Windows 10: Do I need Defender?

Discus and support Do I need Defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have the pro version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware + Microsoft Security Essentials. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is on & monitoring. Do I need Defender?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GARoss, Jul 30, 2015.

1. GARoss Win User

Do I need Defender?

I have the pro version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware + Microsoft Security Essentials. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is on & monitoring. Do I need Defender? I keep getting this window on login.

Do I need Defender? [​IMG]

:)

GARoss, Jul 30, 2015

2. it says i need an email program? were do i get it from?

it tells me there is an email program needed that i dont have. were do i get it from

what do i do,,,, Jul 30, 2015
  3. do i need a new controller or i need to fix some thing??

so i just got a new gaming laptop for Christmas i wasant really used to the mouse so i decided to plug in my Xbox one controller but when i did it told me that windows did not recognize this device so i watched some YouTube videos and read forums and did
    almost everything but still same stupid message and am getting really annoyed!! so please can someone help me or tell me that my controller is broken and and i need a new one

Dylan Rodriguez, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Do I need Defender?

From the time I started using Windows 8, which would have been January 2013, the only thing I used was Windows Defender. I'm curious to know if I really need to use anything else *Smile

GatsbyGlen, Jul 30, 2015
  5. GARoss Win User
    I believe there's a MS video that explains that Windows Defender is anti-malware only. I believe you most definitely need an anti-virus as well. Microsoft Security Essentials is free.

GARoss, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    No. Defender used to be just anti-malware in Windows 7, but in windows 8 they added anti-virus to it, so it's both.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Yes, when I was using Win 7 I was using MSE then. I'm not sure how much better the other AV apps really are. Windows Defender worked fine for me with Win 8.

GatsbyGlen, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Do I need Defender?

Windows 10: Defender is MSE rebranded.

Mbam & Defender play nice together. What you don't need is MSE.

Uninstall MSE on Win10 and that message will probably go away.

Slartybart, Jul 30, 2015
  9. GARoss Win User
    Aaaa. I came from Win7. OK, will do.

GARoss, Jul 30, 2015
  10. GARoss Win User
    Well, when I try to uninstall MSE it says it's already installed! Huh?

I tried to start Defender but I get an error code 0x8007139f. This might be because of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on???

GARoss, Jul 30, 2015
  11. MBAM would not cause an error.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jul 30, 2015
  12. Do you or did you have any other security program on you 'puter ?

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jul 30, 2015
  13. Do I need Defender?

What did the Get help on this issue link tell you.

This sounds like an upgrade bug, it should NOT have carried over MSE. But ... people want their programs carried over, so it's sort of a catch 22 situation. Thy're both MS products and I think the upgrade should have just gone with Defender.

Now how to get your system in the pink? I'm not sure and I don't have the same issue (Defender and MSE) so it will be difficult to unravel. It might require turning off MSE/Defender services, then uninstalling - not sure.

It will take me some time to research (other things in the queue) - another member might stop by with a solution before I get back to this.
    In the meantime:

There are two places to provide feedback to or get answers from Microsoft for Windows 10.

MS decided to include the Windows Feedback app in the production release of Windows 10.

Look for the Feedback app either on Start or in the Start menu list.

Slartybart, Jul 30, 2015
  14. GARoss Win User
    It must be a install bug. I upgraded from Win7 to 10. MS Media Player is still on my machine & MSE as well. But, how to get rid of them?

While on Win7 I installed a Pro version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & it provides internet & malware protection. It's running on Win10 now. When I disabled it & tried to start Defender, Defender appeared to start with no immediate error as before. But, it once again gave the error below:

When trying to uninstall MSE I first get this first (it says unavailable)

Then this while trying to uninstall.

Is there a way to force uninstall MSE?

GARoss, Jul 30, 2015
  15. GARoss Win User
    I deactivated MSE & Defender automatically came on. I did an Defender update. Still cant uninstall MSE.

GARoss, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Do I need Defender?

1. Do I need Defender? - Similar Threads - need Defender

2. i need to reinstall microsoft defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need to reinstall microsoft defender: My microsoft definder is broken https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-reinstall-microsoft-defender/c676e684-0491-443b-981e-2734665aac8b
  3. i need to reinstall microsoft defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need to reinstall microsoft defender: My microsoft definder is broken https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-reinstall-microsoft-defender/c676e684-0491-443b-981e-2734665aac8b
  4. i need to reinstall microsoft defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg: Do I need ALL of the above mentioned and if not which is the best combination* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-of-the-following-is-needed-windows-defender/39790248-1b8e-4856-aaa8-88919bcb2bbf
  6. which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg

which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg: Do I need ALL of the above mentioned and if not which is the best combination* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-of-the-following-is-needed-windows-defender/39790248-1b8e-4856-aaa8-88919bcb2bbf
  7. Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10: Question #1: Where can I find the official Microsoft user’s manual for Window 10’s Defender?I have just wasted 2 weeks of my life due to reading 2nd hand, incomplete, misleading instructions and tutorials. Most of the stuff on the internet often amounts to what someone does...
  8. Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10

Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10: Question #1: Where can I find the official Microsoft user’s manual for Window 10’s Defender?I have just wasted 2 weeks of my life due to reading 2nd hand, incomplete, misleading instructions and tutorials. Most of the stuff on the internet often amounts to what someone does...
  9. Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Windows defender keeps showing these trojans/phishing threats that need actions. But when I...

Windows defender keeps showing these trojans/phishing threats that need actions. But when I...: I have gotten a few of these trojan warnings from IO Bit malware fighter and windows defender. Malware fighter says quarantined and deleted. defender has them still in the threats and says they need actions. When i try nothing happens. I am afraid to do anything with this new...