Windows 10: Do I need to make a new USB recovery drive after 21H2 version installation?

Discus and support Do I need to make a new USB recovery drive after 21H2 version installation? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Now that I have installed version 21H2 of Windows 10 to my laptop, should I make a new USB recovery drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ejbpesca, Feb 22, 2022.

1. ejbpesca Win User

Do I need to make a new USB recovery drive after 21H2 version installation?

Now that I have installed version 21H2 of Windows 10 to my laptop, should I make a new USB recovery drive?

:)

ejbpesca, Feb 22, 2022

2. Recovery Drive for Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize USB Drive

When I try to create a Recovery Drive in Windows 10, Windows doesn't recognize the flash drive.

I'm following the instructions to create a Recovery Drive listed here:

Create a recovery drive

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice. (I was asked to confirm my choice, and I clicked "Yes".)

• When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select
      Next.

• (Secret Step) Wait a minute or so for the "Please Wait" screen to finish thinking

• Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it ...
    The issue is that when I connect a USB drive to the PC, it doesn't appear on the "Connect a USB flash drive" screen as a drive that can be selected, and the "Next" button is grayed out.

However, when I look in File Explorer, I can see the USB drive plugged into the computer. Selecting Properties shows that Windows considers its Type to be "Removable Disk". (Sounds right to me.)

I'm not getting any error messages.

My environment:

A brand new Toshiba Sattelite C55-C5241 laptop with Windows 10 Home. It's never had anything other than Windows 10 on it - unless they upgraded it at the factory.

A brand new ativa 8GB USB flash drive. Note that the packaging for the USB drive does not include Windows 10 in the System Requirements, but seriously?

What I've tried:

• Plugging the flash drive into all three USB ports (USB 2, USB 2, and USB 3)
    • Reformatting the flash drive with FAT32
    • Restarting the computer with the flash drive plugged in
    • Turning off Real-Time Scanning in McAffee

I've seen a few threads with this issue in Windows 8, but none of the potential solutions in those threads have worked for me. So here I am asking the same question, but for Windows 10.

Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this issue?

Thank you.

Ambisinister, Feb 22, 2022
  3. TOM K 005 Win User
    create recovery drive won't recognize usb

After following the instructions on creating a recovery drive the program does not see a usb drive inserted. There is no list of drives to choose from. I am using a brand new 32gig drive. I just installed the November update to version 1511. Any ideas??

TOM K 005, Feb 22, 2022
  4. Bree Win User

Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

Thema:

1. Do I need to make a new USB recovery drive after 21H2 version installation? - Similar Threads - need USB recovery

2. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  3. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  4. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Do I need to make a new USB recovery drive after 21H2 version installation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to make a new USB recovery drive after 21H2 version installation?: Now that I have installed version 21H2 of Windows 10 to my laptop, should I make a new USB recovery drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-to-make-a-new-usb-recovery-drive-after/a3f0d236-8abb-4b1c-b9e3-80199166986f
  6. Do I need to make a new USB recovery drive after 21H2 version installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I need to make a new USB recovery drive after 21H2 version installation?: Now that I have installed version 21H2 of Windows 10 to my laptop, should I make a new USB recovery drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-to-make-a-new-usb-recovery-drive-after/a3f0d236-8abb-4b1c-b9e3-80199166986f
  7. Do I Need to Create a New Recovery Drive After Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I Need to Create a New Recovery Drive After Upgrade?: I just upgraded the storage in my LG laptop from a 256 GB SSD to a 1 TB SSD. However, I created my Windows 10 recovery drive when the 256 GB ssd was installed. Now that I have a 1 TB ssd in my laptop instead, do I have to create a new Windows 10 recovery drive for it, or is...
  8. Do I need new Recovery Drive and new ISO after Windows updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do I need new Recovery Drive and new ISO after Windows updates?: I have made a Recovery Drive on a USB thumb drive. I have also made an ISO on DVD using MediaCreationTool. After windows updates, especially feature updates, do either or both of these need to be renewed ? 171013
  9. Do I need to purchase a new version to install on a new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to purchase a new version to install on a new pc?: We are building a PC. Do I need to purchase new windows software to install on the PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-to-purchase-a-new-version-to-install-on/9bfd47d8-94f5-4bab-ba68-4caff5dd767d
  10. do i need to make new recovery media after upgrading to win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    do i need to make new recovery media after upgrading to win 10: I upgrade to windows 10 after a month of it being out. I still have the windows 8.1 recovery media I made for my system do I need to make windows 10 recovery media for it? or will the windows 8.1 recovery media work and will I be able to re upgrade if I ever have to use it...