Windows 10: Do I need to subscribe to another security service like McAfee when Windows Defender is...

Discus and support Do I need to subscribe to another security service like McAfee when Windows Defender is... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am subscribed to McAfee. Is it necessary along with Windows Defender or can I use Defender alone?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by deedar1, Aug 16, 2022.

1. deedar1 Win User

Do I need to subscribe to another security service like McAfee when Windows Defender is...

I am subscribed to McAfee. Is it necessary along with Windows Defender or can I use Defender alone?

:)

deedar1, Aug 16, 2022

2. Securing Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 services HOW TO

I will try changing their settings sometime, the one thing I've noticed about this guide is that it doesn't list the Windows services that NEED to be left as local system, so some people might not be too sure what they're doing and worry about any that aren't listed. Just a suggestion that you might want to include in any future revisions. *Smile Do I need to subscribe to another security service like McAfee when Windows Defender is... :)

The non-default ones I have that you have not listed are:

.Net Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
    Ati HotKey Poller
    ATI Smart
    AVG E-mail Scanner
    AVG7 Alert Manager Server
    AVG7 Update Service
    BlueSoleil Hid Service
    Bluetooth Support Service
    ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard
    iPod Service
    Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service
    Service Layer
    Windows Defender Service

The problem is that the only ones of these I actually use are The AVG and Windows Defender services and occasionally the "Service Layer" service (related to Nokia PC Suite) and the "Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service" (related to WindowsLive Messenger). Anyway, I'll see how much I can secure those and post back how I get on. I'll try to test it sometime this week just I'm a bit waring of changing the AVG settings because the only way to test if it was still working would be for a virus to be detected... and I' rather I didn't get viruses!

Jimmy 2004, Aug 16, 2022
  3. Borg 386 Win User
    windows defender & security center services keep turning off

Are you running any other AV or did you have one running in the past? If you didn't use an uninstaller for the AV, then the remnants of it could be causing the problem. Normally any time you install an AV it disables Defender by default.

If you are getting any error codes please list those, that will be helpful in helping you.

As torre suggested, might be a good idea to do a reset or even a reinstall.

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are also some suggestions listed here:

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Borg 386, Aug 16, 2022
  4. Do I need to subscribe to another security service like McAfee when Windows Defender is...

McAfee security

Read through this and it will show you step by step how to remove McAfee from your computer

PC Hell: How to Uninstall McAfee

hTconeM9user, Aug 16, 2022
Thema:

Do I need to subscribe to another security service like McAfee when Windows Defender is...

1. Do I need to subscribe to another security service like McAfee when Windows Defender is... - Similar Threads - need subscribe another

2. Do I need McAfee Advanced and Windows Defender both on my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need McAfee Advanced and Windows Defender both on my computer?: I purchased McAfee Advanced in July 2023, then in October 2023 Windows Defender automatically installed on my computer. Since then I can't get updates to my payroll service in Quickbooks. Do I need both or can I turn Defender off since I'm paying for the McAfee Advanced. How...
  3. Do I need McAfee Advanced and Windows Defender both on my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I need McAfee Advanced and Windows Defender both on my computer?: I purchased McAfee Advanced in July 2023, then in October 2023 Windows Defender automatically installed on my computer. Since then I can't get updates to my payroll service in Quickbooks. Do I need both or can I turn Defender off since I'm paying for the McAfee Advanced. How...
  4. Do I need another Security Program in addition to Microsoft Defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Do I need another Security Program in addition to Microsoft Defender?: Do I need another Security software like McAfee on my computer ? If I have Windows and I thought that's all I needed. [Original Title: Extra Security]...
  5. Do I need McAfee?

Do I need McAfee?: Hi,Did I need McAfee for extra protection?? [Original Title: McAfee] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/do-i-need-mcafee/f6b00cdb-fa26-4ec5-9c08-cca5fac6dfef
  6. Do I need McAfee?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I need McAfee?: I recently got a Dell XPS 15. I saw there is virus protection included in windows 10. With that being said, the lady that helped me at the store convinced me to buy McAfee security. I’m not sure if that part of her spiel but I can still return it. Is this needed with windows...
  7. Microsoft security vs McAfee do I need both?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft security vs McAfee do I need both?: I have had McAfee anti virus software installed on my computers for a long time. Do I need to have McAfee if I have if I have Microsoft Security and Defender that comes with Windows 10 Home Edition? Or should I keep both? How is Microsoft ant virus working for you?...
  8. I Have Windows Defender, Do I Need McAfee?

I Have Windows Defender, Do I Need McAfee?: Why would I need McAfee Anti-Virus Software if I have Windows Defender 10? [Original Title: Windows Defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/i-have-windows-defender-do-i-need-mcafee/a79c61aa-faec-43be-a2dd-55bf443df762
  9. McAfee and Windows Defender Security Centre

McAfee and Windows Defender Security Centre: Hello, I have recently purchased a Laptop and put McAfee for the Anti-Virus protection. I have a problem with what seem to be the two software clashing together. Inside the McAfee, it informs me that the Firewall is on however, inside the Windows Defender Security Centre...
  10. Do I need McAfee Firewall application if I have Windows Defender application?

Do I need McAfee Firewall application if I have Windows Defender application?: I keep getting this annoying message about if I am aware that McAfee Firewall Defender is not turned on. I have chacked and I have my Windows Defender firewall protection on. How can I get the McAfee software off of my machine - I find them to be a complete annoyance and...