Windows 10: Do I need to initialize new Samsung SSD before cloning?

Discus and support Do I need to initialize new Samsung SSD before cloning? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In the process of installing SSD for friend. After I connected the SSD via USB adapter, I started Macrium Reflect . Reflect shows the SSD as Disc 2 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportflyer, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Do I need to initialize new Samsung SSD before cloning?

In the process of installing SSD for friend. After I connected the SSD via USB adapter, I started Macrium Reflect . Reflect shows the SSD as Disc 2 and it shows it to be empty. It did not ask me to initialize the SSD . Do I need to initialize it to MBR (which is what the original HDD is) before starting the cloning process ? If so how to do in Macrium ? TKs

:)

sportflyer, Dec 7, 2018
  2. Garrisonq Win User

Cloning HDD to SSD KEEPS FAILING

I have a Samsung SSD, so I am using the Samsung data migration application.

Garrisonq, Dec 7, 2018
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Josh_922 Win User

Do I need to initialize new Samsung SSD before cloning?

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

Do I need to initialize new Samsung SSD before cloning?

1. Do I need to initialize new Samsung SSD before cloning? - Similar Threads - need initialize Samsung

2. Initialize a new SSD card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Initialize a new SSD card: Hi. Does the windows installer initialize and format a new unused SSD card? I will be installing a 2TB SSD in my computer and am trying to avoid cloning etc. The 2TB SSD would be the only drive in my computer when it's installed. I am asking because I have come across...
  3. Initialize a new SSD card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Initialize a new SSD card: Hi. Does the windows installer initialize and format a new unused SSD card? I will be installing a 2TB SSD in my computer and am trying to avoid cloning etc. The 2TB SSD would be the only drive in my computer when it's installed. I am asking because I have come across...
  4. Samsung SSD 980cot initialize there is no option to allow it! What can I do to fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Samsung SSD 980cot initialize there is no option to allow it! What can I do to fix this?: I purchased a new Samsung SSD 980 from a world class manufacturer but Windows 11 will not even initialize it to let me format it. I find out after purchaseing and trying to get the product to work that many people with Windows 11 report the sme problem....
  5. Samsung SSD 980cot initialize there is no option to allow it! What can I do to fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Samsung SSD 980cot initialize there is no option to allow it! What can I do to fix this?: I purchased a new Samsung SSD 980 from a world class manufacturer but Windows 11 will not even initialize it to let me format it. I find out after purchaseing and trying to get the product to work that many people with Windows 11 report the sme problem....
  6. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  7. Trouble Initiating New SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble Initiating New SSD: Im trying to initiate a Samsung 870QVO SSD on my laptop using a USB 3.0 port and USB 3.0 to SATA adapter. The laptop is a HP 15Z-AW000. When I install the SSD internally, BIOS recognizes it. I cannot boot windows from the HDD on USB. So I have to clone the drive using the...
  8. How do I connect a new SSD to computer to clone old SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I connect a new SSD to computer to clone old SSD?: I have a Dell Precision 5510 with a 512 GB SSD. I have ordered a new 1 TB SSD from Dell, on which I want to clone my 512 GB drive. I'm using EaseUS software for the cloning operation. I've contacted Dell and made sure I have the correct SSD on order. I have never done this...
  9. Samsung SSD not always initialized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung SSD not always initialized: I have a Samsung 860 2.5" EVO 1TB SSD in the 2.5" slot replacing the HDD that came with it - the problem is, the machine randomly sees it. The machine is GT80 Titan SLI running latest-greatest Win10 home. It apparently has no such issues with an HDD so there is nothing...
  10. Unable to clone new ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to clone new ssd: Had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop. Took the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft. Somehow part of Windows 10 got installed on my F: drive which is a secondary HDD on my computer. I've just installed a new SSD drive and wanted to clone my current C: drive to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to initialize ssd

2. do i need to initialize my ssd before cloning

3. do i need to format new ssd before cloning

4. initialize ssd,
  5. do i need to format SSd after initialising it,
  6. initialize ssd before installing win 10?,
  7. do i need to initialize new drive if I am cloning,
  8. does a ssd drive need to be initialized prior to cloning,
  9. initializing a ssd prior to cloning,
  10. Initialize a brand new disk before you can use it,
  11. do you initialize ssd,