Windows 10: Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?

Discus and support Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have this SSD hard drive: Samsung SSD 650 Series 2.5" SATA 120GB | for Business Do I need to defrag it? If so, what do I use to defrag it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Yeremyah, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?

Ok I've been following this thread. With Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, all you have to do is connect all the drives you are going to use, internal as well as external. Then you open up an Admin Command Prompt, and copy & paste winsat formal into it.- This will run tests on your CPU, Graphics and all your drives , and set Windows up(i.e. your indexing, disk optimization and hibernation and a few more things) when it's finished, reboot and the settings will be applied. The best thing you can do is "Let Windows take care of Windows". Don't tweak, change, or turn off any settings(specially if you are not an advanced user).

Cliff S, Oct 25, 2015
  2. Yeremyah Win User

What's difference between allowing W10 defrag and only optomize?

And how do I tell W10 defrag to ONLY optimize and not defrag once per month?

Yeremyah, Oct 25, 2015
  3. Yeremyah Win User
    Ok well if that is accurate and true and your words are valid, then I will just leave it ON seeing W10 will NOT defrag the SSD anyway.

Weekly or monthly? It was on weekly, but I changed it to monthly? Good or bad idea in Your opinion?

Yeremyah, Oct 25, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

It will not defrag it as it knows that it is an SSD drive.

5. Gary Win User
  6. Word Man Win User
    As long as you run "winsat formal" as Cliff S has recommended and, considering you've already shown Win10 recognizes your SSD as such, there is no way you'll ever see Windows defragment your SSD the way others have been using the word. In effect, there IS no distinction to be made as WIndows will only "OPTIMIZE" it. Notice they purposely have renamed the module to "Optimize Drives". They don't call it Defragment Drives and they don't call it TRIM Drives.

Word Man, Oct 25, 2015
  7. Word Man Win User
    You needn't judge the validity of my words as I quoted my primary source. You can judge Scott Hanselman's words against the credibility of the understandable hysteria strewn across the internet on this touchy subject.

My words in another thread were to the effect that, we shouldn't use the words "defrag" and "SSD" in the same sentence any more as it just tends to set people's hair on fire.*really

Monthly is likely plenty, IMO.

Word Man, Oct 25, 2015
  8. Word Man Win User

No doubt excellent advice for April of 6 years ago when people didn't know any better and MS had perhaps not quite caught up the OS with the technology...

And still excellent advice today, as long as the word in focus is defragment. However, that by no means says that you shouldn't let Win10 optimize an SSD - which is the point of OP's inquiry.

If OP had named the thread "Do I need to defrag my SSD?", there probably would have been about 12 NOs posted and that would have made short work of it.

Word Man, Oct 25, 2015
  9. Yeremyah Win User
    So W10 will NOT defrag the SSD drive, it will only "optimize and trim" it?

Should this be set for weekly or monthly?

Yeremyah, Oct 25, 2015
  10. Yeremyah Win User
    Thank you Word Man*Smile

Yeremyah, Oct 25, 2015
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Windows does recognize any SSD and ONLY uses the trim command. Windows would never defrag a SSD. My Intel SSD in my 2nd computer, comes with a nice utility made by Intel for their SSD's and it automatically checks and trims the SSD every 8 to 10 days.
    Those are Intel's defaults for their SSD's, not mine. Trim command will not hurt your SSD.

OldMike65, Oct 25, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    Monthy.

13. OldMike65 Win User

Guess I was posting msgs over others, that I didn't see....sorry folks. *Smile Weekly or monthly might just depend on how much use your SSD gets. Either one is fine I think. *Smile

OldMike65, Oct 25, 2015
  14. strollin Win User
    An ssd, by design, is always fragmented anyway. In order to not use the same set of cells all the time (thereby wearing them out prematurely), the controller purposely spreads writes to random locations. This is referred to as wear leveling.

strollin, Oct 25, 2015
  15. Yeremyah Win User
    Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I learned through you all that my SSD drive is not defragged, and I did actually notice they replaced the word "Defrag" with "Optimize".

I also noticed W10 said a message about "Trimming" when I selected to Optimize the C:, and it took around 1 second to complete the process.

I have set schedule for once per month and will just leave W10 to take care of my SSD drive for me*Smile

Thanks again*Smile

Yeremyah, Oct 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive? - Similar Threads - need defrag Hard

2. How do I Defragment my Storage Drives?.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I Defragment my Storage Drives?.: My OS is Windows 10 Home version 2004. I use a 125GB SSD only for the system and program installation files. Everything else I store and backup on my 500GB and 1TB HDD's. I have never defragmented my SSD as was advised it is not a good idea but after 7yrs I think it might be...
  3. Hard Drive Defrag . . .

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive Defrag . . .: My computer is, a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro . . . I want, to clean up, my hard drive. I think, it's known as "Defrag"? I'm not, sure why? But, my computer is running very, slowly. I hope, after cleaning up my, hard drive. It, will run faster? I typed into, my...
  4. Defraging a remote hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defraging a remote hard drive: After optimizing the remote hard drive, I get a prompt saying that it "needs optimization 17% fragmented." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defraging-a-remote-hard-drive/3edac645-c25a-467f-aee6-dd82d3dc7f4d
  5. how can defrag hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how can defrag hard drive?: need help I don't know how it's done in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-defrag-hard-drive/3c6ada84-f066-404b-a7be-0463d568e606
  6. How to defrag my hard drive in windows 10?

How to defrag my hard drive in windows 10?: How to defragment my hard drive in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-defrag-my-hard-drive-in-windows-10/a3a96022-8baa-4767-8c3e-8de4bd09af4c
  7. How do I defragment my hard drive?

How do I defragment my hard drive?: How do I defragment my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-defragment-my-hard-drive/b51b7743-4b63-4ec4-b091-e395062e3018
  8. want to Defragment my Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    want to Defragment my Hard Drive: want to Defragment my Hard Drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-defragment-my-hard-drive/9edb1c7c-1092-4789-84b2-8a1c526cbfcd
  9. Do I need to defrag the hard disk even if I format the hard disk

Do I need to defrag the hard disk even if I format the hard disk: My hard disk need defragmentation. But if I create a macrium reflect backup and then restore this back up instead of defragmentation. Whether there will be any need for defragmentation now, because while restoring, all files will be re-written now. 113689
  10. How often should I defragment my hard drive?

How often should I defragment my hard drive?: I hear that defragmenting shortens the life span of a hard drive. Is this true? Also, how often should I defrag? Windows has schedules for weekly and monthly optimizations, which is better? Or should I just manually perform it whenever defragmentation reaches a certain...