Windows 10: Do I need to make a seperate recovery drive if I've already made a system image?

Discus and support Do I need to make a seperate recovery drive if I've already made a system image? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I received an alert from Dell through their SupportAssist program that a firmware update is available for my SSD hard drive. The pre-installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Timothy R.Harris Jr., Jul 8, 2019.

1. Do I need to make a seperate recovery drive if I've already made a system image?

I received an alert from Dell through their SupportAssist program that a firmware update is available for my SSD hard drive. The pre-installation notice gave the advisement that I should back up my hard drive before proceeding with the update; I've made a system image to an external hard drive, but I was wondering:
    1)If the firmware update goes badly and I end up needing a new hard drive (the laptop's currently under a hardware warranty), if Dell re-installs the OS, do I also need a recovery drive in order to replace the stock Dell-edition of Windows 10 with my system image (which includes my installed programs?
    2)Also, if at some point I ever need to install the image on a blank drive, since this was an image for the current drive with its current firmware, does a system image contain information for the current hard drive's firmware? If the update is successful, but at some point I end up needing to reinstall the image, will there be some sort of "mismatch" between the hard drive's actual firmware version and the system image's record of the older version's info?

:)

Timothy R.Harris Jr., Jul 8, 2019

2. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Jul 8, 2019
  3. Chester62 Win User
    System Image Recovery Hangs

I discovered that if I wait until the step "Advanced Options" to connect the external drive containing the System Image, and then click on "System Image Recovery", the recovery proceeds normally.

If I connect the external drive before starting the recovery process, that is, before clicking on "Shift" and "Restart", the system hangs when I get to the "System Image Recovery" step.

Chester62, Jul 8, 2019
  4. Do I need to make a seperate recovery drive if I've already made a system image?

Recovery drive system image backup

Hi Sean,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

1. Did you choose the recovery drive to be in the C: drive?

2. When you say D drive, are you referring to other personal files?

A system image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run(C: drive where the operating system is installed). It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. If the recovery
    drive is in a different drive (for eg. D drive), when you restore using the system image, everything else will be deleted except the files and settings which are included in the C: drive. If the D drive contains your personal files and data, I would suggest
    you to create the system image and also create a backup of the D drive and other drive in order to restore your personal files.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have any Windows related queries in the future, let us know. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

Do I need to make a seperate recovery drive if I've already made a system image?

1. Do I need to make a seperate recovery drive if I've already made a system image? - Similar Threads - need seperate recovery

2. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  3. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  4. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created

Restore Using a System Image that I've Already Created: How can I determine where the vhdx is in Disk Management? I attached it to Disk Management, but I didn't pay attention to what was there before, so I don't want to delete anything if it was already there before I attached the vhdx[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Need help with System image recovery issue. Can’t do a system image recovery every time I...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with System image recovery issue. Can’t do a system image recovery every time I...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/carlossosa0810 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ecmqx3/need_help_with_system_image_recovery_issue_cant/
  7. Need help with System image recovery issue.

Need help with System image recovery issue.: Need help with System image recovery issue. Can’t do a system image recovery every time I try the screen turn black and It say” signal entering the power saving mode shortly”. After I waited 30 minutes and nothing show up in the screen....
  8. Question on Seperate Partitions & System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question on Seperate Partitions & System Image: Thanks to this site I am regular Macrium user for System Images. I have read here that it is a good idea to split your OS (C Drive) and your music/docs/videos (to say D Drive) into separate partions. This results in a faster System image to create and restore due to the...
  9. System image or recovery flash drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image or recovery flash drive?: Of the above which is the better solution to backup or do I need both? Also, I have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows 10 fall creator version. I have created a recovery flash drive with system files included for the desktop. Will that one also work for the laptop?...
  10. Repartioning when the drives are seperated by a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Repartioning when the drives are seperated by a recovery drive: I need to shrink one partition, partition D, and extend partition C with the newly unallocated space. I can shrink D without any problems, however, for some reason the two partitions are seperated by a small recovery drive that i can not delete. Any advice about getting the...