Windows 10: Do I need the DVD/CD to install Windows 10

Discus and support Do I need the DVD/CD to install Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a desktop computer that is pretty much blank and has a Linux operating system installed. I want to install Window 10, but wonder if I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MLish, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MLish Win User

Do I need the DVD/CD to install Windows 10

I have a desktop computer that is pretty much blank and has a Linux operating system installed. I want to install Window 10, but wonder if I have to have the DVD/CD to do this or could I somehow install it by downloading the program? I have read that I need to uninstall Linux first, so if I do that, how do I then install Windows 10? I will be using this computer for a non-profit and I want to save money, and download programs are cheaper than the DVD/CD versions.

:)

MLish, Sep 4, 2018
  2. RLRehm Win User

Windows 7 Professional keeps dropping the DVD/CD drive

Working with a fresh install (2nd attempt) of Windows 7 Professional on new hardware. The motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Running 4G of RAM and an Intel Q9400 Quad Core CPU. The DVD/CD optical drive is a Pioneer DVR-218L.

Here's the problem - after two fresh installs, Windows 7 drops the DVD/CD drive and I get the following error in Device Manager (The device cannot start {code 10}). After the install, the drive works for a period of time, then stops working and I get the error code.

The driver appears to be a standard Windows driver (CD-ROM driver).

I've tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it in Device Manager but it does not work - I continue to get the device error.

I've also swapped out the DVD/CD drive to insure it's not a bad unit. Same problem with both drives.

What do you suggest for next steps?? Could it be an issue with the motherboard?? A driver problem?

I visited the Pioneer web site - could not find any help or additional Windows 7 drivers.

What now??

RLRehm, Sep 4, 2018
  3. CD/DVD Drive not recongnizing

Original title: Franks

Hi Franks,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to install the latest drivers for CD/DVD drive from the manufacturer’s website or can update the drivers by following the steps provided below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “devmgmt.msc”.
    • Right click on DVD/CD Roms from the list and select
      properties.
    • Under Driver tab click on Update button and follow the prompts to update the driver.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 4, 2018
  4. Do I need the DVD/CD to install Windows 10

Lost DVD/CD drive in Windows 10.

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving your issue.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Hardware and Devices
    troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View all from left side panel of the screen.
    • Select Hardware and Devices, click on
      Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions.

Step 2: If the issue persist, I suggest you to uninstall the
    DVD/CD drivers from the device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard, type device manager and select the top most search result.
    • Expand DVD/CD ROM drives, right click on the driver and select
      Uninstall option.
    • Restart the PC for the Windows to install the DVD/Cd drivers automatically and check if the changes are effective.

Get back to us if you are facing further issues, we will be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

Do I need the DVD/CD to install Windows 10

1. Do I need the DVD/CD to install Windows 10 - Similar Threads - need DVD install

2. Cannot do anything with this CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot do anything with this CD/DVD: Hello, i was today trying to download an OS to one of my CDs and DvDs but the problem is that it says its not empty or something like that. Could that be since i use PowerISO or something like that since it says the disc is not blank even tho the disc is never formatted or...
  3. Cannot do anything with this CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot do anything with this CD/DVD: Hello, i was today trying to download an OS to one of my CDs and DvDs but the problem is that it says its not empty or something like that. Could that be since i use PowerISO or something like that since it says the disc is not blank even tho the disc is never formatted or...
  4. CD DVD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD DVD: Morning,I have problem with CD DVD that is unable to be formatted, when I create a backup for disc it says that needs to be blank when there are no files into the CD even I try to erase it works but not formatting. I don't trust from youtubers at all which may be unsafe. I...
  5. CD DVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD DVD: Morning,I have problem with CD DVD that is unable to be formatted, when I create a backup for disc it says that needs to be blank when there are no files into the CD even I try to erase it works but not formatting. I don't trust from youtubers at all which may be unsafe. I...
  6. how do i reinstall windows 10 dvd/cd player?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i reinstall windows 10 dvd/cd player?: see above!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reinstall-windows-10-dvdcd-player/6abe21e8-c9e1-4658-b93d-209b30396e87
  7. How do I erase a CD/DVD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I erase a CD/DVD?: I came across a few cd's with some photos and music on it. I copied all of the photos to my usb stick and I was wondering how to erase the files on the CD. I would also like to know if there is anyway I can copy the music from the cd onto my computer. Thank you! submitted...
  8. Need Windows 10 CD for clean install

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Need Windows 10 CD for clean install: Is one available yet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-10-cd-for-clean-install/4803c519-98ea-4408-a1e6-7ab694180c63"
  9. cd and dvd

cd and dvd: can any one tell me how to format a cd or dvd in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-and-dvd/cbb85540-9e45-4c5e-adf0-db53aed81ad4
  10. DVD rom is not reading CD/DVD after installing windows 10 home

DVD rom is not reading CD/DVD after installing windows 10 home: My DVD writer is not working in my ASUS X555L laptop after upgrade to win 10. It is only reading Eset software CD and not reading any other CD or DVD. What would be the problem? A drivers problem? Can any one help me please........