Windows 10: Do I need to nominate the boot disk in a new multiple disk system?

Discus and support Do I need to nominate the boot disk in a new multiple disk system? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently had an ultimately unsolved problem with an existing Win 10 computer when trying to install & use an extra hard drive. I could see the extra... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalpets, Mar 21, 2019.

1. dalpets Win User

Do I need to nominate the boot disk in a new multiple disk system?

I recently had an ultimately unsolved problem with an existing Win 10 computer when trying to install & use an extra hard drive. I could see the extra drive and could use it normally but only for around a half dozen cold boots of the system. The system would then fail to boot until I removed the additional drive. I asked the question of the forum how this was so & was told to try different sata connections on the motherboard. This advice did not rectify the problem so I had no option but to permanently remove the second drive.

I now I plan to setup a new gaming computer that I am yet to install Win 10 on & suspect I may have the same problem with the intended SSD & HDD setup, because I suspect that with a dual disk setup the Win 10 system might need need to know which disk to boot from, which in this case I want to be the SSD. I say this because my experience with Linux dual disk systems is that they need to have the boot disk flagged during setup.

I'm still unsure if the problem with the above mentioned first Win 10 system was a boot issue or if it was a activation problem due to Microsoft noting a change in the hardware setup of the extra hard drive.

Could I please have your thoughts on this issue, as it affects my proposed gaming system?
    Thanks.

:)

dalpets, Mar 21, 2019

2. Disk Boot Failure!

No, I wasn't able to boot either disk. Only: BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

Franklinwallbrown, Mar 21, 2019
  3. Disk boot failure!!!

I just built my new computer. I can post and go to bios, but that's it. It recognizes my keyboard, dvd drive and harddrive, but everytime it normal boots, it has the DISK BOOT failure, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER... I'm trying to load up ubuntu from the disk drive, but it doesn't work even though i set the mobo to boot from dvd drive first.

This is a new oem HDD, does it need to be formated?
    Is there a way to format it then without an OS?

quantumsix492, Mar 21, 2019
  4. t260g Win User

disk boot failure

my hard drive died recently, and i ordered a new one. this new drive is a western digital se16 500gb. i need to format this drive, but when i try to boot from cd in post, there is a disk boot failure message: disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter. i have the XP cd in the drive, yet it will not recognize it. if you continue to press enter, the same message appears over and over again. could it be a defective HDD? would jumpers have anything to do with this?

t260g, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Do I need to nominate the boot disk in a new multiple disk system? - Similar Threads - need nominate boot

2. I need a boot disk to reinstall windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need a boot disk to reinstall windows: My Product key: D7P3X-MVHRF-4YHDP-8G8KV-9378TX16-96072 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-a-boot-disk-to-reinstall-windows/3d22c4cf-28af-47d1-a11e-98683dec6b4a
  3. I need a boot disk to reinstall windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need a boot disk to reinstall windows: My Product key: D7P3X-MVHRF-4YHDP-8G8KV-9378TX16-96072 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-a-boot-disk-to-reinstall-windows/3d22c4cf-28af-47d1-a11e-98683dec6b4a
  4. I need a boot disk to reinstall windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter: I have disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter problem when i clean my other dynamic disk in recovery mode of Windows 10 is there any way to fix my problem?...
  6. What windows 10 files do I need for a Boot disk

in Windows 10 Customization
    What windows 10 files do I need for a Boot disk: What files do I need to make a boot disk for windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-windows-10-files-do-i-need-for-a-boot-disk/5ffce20e-0a21-40eb-b1c6-618c0e9264bc
  7. Add a new disk and move windows to the new disk, will I needs reactivation windows?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Add a new disk and move windows to the new disk, will I needs reactivation windows?: I have Windows 10 LTSC 2019 installed on my computer, It licensed with a key not digital license The hard drive where windows on is a SMR hard disk and it is too slow, I'm planning add a SSD and clone whole windows partition to SSD, The old HDD will still connected to...
  8. Repair Disk Won't Boot with Non-System Disk or Disk Error

Repair Disk Won't Boot with Non-System Disk or Disk Error: Repair Disk won't boot with "Non-System Disk or Disk Error. Replace and press any key when ready." I have tried two different DVD/ROM drives installed on my Gateway desktop - and three repair disks. The repair disk is the only way to re-format the C drive before restoring...
  9. Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...: I need to create a new boot disk for a laptop I was using. I have the Windows 10 Home system disk that WAS in that laptop. I want to take the O/S OFF that disk and put it on a DIFFERENT disk.... I plugged both disks into a different PC, fired up Easus Todo Backup and did a...
  10. Bootable disk? Recovery disk? What do I need?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootable disk? Recovery disk? What do I need?: I have Win 10 64bit. I was told that I need to create a bootable disk on a USB by someone in our local store. When I asked him how many GB's he said in the 20's. I did not buy it, but much later went back and a different guy said 28GB but I should get larger just in case....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do i need a boot disk for my new computer