Windows 10: Do I need a VPN?

Discus and support Do I need a VPN? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This question may belong in Virtualization or General Support so feel free to move it if necessary. I have read a lot about VPNs, with some people... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Elizabeth, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Elizabeth Win User

Do I need a VPN?

This question may belong in Virtualization or General Support so feel free to move it if necessary.

I have read a lot about VPNs, with some people recommending them as a way to enhance privacy (not security). I am thinking about using a VPN on my home network for that reason, and there are many out there that claim that they encrypt and don't keep logs. My main concern is with the use by VPN services of third-party rented servers. Presumably the VPN has no control over these and cannot prevent them from keeping logs of my traffic. So:

1. Is it worth getting a VPN for privacy reasons?
    2. Does the use of third party servers compromise the privacy the VPN server promises?
    3. Is it possible to determine whether or not a VPN that claims to not keep logs and to use encryption actually does so.

Opinions most welcome

:)

Elizabeth, Sep 2, 2017

2. do i need a new controller or i need to fix some thing??

so i just got a new gaming laptop for Christmas i wasant really used to the mouse so i decided to plug in my Xbox one controller but when i did it told me that windows did not recognize this device so i watched some YouTube videos and read forums and did
    almost everything but still same stupid message and am getting really annoyed!! so please can someone help me or tell me that my controller is broken and and i need a new one

Dylan Rodriguez, Sep 2, 2017
  3. do i need a new controller or i need to fix some thing??

Hi Dylan,

This issue might have caused by a software conflict. For us to identify the cause of this issue, please answer the following questions:

• What is the build number and version of your Windows?
    • Can you provide a screenshot of the error message that you have encountered?
    • Can you enumerate the troubleshooting steps that you have performed?

In case that you haven't tried running the hardware and device troubleshooter, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Click on Start.
    • Open Settings.
    • Click on Update & Security.
    • Select Troubleshoot tab.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, click on
      Hardware and Devices.
    • Click on Run the troubleshooter button.
    • If prompted, click on Yes or enter the administrator password.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.

We look forward for your response.

Janeane Cru, Sep 2, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Do I need a VPN?

In most cases its not private as many hackers have found out as you can still be tracked by FBI CIA etc as most are required to keep logs. The only reason most use it is to watch content you cant get in your country

Samuria, Sep 2, 2017
  5. isaccasi Win User
    Vypr-VPN owns all their servers, but it is pricey*Wink

isaccasi, Sep 4, 2017
  6. 1. Definitely. Do not forget to disable IPv6 as well.

2. Hundreds of users can share the same IP at the same time and without logging, it is hard to differentiate.

3. VPN Comparison Chart

3. VPN Testing

TairikuOkami, Sep 5, 2017
  7. Elizabeth Win User
    Thank you for this, TairikuOkami. Very useful.

Elizabeth, Sep 5, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Do I need a VPN?

lx07, Sep 5, 2017
  9. TairikuOkami, Sep 5, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    TOR doesn't serve the same purpose as a VPN though
    Differences between using Tor browser and VPN - Information Security Stack Exchange

You could use both if you wanted. Tor And VPN | Using Both For Added Security

11. Megan444 Win User
    I started learning web design not long ago, and in order to practise I decided to build websites by means of different wordpress odontologist themes. So, I'm thinking about using VPN to enhance privacy, as it was said above. Unfortunately, I'm clueless about this, so the information and links given here are really helpful for me. Thanks, guys!

Megan444, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Do I need a VPN?

1. Do I need a VPN? - Similar Threads - need VPN

2. do i need a VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    do i need a VPN: Afternoon im not very good with understanding tech things but i keep getting windows AVG VPN popping up. when it says click to turn on it asks for payment.ive worked out my pc is ok/up to date with viruses/threat protection as microsoft defender antivirus is in the back...
  3. do i need a VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    do i need a VPN: Afternoon im not very good with understanding tech things but i keep getting windows AVG VPN popping up. when it says click to turn on it asks for payment.ive worked out my pc is ok/up to date with viruses/threat protection as microsoft defender antivirus is in the back...
  4. I need to connect my Windows 10 to Germany hamburg City vpn, all options I found is paid...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to connect my Windows 10 to Germany hamburg City vpn, all options I found is paid...: Title.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-connect-my-windows-10-to-germany-hamburg/858d8037-7958-408b-a0f7-be45e951f50f
  5. I need to connect my Windows 10 to Germany hamburg City vpn, all options I found is paid...

I need to connect my Windows 10 to Germany hamburg City vpn, all options I found is paid...: Title.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-connect-my-windows-10-to-germany-hamburg/858d8037-7958-408b-a0f7-be45e951f50f
  6. I need to connect my Windows 10 to Germany hamburg City vpn, all options I found is paid...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Subscription for VPN usage by yearly 1 device/year. i need a invoice and cancle subscription

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Subscription for VPN usage by yearly 1 device/year. i need a invoice and cancle subscription: Subscription for VPN usage by yearly 1 device/year. i need a invoice and cancel subscription https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/subscription-for-vpn-usage-by-yearly-1-deviceyear/4777c003-e895-4e48-8eb7-1bdaf5b101f5
  8. Subscription for VPN usage by yearly 1 device/year. i need a invoice and cancle subscription

Subscription for VPN usage by yearly 1 device/year. i need a invoice and cancle subscription: Subscription for VPN usage by yearly 1 device/year. i need a invoice and cancel subscription https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/subscription-for-vpn-usage-by-yearly-1-deviceyear/4777c003-e895-4e48-8eb7-1bdaf5b101f5
  9. I need help with deleting a vpn from a ASUS laptop with windows 12 is.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with deleting a vpn from a ASUS laptop with windows 12 is.: Yesterday I downloaded a app called RiseupVPN and realized later that I didn’t need it. Tried to uninstall it but it didn’t work, so I found it in the start menu and managed to uninstall it from there found the file and deleted it there or I think I did. To make sure I...
  10. I need help with deleting a vpn from a ASUS laptop with windows 12 is.

I need help with deleting a vpn from a ASUS laptop with windows 12 is.: Yesterday I downloaded a app called RiseupVPN and realized later that I didn’t need it. Tried to uninstall it but it didn’t work, so I found it in the start menu and managed to uninstall it from there found the file and deleted it there or I think I did. To make sure I...