Windows 10: Do I need my laptop's hard drive's drivers to install Win10 from my bootable thumb drive?

Discus and support Do I need my laptop's hard drive's drivers to install Win10 from my bootable thumb drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello: A little background about the helpless problem my neighbor got himself into. The hard drive (HDD) on his laptop failed and the poor soul... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sdmike1974, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Do I need my laptop's hard drive's drivers to install Win10 from my bootable thumb drive?

Hello:

A little background about the helpless problem my neighbor got himself into.

The hard drive (HDD) on his laptop failed and the poor soul does not have a disk image on his external drive -- only files.

So we purchased a new HDD and I am trying to install Windows 10 from a bootable USB flash which tested ok in the past.

Don't I need the drivers for the HDD that match his old Lenovo laptop? Or perhaps not.

I am really struggling getting this to work.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

For example, is it even possible to install Windows 10 (from a bootable version on a USB flash drive) on a brand new HDD?

BTW, I used a SATA to USB adapter cable to check the HDD and there is a large NTFS partition on the new HDD. But I can't seem to install Win10 to that partition after 6 hours of trial and error.

Michael T.

Senior Software Engineer (retired)

:)

sdmike1974, Jun 20, 2019

2. Laptop hard drive upgrade

If you ghost the OS from disk to disk with the same system it should work fine. Thing is you have to GHOST the disk, including the MBR or it won't be bootable. Any other normal laptop drive should work as long as the connections the same.

If you cannot make a backup install CD, you'll likely need to locate a windows install CD, unless you can ghost the drive. Thats pretty much your only options atm.

Dippyskoodlez, Jun 20, 2019
  3. third sata drive not bootable ?

Exactly. On the where do you want to install Windows screen, it has the list of all 3 drives, but when I choose the new drive is when it says it cannot install because the drive is not a bootable drive. If I select one of the other drives with XP installed it doesn't give that message.

jeepdriver, Jun 20, 2019
  4. Chewy Win User

Do I need my laptop's hard drive's drivers to install Win10 from my bootable thumb drive?

Ipod bootable drive?

I want to know if I can make my ipod a usb bootable drive.. will it mess up my ipod? I need to flash my video card back to normal.. Neros bootable cd gave me an error. I used a step by step guide, but thats another story.

Chewy, Jun 20, 2019
Thema:

Do I need my laptop's hard drive's drivers to install Win10 from my bootable thumb drive?

1. Do I need my laptop's hard drive's drivers to install Win10 from my bootable thumb drive? - Similar Threads - need laptop's hard

2. C drive failed on Win10 desktop. Replaced with new drive. Used bootable thumb drive to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive failed on Win10 desktop. Replaced with new drive. Used bootable thumb drive to...: I have an HP ProDesk 600G1 TW. The Win 10 64bit I purchased was the Pro version which I selected for the reinstall. The reinstall went fine until I declined the 365 trial and went to the next page.I could not go any further without a CC.Any ideas?Thanks....
  3. C drive failed on Win10 desktop. Replaced with new drive. Used bootable thumb drive to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive failed on Win10 desktop. Replaced with new drive. Used bootable thumb drive to...: I have an HP ProDesk 600G1 TW. The Win 10 64bit I purchased was the Pro version which I selected for the reinstall. The reinstall went fine until I declined the 365 trial and went to the next page.I could not go any further without a CC.Any ideas?Thanks....
  4. C drive failed on Win10 desktop. Replaced with new drive. Used bootable thumb drive to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works: I'll start with the current news of today... I took a video from my hard drive (C:) and dragged it onto an old thumb drive, and it worked! __________________ I would have posted this days ago, but I hate asking for help, but I've had the flu for almost 2 weeks, and my...
  6. Install Windows 10 from thumb drive

Install Windows 10 from thumb drive: I have a thumb drive with Windows 10 from 5/31/2018. How do I Install Windows 10 from the thumb drive to a new SSHD in my Dell Desktop: Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz 210 GHz Installed RAM 4.00 GB System type 64-bit operating system,...
  7. How do I Install win10 on a hard drive using a bootable flash drive?

How do I Install win10 on a hard drive using a bootable flash drive?: I downloaded the Media Creation tool and used it and Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. I'm ready to use the flash drive for a clean install. There's a tutorial covering this topic - I read it last night, but cannot find it today. Can someone help? I remember there were...
  8. will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?: In the past few days, win10 seems to have serious issues with that win7 drive plugged into the sata port? So much so that I wiped the win10 partitions and did fresh install. Prior to the fresh install win10 refused to boot to the desktop if that other win7 drive was plugged...
  9. How do I copy my music from Groove to a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I copy my music from Groove to a thumb drive?: That's the only way I can get it to my hard drive in my car audio system.. 25527
  10. Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?: I have this SSD hard drive: Samsung SSD 650 Series 2.5" SATA 120GB | for Business Do I need to defrag it? If so, what do I use to defrag it and how often? 27676