Windows 10: Do I need this partition?

Discus and support Do I need this partition? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OK thanks! Looks like I'm stuck with the "E" drive Well, you don't have to be....it's just a little harder to get rid of, if you really want to. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Do I need this partition?

Well, you don't have to be....it's just a little harder to get rid of, if you really want to. It will take two boot disks/USBs created by two different programs, Macrium Reflect Free and MiniTool Partition Wizard Free.

Or, using just MiniTool Partition Wizard you can certainly shrink the E: drive partition to only the size required, and add the free space to C: drive.

You can also, in Disk Management, remove the E: drive letter from the partition, but leave the partition there without a drive letter.

NavyLCDR, Sep 29, 2015

2. It's not worth shrinking, It's only 2 Gb
    When I normally do my monthly image backup, Acronis always does a backup of "C" and "E" so I don't really want to hide the drive.
    I might have to live with it.
    Is it possible to delete it, then boot from a Windows 10 disk and recover the boot file?

Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015
  3. Victek Win User
    I'm glad you noticed that. I wonder if it would work to delete E: then boot from a Windows 10 DVD and run Startup Repair?

Victek, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Do I need this partition?

Hi

You might want to install EasyBCD and see where your computer is booting from.
    My guess is that when you did a clean install of Windows 10 it created it's own boot files on drive C:\ and is ignoring the files on drive E:\.

If EasyBCD shows a second option, i.e. drive E:\ you can remove the option there as long as it shows one for C:\.

If there are 2 boot options then it can be important to remove the 2nd option before removing the drive.

Mike

EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Get the free one at the bottom of the page.

MikeHawthorne, Sep 29, 2015
  5. Well I wiped drive "E" and my computer wouldn't start up.
    Gave an error NTLDR is missing!!!!
    I then booted from my Acronis disk, recovered "E" partition from an image and, phew!, it started up again.
    Did a search using "Search Everything" and it came up with these files, not sure if it means anything:

Do I need this partition? [​IMG]

Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't think so, because I think Windows will only allow a separate partition for the boot files. I've tried it. At one time I had only two partitions on my laptop - both Windows system partitions, one with build 10240 and one with Insider builds. Windows startup repair would not put the boot files on either system partition, but Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk did.

I have since deleted the Insider build partition and have done a clean Windows 10 install to the empty space. When I did that, it created the 350mb system reserved partition again for the boot files, despite the fact that they were already on the first operating system partition.

Told you so! *Cool And you've still got some hidden files on there.... you should be seeing a bcd file.

Now, create a Macrium Reflect Rescue DVD/USB. Delete the E: drive partition again. Boot to the Macrium Reflect Rescue DVD/USB and use the Startup repair utility. See what you end up with. I think it asks you where you want to put the boot files when they are created and you would point it to your big system partition.

Looks like he found out they were on the smaller E: drive partition.

NavyLCDR, Sep 29, 2015
  7. Created a Macrium Reflect Rescue disk, deleted the E partition again, put the boot files in C as per the instructions, but it didn't work.
    My computer was stuck on the boot up. Managed to recover everything using Acronis again.
    I am going to leave it as it is!
    It is very stressful not knowing if your computer will start or not, I need a drink!
    Thanks for your help Guys!

Cornishman, Sep 29, 2015
  8. Word Man Win User

Did your attempt go as described here: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...+boot+problems ?

It may be only a rhetorical question until or unless you recover and change your mind.*Biggrin

Word Man, Sep 29, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you are wanting to get rid of all the recovery stuff you don't need on that partition and shrink it down to 350mb, when I get home, I'll post what is in my partition for booting and you can delete everything but what is required for booting.

NavyLCDR, Sep 29, 2015
  10. Thanks NavyLCDR I appreciate that!

Cornishman, Sep 30, 2015
  11. Yes Word Man, what I attempted certainly looks like the information in that link.
    Thank you for your advise, but it didn't work for me.
    Acronis has saved my bacon once again.

Cornishman, Sep 30, 2015
  12. Hi

Your making this too complicated.

Did you install EasyBCD?

It will remove the entry for the drive E boot option and let you create one on Drive C.

It's easy to use, it's just a graphic way of editing the boot setup files, instead of doing it through the command window.

All you have to do is use Add New Entry to create a boot option for your Windows 10 install on C:\.

Move it to the top of the list and make sure it boots, then you can remove the second entry.

Windows won't try and boot to the E drive once the entry is removed from the list, but as long as it's there the computer won't boot if you remove the drive.

I found this out the hard way a long time ago.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Sep 30, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

NO.... that will only edit the boot files that are stored on the current E: drive boot partition. It will NOT move the boot files themselves to C: drive.

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    First, you have to enable viewing "protected operating system files" by UNCHECKING the box highlight below. Those options are from the Options menu of Windows Explorer:

Now when you look at your E: drive partition (system reserved partition) the hidden boot files will be visible:

My System Reserved partition has 311mb of boot files on it and it is sized to 350mb total, which is what a clean install of Windows 10 will create. I am not sure if the Recovery folder in mine is needed to boot or not - it's got some really tight permissions attached to it and the only way I could get into it was to make an image of the partition with Macrium Reflect Free, mount the image file and explore it that way Do I need this partition? :)

Now, in the past, I have been able to set my C: drive partition as the active partition, delete the system reserved partition, and use the Macrium Reflect Free rescue disk to recreate the boot files on my C: drive partition. Maybe it is a limitation of your bios that is keeping that from succeeding with your computer, but it worked on mine, in the past with Windows 10.

Merely editing the system bcd store with EasyBCD will only change where the boot files point to to find the operating system, but it won't change where the actual bcd store is physically located - which will still be in the system reserved partition.

If you don't want to see the system reserved partition as a drive letter - just go into disk management in Windows and remove the drive letter from it. I normally don't have a drive letter assigned to mine.

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2015
  15. My boot files total 733Mb
    The "boot.wim" file inside the sources folder is 328Mb alone
    I'm a bit scared of deleting anything just is case it's needed.

Cornishman, Sep 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Do I need this partition? - Similar Threads - need partition

2. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  3. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  4. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Need to merge partitions

Need to merge partitions: I've just image restored a Windows 10 CSM/MBR backup to new hardware supporting TPM and UEFI,. The original drive was 1TB, but only 500G used, with 3 partitions/volumes. The new drive is 1TB. I've upgraded to Windows 11 and the machine boots successfully. The restore process...
  6. Need to merge partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to merge partitions: I've just image restored a Windows 10 CSM/MBR backup to new hardware supporting TPM and UEFI,. The original drive was 1TB, but only 500G used, with 3 partitions/volumes. The new drive is 1TB. I've upgraded to Windows 11 and the machine boots successfully. The restore process...
  7. need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,: My C drive is nearly full. My data D drive has lots of space. Seagate is external drive. I want to increase C drive space. I used Easus partition master but its one click step says "‘your disk {Disk 0} is almost full, so adjustment operation cannot be executed".I attach my...
  8. need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,: My C drive is nearly full. My data D drive has lots of space. Seagate is external drive. I want to increase C drive space. I used Easus partition master but its one click step says "‘your disk {Disk 0} is almost full, so adjustment operation cannot be executed".I attach my...
  9. need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,

10. Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent: I have 4 partitions on my C: drive, in order left-to-right on Disk Management: 579M Recovery Partition, 99.33G Boot, 100M EFI, 50G Unallocated. I want to merge the Boot partition with the Unallocated, but they are not adjacent. I've read several posts on this but I find them...