Windows 10: Do I really need a Windows 11 Pro MSR Partition on my hard drive?

Discus and support Do I really need a Windows 11 Pro MSR Partition on my hard drive? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had to create a larger MSR partition because an in-place upgrade would not work without expanding my EFI partition, which required deleting the old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MartinWalker6, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Do I really need a Windows 11 Pro MSR Partition on my hard drive?

I had to create a larger MSR partition because an in-place upgrade would not work without expanding my EFI partition, which required deleting the old MSR partition then creating a new one after enlarging my EFI partition. I have had problems doing this, and in the process discovered my PC will boot just fine woithout any MSR partition at all. In researching this I found a lot of conflicting information on this issue. Can anyone point me to a Microsoft definitive answer on this question?

:)

MartinWalker6, Nov 13, 2022
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 13, 2022
  3. Snoman112 Win User
    Help with MSR partition on secondary drives

I have two secondary hard drives that have MSR partitions on them. I want to use them in another setup but dont want conflict if possible because of partitions. I also dont want unneeded partitions. Both drives have partition one as MSR. Do I need to delete
    these, if so, do I extend my main partition? Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Snoman112, Nov 13, 2022
  4. Do I really need a Windows 11 Pro MSR Partition on my hard drive?

Windows 10 Hard Drive(GTP) wont boot up after formatting Recovery, Reserved(MSR) and system partition.

I made a bootable Windows 7 USB (32 GB) and booted my pc with it, in the installation menu it was asking me to choose a partition out of the 6 partition from my
    main hard drive (1TB) not the USB (32GB) on which it was booted on.

The six of partitions of my hard drive which were shown are -

1. system partition (100mb)
    2. Recovery Partition (499mb)
    3. Reserved Partition (16 mb) (MSR)
    4. my c drive
    5. my d drive
    6. my e drive
    I didn't think anything and formatted the first 3 partitions, the system, Recovery and the Reserved(MSR) partition, i didn't notice anything until i decided to reboot my pc
    after un-plugging the bootable USB. When i started my pc without the bootable USB it was giving me an error which said that it didn't detect any bootable hard drive, so i plugged my USB and tried to fix the the hard drive from cmd. I have watched
    Hundreds of videos since then, tried to change the boot modes (UEFI / LEGACY ), un-plugged and plugged the hard drive twice, tried the system reserved partition fix, but nothing solved my issue ( i was trying to fix my main 1TB hard drive from the bootable
    USB, because the hard drive won't boot), after reading lots of posts and watching all those videos, i think i have some idea that what might have happened, i think i
    formatted the three hidden system partition, which I wasn't supposed to touch at all, and that had all deleted the booting mechanics. I tried a lot of fixed, at one point i
    deleted ( not formatted) the 16Mb MSR reserved partition and re-created it (it was empty anyways and i was desperate) but it didn't help. I don't want to reinstall a fresh windows on my hard drive because I don't want to lose data. Is there
    any way in which i can boot into windows again with my hard drive without any data loss?

Addition info -

• I have a GTP hard drive
    • My pc doesn't have system reserved partition, it instead has a different system and reserved (MSR) partition.
    Please ask me if i didn't make anything clear.

XcaliberDotCpp, Nov 13, 2022
Thema:

Do I really need a Windows 11 Pro MSR Partition on my hard drive?

1. Do I really need a Windows 11 Pro MSR Partition on my hard drive? - Similar Threads - really need Pro

2. Do I really need a Windows 11 Pro MSR Partition on my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I really need a Windows 11 Pro MSR Partition on my hard drive?: I had to create a larger MSR partition because an in-place upgrade would not work without expanding my EFI partition, which required deleting the old MSR partition then creating a new one after enlarging my EFI partition. I have had problems doing this, and in the process...
  3. I need help on how to merge my partitioned hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need help on how to merge my partitioned hard drive: [entfernt] submitted by /u/pythonnoob69 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mayjtw/i_need_help_on_how_to_merge_my_partitioned_hard/
  4. Do I really need 2 recovery partitions?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I really need 2 recovery partitions?: [IMG] submitted by /u/ProGamer1151 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kj0x6i/do_i_really_need_2_recovery_partitions/
  5. Missing MSR partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing MSR partition: I have performed a new installation (with new motherboard, processor and SSD) of Windows 10 Professional (from an installation USB created today using the Download Tool on the Microsoft website). The installation appeared to go smoothly, but only the primary partition...
  6. How do I remove a partition on my hard drive?

How do I remove a partition on my hard drive?: I have a lot of space on my hard drive but it is partitioned to allocate space to recovery. How do I remove this partition. I have 411 GB free out of 443 GB but my restore says that I only have 2.16 GB free of 19.9 GB....
  7. Is it important to partition my hard drive for Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it important to partition my hard drive for Windows 10 Pro?: I installed Windows 10 ona new SSD and missed the option "unallocated space on disk 0".Is it really necessary to partition SSD? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-important-to-partition-my-hard-drive-for/9be287f3-d658-4751-969c-be06fc308c3f"
  8. Issues with MSR Partition

Issues with MSR Partition: Hi all, I'm trying to update Windows 10 (build 1809) to the latest build 18890 in 20H1. I'm getting errors stating that it can't write to the system reserved partition, which I am aware was deleted some time ago. I haven't had any problems with Windows until this. Attached...
  9. Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?: I have this SSD hard drive: Samsung SSD 650 Series 2.5" SATA 120GB | for Business Do I need to defrag it? If so, what do I use to defrag it and how often? 27676
  10. Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions

Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions: Hello, I think that for some reason, my EFI and MSR partitions were not located on my main Windows drive. When I installed linux mint on a separate drive, Windows refused to boot. I did the usual linux chain of debugging like boot-repair and update-grub but I don't...