Windows 10: Do I Need Sound Card for My Desktop?

Discus and support Do I Need Sound Card for My Desktop? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'll be building a gaming desktop and buying a monitor with built-in speakers. Do I need a sound card or will the speakers from the monitor suffice?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ruzzi, May 9, 2016.

1. ruzzi Win User

Do I Need Sound Card for My Desktop?

ruzzi, May 9, 2016
  2. MrPreview Win User

Do I need a SIM card for my Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE?

Some apps require me to receive a text message for registration (WhatsApp, Viber, etc).

To do that I need a SIM card other than my old one, and to apply for a new phone number from T-Mobile.

They'll give you a phone number for free alright, but you can't receive any calls or text messages until you give them (T-Mobile) at least $3 for their lowest-tier of calling service (30 calls/messages for 1 month).

But their website only allows you to pay in increments of $10 (minimum $10)!

Isn't that interesting for the unsuspecting folks? Do I Need Sound Card for My Desktop? ;)

Once you pay them, your phone will function and receive text messages, and you can register the apps that require an initial receipt of a sms/text message.

I suspect once this initial step is done, I can drop cellular and use the apps on WiFi only.

Removing the SIM card puts an annoying permanent icon in the system icon area indicating there is no SIM card in the mobile device.

I'll take a look at buying some Skype credit.

WiFi calling should be free, IMHO.

(It is, under Android)

MrPreview, May 9, 2016
  3. Do I need a SIM card for my Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE?

No, you will be fine to just use it with Wi-Fi

As for apps, it is just something you will have to look, try and see if they meet your needs. IMHO, Skype would be the best choice.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, May 9, 2016
  4. Do I Need Sound Card for My Desktop?

If you're not satisfied with the sound from your monitor, you can get a 2.1 computer speaker system. You don't need a sound card since the motherboard already comes with it.

theveterans, May 9, 2016
  5. strollin Win User
    First off, the fact that your monitor has speakers has zero to do with whether or not you should install a sound card.

The majority (if not all) of mother boards made today have built-in audio. The need for a sound card is a personal decision based on whether or not you feel the built-in audio is good enough for your needs.

Regardless of whether you use a sound card or built-in audio, you will need speakers. It's also a personal decision as to whether or not the speakers built-in to your monitor will be adequate or whether you would prefer to have a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system that will provide things like amplification, subwoofer, surround sound, etc...

strollin, May 9, 2016
  6. Plankton Win User
    No...as the mobo already has a sound chip on it.....yours has the Realtek ALC887 7.1 channel. All you would need is a set of external speakers as mentioned by theveterans.

No speaker from a TV or monitor can compare to a bonafide external speaker setup. I would recommend Logitech Z313 2.1 surround sound set up. It's got the best bang for buck sound out there....IMO. I have one.

Plankton, May 9, 2016
  7. If you are planning to use the monitor's built-in speakers then you most definitely don't need a sound card.

z31fanatic, May 9, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

As mentioned most computers have a sound adapter built onto the motherboard. It can be disabled if wanting to purchase and add a third-party sound card. BUT, a sound card or adapter is required to provide the sound from the computer to whatever speakers are used, only way to do it. One could plug a Sony Walkman or any number of MP3 players into the speakers on the monitor but that won't provide the sounds available from programs or games installed on the computer. If USB is being thought of for plugging into speakers, there still needs to be some method of modulating/demodulating the sound signal so the speakers can use it.

Berton, May 9, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If you intend using HDMI then a small HDMI splitter will work brilliantly - and will pass the analog (RCA jacks L + R) PLUS full Optical (5.1 / 7.1 depending on the quality of the splitter and your HDMI output from the computer.

The HDMI out splitter is usually fine for up to 1920 X 1080 full HD video and the cheaper ones perversly will split off any HDMI video encryption too so you've got a nice clean full HD video signal to play with as well. The more expensive ones (not the Chinese manufactured stuff) are more restrictive in ensuring HDMI encrption is maintained when playing Blu Ray etc --so go for the cheaper chinese manufactured ones. !!!!

Most built in sound cards - especially if integrated with HDMI on the mobo are usually very good these days -- Computer speakers are the weak link --usually being far to "boomy / Boxy and Bassy". There's a HUGE fifference between quality speakers required for Music, Video and gaming - most computer speakers are geared towards the Gaming and Movie watching people -- so often for decent music computer sound will usually disappoint.

You can get more than adeqate separate speakers though these days without paying a small fortune for them --Wifi ones are increasingly good too --forget Bluetooth -- you won't get High quality sound on Blue tooth devices.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 9, 2016
  10. kongming Win User
    Since you have built-in sound card. The main thing to utilize your sound card is speakers 2.1/5.1 or even 7.1.
    I have RealTek 889 sound card on my board. I am very satisfied. No need spend more money again to your sound card. The critical point is speaker system.

kongming, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Do I Need Sound Card for My Desktop? - Similar Threads - Need Sound Card

2. I need to update my credit card but it won'let me do it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to update my credit card but it won'let me do it.: I need to update my credit card but it won't let me do it. Can some one call me or e-mail me. I am over my storage and need to purchase more storage. Thank you....
  3. I need to update my credit card but it won'let me do it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need to update my credit card but it won'let me do it.: I need to update my credit card but it won't let me do it. Can some one call me or e-mail me. I am over my storage and need to purchase more storage. Thank you....
  4. I need to update my credit card but it won'let me do it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is my sound card/sound chipetc. fried?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my sound card/sound chipetc. fried?: Hi, I do not know if this is the right website/forum to post this question. I don't really know where else I would ask. I have a laptop that has windows 10 on it. The laptop is about 6 months old. It is a good quality laptop with some good hardware including an i7...
  6. Do I need to replace my graphics card?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I need to replace my graphics card?: Hello. I recently had problems with BSOD on random occasions. I tried everything, including complete clean reinstall of my PC. It still gave me BSOD. I have an Acer Swift Laptop. So I looked in the device manager and saw that my intel(r) uhd graphics 620 had a code 43 and...
  7. Do I need a new card?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Do I need a new card?: I currently have an MSI GeForce GTX 970 that I think is dying. I am getting a lot of flicker when I am playing Borderlands 3 and its mostly when lots of stuff is going on. I tried re-seating the card thinking maybe that was it, but it did not help. I have had it for years...
  8. Do you need a graphics card?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Do you need a graphics card?: If you only use your computer for Microsoft Office and Internet surfing, do you need a graphics card? I do like having two monitors for working, so right now I have one monitor plugged into a Nvidia 660Ti graphics card and the other plugged into the motherboard for the Intel...
  9. I need to recover my desktop icons. How do I do this?

in Windows 10 Customization
    I need to recover my desktop icons. How do I do this?: I need to recover my desktop icons haven't used my computer in a long while and they have disappeared off the screen. Can someone help me?...
  10. Need driver for sound card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need driver for sound card: I have a sound card, Dynex DXSC5.1, that I cannot get to work for Windows 10 and it worked before, just that I had to wipe my hard drive and re-install Windows 10 the other day. Please help me find a driver that works with this card, I know it's outdated but it worked before...