Windows 10: Do I need my product key to redownload everything after reseting my PC?

Discus and support Do I need my product key to redownload everything after reseting my PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I noticed my PC is getting pretty slow and I've tried everything like making sure there are not background applications running and deleting to save... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JoshuaSanders1, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Do I need my product key to redownload everything after reseting my PC?

So I noticed my PC is getting pretty slow and I've tried everything like making sure there are not background applications running and deleting to save storage space. And none of this has worked so I've decided to reset my laptop.

Will I be required to insert my product key after the reset to get all the windows back?

The problem is that if I do need to have my product key, where can I find it? I don't have the actual key anymore, it came with a box but its gone. Is there a way to get a lost product key back?

:)

JoshuaSanders1, Nov 4, 2019
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Nov 4, 2019
  3. FinZak Win User
    Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

1. Is this all i need to do?
    2. How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    3. Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

FinZak, Nov 4, 2019
  4. Do I need my product key to redownload everything after reseting my PC?

PC not compatible with Windows 10, cannot revert back to Windows 7 and says the product key is illegible.

Hello Doug,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will help you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you PC come with Pre-installed Windows 7 OS?
    • Do you have the recovery partition on the drive of your PC?
    • When you say “reset”, are you performing factory reset of the PC?

Recovery partition is a backup drive created by the manufacturer at the original factory settings in case if something goes wrong with the operating system. It is mostly stored in a hard drive partition of the PC rather
    than on CD-ROMS or DVDs. It will not affect any part of the drive of the PC if you delete the partition.

You will be able to factory reset the computer without using the product key if your PC came preinstalled with Windows 7 OS.

I suggest you to check if you have the recovery partition drive intact on your PC by following the steps below:

• Press Window logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management
      from the context menu.
    • Look for the Recovery partition drive under Status tab of the window.

If you have the Recovery partition drive intact with the PC, I suggest you to factory reset the PC by following the steps from the device manufacturer’s website:

Restore, Factory Reset or Reinstall Windows 7 on your Dell Computer. | Dell Deutschland

Write to us with the status of the issue and the answers to the above questions on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

Do I need my product key to redownload everything after reseting my PC?

1. Do I need my product key to redownload everything after reseting my PC? - Similar Threads - need product key

2. I need my product key!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need my product key!: I have product key but it is not so clear,some letters are little bit erased.its product ID 00196048396370 and Edition ID X15-53758.please help me to get my windows product key....
  3. I need my product key!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need my product key!: I have product key but it is not so clear,some letters are little bit erased.its product ID 00196048396370 and Edition ID X15-53758.please help me to get my windows product key....
  4. If I reset my computer do I need to enter the product key again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I reset my computer do I need to enter the product key again: HelloI want to reset my surface pro 7, Do I need to enter the product key again, after the resetting process? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-reset-my-computer-do-i-need-to-enter-the/1fa10a5a-1cc6-4e01-ad9c-ed850c842c14
  5. If I reset my computer do I need to enter the product key again

If I reset my computer do I need to enter the product key again: HelloI want to reset my surface pro 7, Do I need to enter the product key again, after the resetting process? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-reset-my-computer-do-i-need-to-enter-the/1fa10a5a-1cc6-4e01-ad9c-ed850c842c14
  6. I need my product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need my product key: My computer crashed and I don't have access to my Window's Product Key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-my-product-key/0886c177-04df-446b-a8c2-d24d7ee36f0e
  7. I need my product key

I need my product key: My computer crashed and I don't have access to my Window's Product Key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-my-product-key/0886c177-04df-446b-a8c2-d24d7ee36f0e
  8. I need my product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need my product key: I put new keyboard in and need recovery key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-my-product-key/2778917b-34af-429c-9939-a90f5f7820f7
  9. Do i really need to redownload my games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do i really need to redownload my games?: In this system i use an SSD to install windows and an HDD to install everything else. So i bought the PC gamepass and installed gears 5 and the outer worlds a week ago. And in this time, my ssd started to show some fatigue signs, so i bought an NVME and installed windows in...
  10. I need my product key

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I need my product key: I cant find my product key. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-my-product-key/48b3d79b-80f5-411c-99f1-fdbb1e878572"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if I still have my license key where can I redownload my office software