Windows 10: Do I need this partition?

Discus and support Do I need this partition? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, I bought my computer a few years ago with Windows 7 preinstalled. The drive was partitioned into "C" and a small recovery partition "E". I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Do I need this partition?

Hi All,
    I bought my computer a few years ago with Windows 7 preinstalled.
    The drive was partitioned into "C" and a small recovery partition "E".
    I did a clean install of Windows 10.
    Do I still need the "E" partition???
    Is it some sort of boot drive?
    The recovery folder is empty.

Do I need this partition? [​IMG]

Here's a closer look at the "E" drive

:)

Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015
  2. Bruce Hagen, Sep 29, 2015
  3. I have Norton 360, so do I still need this Windows Defender to be on?

If you don't have a specific reason to remove defender, I think you should keep it. They are not same and they can complement each other.

--
    Shirlee Deep
    Oracle Certified Developer
    http://www.java-forums.org

shirleemen, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Victek Win User

Do I need this partition?

Have you checked how much of the space in ( E: ) is used? The recovery partition typically contains the factory image of the software that originally came on the PC (in your instance Windows 7). In the event of an OS failure it makes it possible to reinstall. Do you have separate System Recovery media? (DVDs or flash drive) If not be aware that if you delete the recovery partition the option to reinstall "7" will be gone.

Victek, Sep 29, 2015
  5. I've got a Windows 7 disk if I need to go back, but I want to stay with Windows 10.
    I'm worried that if I delete "E" will Windows 10 load up?

Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015
  6. Victek Win User
    The recovery partition predates the Windows 10 installation and I know of no dependency between them, so if you delete E: it shouldn't impact "10" at all. That said you just might want to wait for a few additional comments before deleting it *Nerd

Victek, Sep 29, 2015
  7. Berton Win User
    I've used Disk Management to delete the factory restore partition on a couple of Notebooks without harm, just means I can't return those to their as-shipped condition without having the discs I was prompted to make when first setting up the computers. One was a Win7 and the other was a Win8.1.

Berton, Sep 29, 2015
  8. Do I need this partition?

Well I made an image of "C" and "E" using Acronis, just in case, then I deleted the files in "E"
    Windows 10 started up OK!!!
    But how do I delete the "E" partition???
    Windows wont let me format it???

Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    First, I notice that your E: drive partition is marked as Active. That means it probably has the boot files on it. Have you enabled the option in Windows explorer to view system protected hidden files and looked at E: drive again? If so, I'll bet you see the boot files remaining on it. Delete E: partition now and more than likely your computer will not boot.

In order to delete it, you would use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free. Delete the partition and then expand the C: drive system partition into the remaining free space. But, again, without establishing the boot files on C: drive and making the C: drive partition the active partition, deleting the E: drive partition will likely result in no boot files.

NavyLCDR, Sep 29, 2015
  10. Word Man Win User
    Yep, looks like there are still 758 MB of content on E: and this is MBR structured disk.

Word Man, Sep 29, 2015
  11. What does that mean please?

Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015
  12. There is a boot file in the "E" drive sources folder

Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015
  13. Do I need this partition?

OK thanks!
    Looks like I'm stuck with the "E" drive

Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Have you went into Options in File Explorer, then went down the list and unchecked by the box for "Hide Protected System Hidden Files" (or something very similar?) Then you will see the additional hidden files on E drive.

NavyLCDR, Sep 29, 2015
  15. Word Man Win User
    1) You may have deleted files from E: but, assuming you took the Disk Management snapshot AFTER you deleted some files, it shows in the table that you still have 758 MB of data on it and this supports NavyLCDR's assertion that removing it may result in a system that won't boot.

2) Seeing the size and number of partitions on that disk and how it's reported in Disk Management, I can tell that it is an MBR structured disk as opposed to a GPT structured disk. Being one or the other can impact your choices for change.

Word Man, Sep 29, 2015
Thema:

Do I need this partition?

1. Do I need this partition? - Similar Threads - need partition

2. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  3. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  4. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Need to merge partitions

Need to merge partitions: I've just image restored a Windows 10 CSM/MBR backup to new hardware supporting TPM and UEFI,. The original drive was 1TB, but only 500G used, with 3 partitions/volumes. The new drive is 1TB. I've upgraded to Windows 11 and the machine boots successfully. The restore process...
  6. Need to merge partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to merge partitions: I've just image restored a Windows 10 CSM/MBR backup to new hardware supporting TPM and UEFI,. The original drive was 1TB, but only 500G used, with 3 partitions/volumes. The new drive is 1TB. I've upgraded to Windows 11 and the machine boots successfully. The restore process...
  7. need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,: My C drive is nearly full. My data D drive has lots of space. Seagate is external drive. I want to increase C drive space. I used Easus partition master but its one click step says "‘your disk {Disk 0} is almost full, so adjustment operation cannot be executed".I attach my...
  8. need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,: My C drive is nearly full. My data D drive has lots of space. Seagate is external drive. I want to increase C drive space. I used Easus partition master but its one click step says "‘your disk {Disk 0} is almost full, so adjustment operation cannot be executed".I attach my...
  9. need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,

10. Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent: I have 4 partitions on my C: drive, in order left-to-right on Disk Management: 579M Recovery Partition, 99.33G Boot, 100M EFI, 50G Unallocated. I want to merge the Boot partition with the Unallocated, but they are not adjacent. I've read several posts on this but I find them...