Windows 10: Do I really need pagefile active?

Discus and support Do I really need pagefile active? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just wondering do I really need page file active on my system? I do play a lot of games, watch vids, and browse the net.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kiwiprobie1, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Do I really need pagefile active?

Just wondering do I really need page file active on my system? I do play a lot of games, watch vids, and browse the net.

:)

Kiwiprobie1, Dec 31, 2018

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Do I really need pagefile active?

With my system specs am I still needing it?

I do remember that when i had my laptop that I had the pagefile turned off and with 8 gigs of ram and that seemed fine, and I didnt have problems. But I am not 100% sure with desktops because I only really started using them again.

Kiwiprobie1, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Do I really need pagefile active?

Do I really need pagefile active?

What about clearing the pagefile at every shutdown? Is that ok to do in the long run?

Kiwiprobie1, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Do I really need pagefile active?

1. Do I really need pagefile active? - Similar Threads - really need pagefile

2. Do I really need a PC sweep cleaner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I really need a PC sweep cleaner?: D I really need to purchase a PC sweep cleaner? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-really-need-a-pc-sweep-cleaner/1e7b95d3-cbcb-4c23-b840-555229f4093c
  3. Do I really need a PC sweep cleaner?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Do I really need a PC sweep cleaner?: D I really need to purchase a PC sweep cleaner? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-really-need-a-pc-sweep-cleaner/1e7b95d3-cbcb-4c23-b840-555229f4093c
  4. Microsoft Edge WebView2: do I REALLY need it?

Microsoft Edge WebView2: do I REALLY need it?: This is taking up a lot of my resources and it's always running. I don't use Edge as a browser in W11 nor do I use Widgets. I don't have Office installed either.I know I cannot natively uninstall Microsoft Edge WebView2, I can uninstall with many third party uninstallers...
  5. I really need this . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    I really need this . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 pro, The problem I'm having, is Google. I love it, as a browser! But, what I really like. Is it's, speech recognition. I click, on the microphone. At the end of, search bar. And I can say, anything. It then, display what I...
  6. Do I really need 2 recovery partitions?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I really need 2 recovery partitions?: [IMG] submitted by /u/ProGamer1151 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kj0x6i/do_i_really_need_2_recovery_partitions/
  7. I really really really need help with this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I really really really need help with this: Hey i accidentally switched to a microsoft account instead of local on my laptop (windows 10, im pretty sure its the latest version) and just so happened to turn off my computer some time afterwards but i dont remember my microsoft password, it shows the reset password option...
  8. Do i really need to redownload my games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do i really need to redownload my games?: In this system i use an SSD to install windows and an HDD to install everything else. So i bought the PC gamepass and installed gears 5 and the outer worlds a week ago. And in this time, my ssd started to show some fatigue signs, so i bought an NVME and installed windows in...
  9. Which iTunes components do I REALLY need?

Which iTunes components do I REALLY need?: I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 not long ago & want to reinstall iTunes. But 1st, I'd like to know which components I REALLY need? What I mean is that when running the iTunes setup program, it unpacks 5 Windows Installer packages: AppleApplicationSupport64.msi...
  10. Do I really need a homegroup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Do I really need a homegroup?: In Windows 7, I had a desktop PC and a laptop on a network without a homegroup, and I shared files seamlessly between both computers over the network. Windows 10 seems to require a homegroup to share. And if it doesn't, it sure wants to promote homegroup use. Doesn't a...