered a Volume License product key

Note For these errors, you will need a valid (non-Volume License) product key for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 to finish the activation.
      • 0x8007007B
      • 0xC004E016
      • 0x8007232B
      • 0xC004F074
      • 0xC004F038

Before trying the troubleshooter, make sure you are on the most current version of Windows 10. From Start, select
    Settings, then choose System, and then press
    About
    . You should see Version 1511 listed. If you don’t see it, then click
    Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update and click
    Check for updates.

Once you know you’re on version 1511, download and run the troubleshooter:
    http://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg79558

If you had one of the Volume License key errors, you will be asked for a new key after the troubleshooter runs.

If you have trouble running the troubleshooter, please reply below.
    If you have another Activation issue, please post in the Download, Install and Activation folder of the Windows 10 support forum.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install

Details

Activation errors after motherboard replacement

Starting with Windows 8 and continuing with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, most PC manufactures are injecting their Windows product key into the motherboard of the PC.
    This allows the PC to activate automatically when you first boot up the PC and to re-activate if the PC is ever reset or needs a clean install.
    The product key in the motherboard is edition-specific and will only activate that edition of Windows (Home, Pro, etc.).

When the motherboard is replaced under warranty, Windows will detect a hardware change and look for the new product key that was included in the replaced motherboard.
    Sometimes the new product key is not retrieved by Windows, and you get
    Activation Error 0x803F7001
    . The troubleshooter will ask Windows to re- try retrieving the product key from the new motherboard and activated it.

Correcting the mistake of entering a Global Volume License key

The troubleshooter also corrects a second, less common issue.
    If you searched the web, you might have found and entered a Global Volume License (GVL) Key.
    GVL Keys only work for PCs in an Enterprise environment where the administrator has setup this system of licensing.
    If you mistakenly entered a GVL Key, you PC will no longer accept regular product keys, and will give the activation error 0x8007007B (or even 0xC004E016, 0x8007232B, 0xC004F074, 0xC004F038).
    This troubleshooter will identify the GVL Key and replace it with a regular retail default key.
    Your PC will not activate yet, but now will accept normal retail and OEM product keys.

M. Hamer, Oct 22, 2021
Thema:

Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

1. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard? - Similar Threads - need key replacing

2. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?: I'm currently running Windows 10 Home. I just bought some new PC components CPU, motherboard, RAM. Do I need a new windows 10 activation key or can I use the one on my current system?...
  3. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?: I'm currently running Windows 10 Home. I just bought some new PC components CPU, motherboard, RAM. Do I need a new windows 10 activation key or can I use the one on my current system?...
  4. Updating Computer Motherboard and Drives; Do I need a new activation key for Windows?

Updating Computer Motherboard and Drives; Do I need a new activation key for Windows?: Tomorrow 4/2 i'll be fully building my new pc with new motherboard and cpu. I'd also be swapping to primarily a M.2 drive from HDD where current windows is installed. Is there a way to move over my current windows installation without having to buy a new activation or license...
  5. Do I need to prep to replace motherboard?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I need to prep to replace motherboard?: I'm replacing my motherboard and watched a video saying we don't need to reload windows ten like previous windows additions. But I'm unclear if we need any prep work before attempting the upgrade. Like, will any of my data from my SSD get wiped? I have a second SSD for saved...
  6. New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?

New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?: Hello all, very recently, my computer slurped up a malware and I had to wipe the hard drives and reinstall windows. On a whim, I decided to upgrade from win 7 to win 10 pro, so I bought a licence. At the same time I got a "great" idea of upgrading most of the PC hardware, so...
  7. If I replace my Motherboard and CPU do I need a new Windows license?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    If I replace my Motherboard and CPU do I need a new Windows license?: I've checked various sites and the CPU I have on my motherboard is the best it can have, I've had this computer for a long time now and I wanted to upgrade to a new motherboard however there are a few people that say that I would need to purchase Windows 10 again and that...
  8. Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.: Dear Sir, Sir currently I am facing problem with my laptop.I contacted the retailer he advised me to go for new motherboard in this laptop.Since my laptop has genuine window.So I am in fear of loosing genuine window.Is there any way of preserving my genuine window.So that...
  9. Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?

Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?: Hello all, i have windows 10 on my desktop. My processor is burning out so I've got a new motherboard and processor to put in, however after reading online most people say that ill need a new product key but if i call customer support they should be able to help me. Now...
  10. Recovert key after replacing motherboard on laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovert key after replacing motherboard on laptop: After i got my laptop back after repairs (replacing the motherboard), i am met by a blue screen telling me to enter the recovery key for this drive. It says underneath that i have to go to account.microsoft.com/devices/recovery key to retrieve this key, however i don’t have...