Windows 10: Do I really need a homegroup?

Discus and support Do I really need a homegroup? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In Windows 7, I had a desktop PC and a laptop on a network without a homegroup, and I shared files seamlessly between both computers over the network.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gogreen, Dec 2, 2015.

1. gogreen Win User

Do I really need a homegroup?

In Windows 7, I had a desktop PC and a laptop on a network without a homegroup, and I shared files seamlessly between both computers over the network. Windows 10 seems to require a homegroup to share. And if it doesn't, it sure wants to promote homegroup use. Doesn't a homegroup merely duplicate network sharing? Do I need a homegroup in Windows 10 to share across a network?

:)

gogreen, Dec 2, 2015
  2. HyperFear Win User

Do I really need a VPN? windows 10

Generally for home users there's no need for a VPN. They're nice to have for going out in public on a laptop or phone when you connect to open/unsecured networks, but if you're in your home and have a secure network, it's not really necessary.

HyperFear, Dec 2, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Do I really need a VPN? windows 10

It's really up to you. If you have a use case that requires end-to-end encryption over the internet, a VPN is for you. A VPN is also for the paranoid, but you don't impress me that way.

You do understand that there is nothing truly hidden on the internet, VPN or not. A VPN owner has lots of data about its customers that would be worth lots of money and, besides, how much do you really know about the people behind the VPN?

In the end it comes down to what kind of person you are what you believe. There's no right or wrong answer.

BulldogXX, Dec 2, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, Dec 2, 2015
  5. bro67 Win User
    The answer would be no.

bro67, Dec 3, 2015
  6. gogreen Win User
    I successfully left the homegroup on both my laptop and desktop PC. However, both computers appear as computers in the network listing on the laptop. But only the laptop appears as a networked computer on the desktop. How do get the desktop PC to appear as a shared computer in its network listing? Thanks.

gogreen, Dec 3, 2015
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    How are these set up on the desktop?
    Do I really need a homegroup? [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Dec 3, 2015
  8. gogreen Win User

I've set them up as shown. Did I do this correctly?

gogreen, Dec 3, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Dec 3, 2015
  10. gogreen Win User
    Good tip, topgundcp. Thanks. I confirmed that the network is private. The computer is still not appearing in the network listing.

gogreen, Dec 3, 2015
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Did you check all the services from the my post #2 above ?

topgundcp, Dec 3, 2015
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Do I really need a homegroup? [​IMG]

After our major update, even thou I was not using homegroup at all, Windows 10 does show it in file explorer. If I remove it so it does not show, my computers are no longer networked. EVEN Thou HomeGroup is not configured. Here is the pic. So I just let it stay listed.

OldMike65, Dec 3, 2015
  13. gogreen Win User

Yes. Listed services are running. To reiterate, both computers appear on the desktop PC's network listing, but on the laptop, only the laptop computer is listed in the laptop's network listing. Could I have missed a setting on the laptop?

gogreen, Dec 3, 2015
  14. gogreen Win User
    topgundcp, a question: The services you listed in your post #2 are running, but what should the startup types be for these services? Thanks.

gogreen, Dec 4, 2015
  15. bro67 Win User
    Homegroup will always show even if the service is not running. It is coded into Explorer. Basically all you are seeing is a shortcut to that Network area.

There are ways to tweak those items you do not want to show in Explorer through GPO or the Registry. But you have to be very careful.

bro67, Dec 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Do I really need a homegroup? - Similar Threads - really need homegroup

2. Do I really need a PC sweep cleaner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I really need a PC sweep cleaner?: D I really need to purchase a PC sweep cleaner? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-really-need-a-pc-sweep-cleaner/1e7b95d3-cbcb-4c23-b840-555229f4093c
  3. Microsoft Edge WebView2: do I REALLY need it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge WebView2: do I REALLY need it?: This is taking up a lot of my resources and it's always running. I don't use Edge as a browser in W11 nor do I use Widgets. I don't have Office installed either.I know I cannot natively uninstall Microsoft Edge WebView2, I can uninstall with many third party uninstallers...
  4. I really need this . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    I really need this . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 pro, The problem I'm having, is Google. I love it, as a browser! But, what I really like. Is it's, speech recognition. I click, on the microphone. At the end of, search bar. And I can say, anything. It then, display what I...
  5. Do I really need 2 recovery partitions?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I really need 2 recovery partitions?: [IMG] submitted by /u/ProGamer1151 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kj0x6i/do_i_really_need_2_recovery_partitions/
  6. I really really really need help with this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I really really really need help with this: Hey i accidentally switched to a microsoft account instead of local on my laptop (windows 10, im pretty sure its the latest version) and just so happened to turn off my computer some time afterwards but i dont remember my microsoft password, it shows the reset password option...
  7. Do I really need pagefile active?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Do I really need pagefile active?: Just wondering do I really need page file active on my system? I do play a lot of games, watch vids, and browse the net. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-really-need-pagefile-active/ea020c30-6dc6-4dad-a96d-24084ca1d97e
  8. Do I need a HomeGroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Do I need a HomeGroup: Early on I created a HomeGroup for these two machines. Never used it for anything. We both operate fine on the network as is. Since the FCUpdate, the HomeGroup disappeared. Doing some research I've cleaned up behind it's removal. My question is: Is there any advantage to...
  9. Do I need a "workgroup", a "domain", a "homegroup" or what?

Do I need a "workgroup", a "domain", a "homegroup" or what?: Hello - I have two Windows 10 Pro (x64) PCs in a home/small office environment. - They are on the same Ethernet network. i.e. They are connected to a Negear N600 Wireless Modem Router. - There is a printer on the same network that I want both PCs to be able to use...
  10. Sharing, Homegroup do I need the?

Sharing, Homegroup do I need the?: Windows 10: Only PC user, account shows me as Local Account Administrator. Is this the same as a simple "Local Account". Ir not what should I make it? Do I still have a reason to have a "Network"? Have a wireless router, connected to desktop with ethernet cable I use...