Windows 10: Do i need to reinstall windows after i did chkdsk /f /r /x on drive?

Discus and support Do i need to reinstall windows after i did chkdsk /f /r /x on drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My hdd disk c seems to be slowing down these days, so i decided to run chkdsk /f /r /x on it. And when it's finished, i can only see my cursor and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hir0Cyn, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Hir0Cyn Win User

Do i need to reinstall windows after i did chkdsk /f /r /x on drive?

My hdd disk c seems to be slowing down these days, so i decided to run chkdsk /f /r /x on it. And when it's finished, i can only see my cursor and windows background it doesn't havr anything else. So should i format and reinstall windows, or what?

:)

Hir0Cyn, Nov 21, 2020

2. CHKDSK /F /R /X

Sorry to top should read:

<CHKDSK G: /F /R /X

Horst

Horst-Dammer, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

We appreciate the response. I'm referring to Check Disk (chkdsk) utility tool. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest that you run a chkdsk by:

• Press Windows Key + X button to bring up the power user menu.
    • In the power user menu, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.
    This option will run chkdsk to check and repair disk errors in Windows 10. The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount
    before the process starts.

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Do i need to reinstall windows after i did chkdsk /f /r /x on drive?

Chkdsk /f

Hi,

The error message "Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected." is usually occurring if there is a write protection tab on your hard drive or the partition file system is corrupted or damaged due to malware infection or
    other unknown reasons.

For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows 10 is installed on your computer?
    • What changes have you made to the device before this issue occurred?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest entering the command chkdsk E: /f /r /x in Command Prompt. Take note that you should replace
    E with the drive letter for your PC's hard drive or USB drive. Once done, check if the same issue persists.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found when chkdsk tries to repair that sector, any data available on it might be lost.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Darleen Pen, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Do i need to reinstall windows after i did chkdsk /f /r /x on drive?

1. Do i need to reinstall windows after i did chkdsk /f /r /x on drive? - Similar Threads - need reinstall did

2. CHKDSK /F & /R query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK /F & /R query: Hi everyone, I ran CHKDSK /F and then the CHKDSK /R on CMD which ran both times on system boot.These were both successful, there were no known errors and no FOUND.000 folder is available on the C drive. My question is does running these commands when there is nothing wrong...
  3. chkdsk /f /r problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk /f /r problem: I run the chkdsk /f /r it checks the c: drive then it accidentally turn off when I turn it back on its a blue screen I try everything it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-f-r-problem/e8cb42cb-d44e-43da-8c8f-3e7004d7f444
  4. chkdsk /f /r problem

chkdsk /f /r problem: I run the chkdsk /f /r it checks the c: drive then it accidentally turn off when I turn it back on its a blue screen I try everything it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-f-r-problem/e8cb42cb-d44e-43da-8c8f-3e7004d7f444
  5. CHKDSK /f /r /x stage 5

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK /f /r /x stage 5: HiI have a external USB disk 16TB that is currently locked by chkdsk and is in stage 5 @15% and is not stuckThe disk is a few months old.Wanted to do a check on files only and not on free space. Anyway chkdsk is now checking free space. bad, free clustersHow can I close CMD...
  6. CHKDSK /f /r /x stage 5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK /f /r /x stage 5: HiI have a external USB disk 16TB that is currently locked by chkdsk and is in stage 5 @15% and is not stuckThe disk is a few months old.Wanted to do a check on files only and not on free space. Anyway chkdsk is now checking free space. bad, free clustersHow can I close CMD...
  7. CHKDSK /f /r /x stage 5

8. System crashes after run CHKDSK /f /r /x

System crashes after run CHKDSK /f /r /x: today, 2nd time run CHKDSK /f /r /x .. after long time - didn't run it; & detected for sure PROBLEMS - 5x consequent crashes with Blue Screen; .. as it was all the time - some hardware issue; notebook ASUS X550CC, end January 2014, in Utilities until it runs; .. have...
  9. CHKDSK /f or /r not running

CHKDSK /f or /r not running: Hi peps. I need a little help here the chkdsk command /f and /r and also I tried /x but all I get Scanning and Repairing. Its working on my Desktop PC but its working on my Laptop both Windows 10 Verson 2004. I have looked at the Registry Editer and looked at BootExecute...
  10. I STILL CANT OPEN MY DRIVE AFTER CHKDSK /R AND /F

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I STILL CANT OPEN MY DRIVE AFTER CHKDSK /R AND /F: when i search ways to fix my drive the file or directory is corrupt and unreadable i found chkdsk way but i still cant access it and it keep deleting file every time i chkdsk , is there a way to save my file when the drive cant open?...