Windows 10: Do most anti-virus/malware apps scan all drives or just C:?

Discus and support Do most anti-virus/malware apps scan all drives or just C:? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This may sound as a simple question but I have noticed that when I run HitmanPro Alert it only shows the C: drive being scanned! I also have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by scopio, Jan 19, 2020.

1. scopio Win User

Do most anti-virus/malware apps scan all drives or just C:?

This may sound as a simple question but I have noticed that when I run HitmanPro Alert it only shows the C: drive being scanned!

I also have Malwarebytes Pro so my question is when I run a scan with either HitmanPro Alert or Malwarebytes Pro do they scan all drives (4x) in the pc or just the c: drive?

:)

scopio, Jan 19, 2020

2. Need anti-virus app for special application

I need an anti virus app that is really Top Notch that will only scan a certain folder I tell it to or scan the folder live or on demand.

Only this one folder must be scanned. I do not want the app to scan the whole drive.

What I am doing is using Sandboxie for my protection and downloads. I want to be able to scan the download folder for virus's/malware before I move the downloads out of the sandbox to my regular drive so I only need the sandbox folder scanned.

Does anyone know of an anti-virus app that I can set up to do this?

John Phoenix, Jan 20, 2020
  3. oily_17 Win User
    Need anti-virus app for special application

Most will do this if you exclude it from scanning all other files.

But why not just run the Antivirus normally ? If the virus is not executed till you run the program/app, then just scanning the downloaded folder may not pick up on it.

If you then move the program/app out of the sandbox, you will have no protection outside of it.
    Your best bet would be to use an Antivirus which does not use alot of system resources, and just let it run.

oily_17, Jan 20, 2020
  4. Do most anti-virus/malware apps scan all drives or just C:?

Firewall, Anti-Virus, Malware Protection for Windows 10

Microsoft recommends the use of its own products and sites.

>
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products

There does not exist 1 security product which is THE best and which will catch each and every infection..

Whenever you think that your computer might be infected you can run on-demand scans with some of the products listed here:

List of Malware Removal Tools

Suggestion to read

Jsssssssss, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Do most anti-virus/malware apps scan all drives or just C:?

1. Do most anti-virus/malware apps scan all drives or just C:? - Similar Threads - anti virus malware

2. Anti Virus Scans

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anti Virus Scans: My HP laptop has Windows 11. I am always being asked to do a quick anti virus security scan which takes hours to complete if at all. I have windows 11 security in S Mode. My security updates are paused for 1 week don't know why this is but I can't change it I won't go on any...
  3. Anti Virus Scans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anti Virus Scans: My HP laptop has Windows 11. I am always being asked to do a quick anti virus security scan which takes hours to complete if at all. I have windows 11 security in S Mode. My security updates are paused for 1 week don't know why this is but I can't change it I won't go on any...
  4. scan for virus and malware in USB drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    scan for virus and malware in USB drive: Hi! i am using windows 10home latest version. and all my software are up to date. how can i set defender to automatically scan for viruses and autoruns in a usb drive when after plugging in?...
  5. Do anti virus and anti malware programs do the same thing?

Do anti virus and anti malware programs do the same thing?: I've read in the past that one shouldn't run more than one anti viral app at a time to avoid slowing down my desktop or run into conflicts. I've been running Webroot SecureAnywhere simultaneously with MalwareBytes Premium going with the theory that they do different things....
  6. anti virus malware

anti virus malware: what is the best anti virus malware product to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus-malware/071e19f9-9d23-4806-8462-06b6fc936657"
  7. Which are the most credible anti-virus/anti-malware review websites?

Which are the most credible anti-virus/anti-malware review websites?: Hello Which are the most credible anti-virus/anti-malware software review websites? Thanks J 139926
  8. Anti virus and malware protection

Anti virus and malware protection: Is the Windows Defender very effective protection against any harms that may be? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/anti-virus-and-malware-protection/6a679aa5-3f2b-4172-84f6-b812aa914cfb
  9. Anti-virus and Anti-malware??

Anti-virus and Anti-malware??: 1. Do I need a particular anti-malware software , in addition to Anti-virus? 2. Is the paid version of Avast good and sufficient enough to reduce risks? 3. Is "malware" a collective term that includes ransomware, adware, spyware ...... or are they all different things...
  10. Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing

Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing: It seems that so many anti-virus products are decent and do a fair job of protecting your computer, whether or not you pay for them. And all reviews I've read over the years usually conclude that free is best, because the "extra stuff" you get really don't help all that much...