Windows 10: Do not change Linux files using Windows apps and tools

Discus and support Do not change Linux files using Windows apps and tools in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; There is one hard-and-fast rule when it comes to Bash on Windows: DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, create and/or modify Linux files using Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Do not change Linux files using Windows apps and tools

Source: Do not change Linux files using Windows apps and tools Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

Brink, Nov 19, 2016

2. I often edit a python file on my PC, that I run on my Raspberry Pi? I use sneaker net and a thumb drive to transfer it from one to the other. No issues so far. It's a py file so I guess its not really a Linux file?

:)

alphanumeric, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Windows-Ubuntu Dual Boot, Cannot write or edit files in Ubuntu.

Hi Hemal,

First of all, Linux and Windows are completely different operating systems. We have an information site about our warning not to combine these two operating systems.

You can read for more information here - Do not change Linux files using Windows apps and tools:

If you want to install or have multiple operating systems on your computer, you will need to separate them into drive partitions. This means
    Windows doesn’t coincide with other operating systems files to work with its file system.

All Linux files are read-only in Windows. There is no script that allows you to edit or write their files while they are saved on the hard disk of where Windows was installed.

Source: How to Access Your Ubuntu Bash Files in Windows (and Your Windows
    System Drive in Bash)

If you need more help, contact us again.

Johann Eva, Nov 19, 2016
  4. Do not change Linux files using Windows apps and tools

Leaving microsoft

Yawn. I use various distros of linux when and where it makes sense. Care to compare notes in a different thread?

Lets let CW vent in his own way.

Oh and actually you are wrong about Linux being the most used OS, Android is.

A colakid is a colakid only the name changes.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Do not change Linux files using Windows apps and tools - Similar Threads - change Linux files

2. Using unactivated windows 10 for changing OS to Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using unactivated windows 10 for changing OS to Linux: I want to ask, is it okay to use windows without activation to switch to a linux operating system? because I need a software on windows to create a partition so that the linux distro can boot from the flash disk...
  3. Using unactivated windows 10 for changing OS to Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using unactivated windows 10 for changing OS to Linux: I want to ask, is it okay to use windows without activation to switch to a linux operating system? because I need a software on windows to create a partition so that the linux distro can boot from the flash disk...
  4. Using unactivated windows 10 for changing OS to Linux

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Run Linux Apps on Windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run Linux Apps on Windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux: WSL or Windows Subsystem for Linux allows you to run GNU/Linux environment in Windows 10/11 directly without using a dual-boot configuration or a virtual machine.GIMP running on Windows 11 installation, courtesy of WSLgPrerequisites for WSLWSL1/WSL2 requires Windows 10 Build...
  6. Run Linux Apps on Windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run Linux Apps on Windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux: WSL or Windows Subsystem for Linux allows you to run GNU/Linux environment in Windows 10/11 directly without using a dual-boot configuration or a virtual machine.GIMP running on Windows 11 installation, courtesy of WSLgPrerequisites for WSLWSL1/WSL2 requires Windows 10 Build...
  7. Introducing Linux GUI apps running on Windows using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Introducing Linux GUI apps running on Windows using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/no_quests [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mvlwj9/introducing_linux_gui_apps_running_on_windows/
  8. Using Windows 10 tools to modify Linux subsystem files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using Windows 10 tools to modify Linux subsystem files: I am trying to set up a development environment inside of Windows, so I won't have to dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu. My logic was that I can use the Ubuntu subsystem within Windows to keep my project files, but use applications available in Windows to modify these files...
  9. Meld is an excellent file and folder comparison tool for Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 News
    Meld is an excellent file and folder comparison tool for Windows and Linux: Ever had two sets of the same files and folders and couldn't decide which one to retain? It may take a long time to actually open each to verify the one that's recent or the one you need; while dates associated with the files may help, they won't all the time as they don't...
  10. Media Installation tool on Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Installation tool on Linux: Want to clean install Win10 on SSD. Running on Linux CD presently. How do I get Media Installation tool if running Linux? 84801