Windows 10: Do not have permission to create folders, files, etc on external drive

Discus and support Do not have permission to create folders, files, etc on external drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been trying to use my external drives, copy to them, create folders for my files, but I always get the message "you do not have permission" in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MaxEngineer, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Do not have permission to create folders, files, etc on external drive

I've been trying to use my external drives, copy to them, create folders for my files, but I always get the message "you do not have permission" in various forms. I've spent days trying to fix this with the items posted online about security, taking control of files,, things ike

To take ownership of a file or folder

1. Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

2. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4. Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

• To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

• To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

5. (Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box..........

or

Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Applies to: Windows 8 EnterpriseWindows 8 ProWindows 8 More
    Summary
    When you try to access or work with files and folders in Windows, you experience one or more of the following issues:
    • Issue 1: You receive an "Access Denied" error message or a similar message.
    • Issue 2: You cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.
    • Issue 3: You cannot open a file or folder after you install a new version of Windows.
    Resolution
    To resolve a particular issue, follow the steps for the issue that best describes your situation. Use the method for your version of Windows.

Note You may not always receive an “Access Denied” error message for these kinds of issues. If particular steps do not resolve the issue, try a different set of steps.

Issue 1: I receive an "Access Denied" error message when I try to access or work with files and folders
    Issue 2: I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders
    Issue 3: I cannot open a file or folder after I upgrade to a new version of Windows

or other similar instructions (i've tried them all)

NOTHING WORKS!!!!!

I still cannot create folders, create files etc on ANY of my external drives...... I'm so at wits end.

:)

MaxEngineer, Oct 9, 2019

2. How to Customize File Sharing Permissions to Create/Modify/Delete FILES... but not FOLDERS?

Hello. I need to customize a shared folder on my network so that one user (Reba) can create, append, modify, delete all FILES within that folder and subfolders... but Reba should not be able to create or delete the FOLDERS.

I've tested various configurations, and the closest I've been able to come is to create
    TWO sets of Advanced permissions for Reba:

1. The first instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "This folders and subfolders,"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Create folders / append data
    • Delete
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

2. The second instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "Files Only:"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Create folders / append data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Delete
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

The above configuration does deny Reba the ability to create folders/subfolders... but ALLOWs her to delete folders (which I do NOT want her to be able to do).

DMGonzalez-Web, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Do not have permission to create folders, files, etc on external drive

Cannot copy files from external drive

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to us.

1. Did you try to create a new user account and try to copy the files from your external drive to your computer?
    2. What is the location that you are trying to past the file? For example, are you pasting the files from your external drive to your Desktop, Documents, or somewhere else?
    3. Are you able to copy the same files from the external drive to the some other PC?
    4. Are the files write protected on your external drive?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Go to the destination folder on your computer, where you are trying to copy the files from your external drive. Let’s create a
    New Folder on your desktop.

Step 2: Double click on New Folder from your desktop and
    Right Click on some blank space and click on Properties
    and go to General tab.

Step 3: Under Attributes, completely uncheck the
    Read-only option. (The box should be blank, check it again if it has a checkmark or a small square inside it).

Step 3: Click on Apply and
    OK

Step 4: Now, open one of the files on your external drive and do the same, i.e.,
    Right Click on a file (NOT THE FOLDER) >
    Properties
    > General and under Attributes, uncheck
    Read-only option.

Step 5: Click on Apply and
    OK

Now, see if you are able to copy this file from your external drive to your computer.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Do not have permission to create folders, files, etc on external drive

1. Do not have permission to create folders, files, etc on external drive - Similar Threads - permission create folders

2. I do not have permissions to save files in folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I do not have permissions to save files in folders.: So i cannot save a file that i used a few days ago I also cannot include screenshots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-do-not-have-permissions-to-save-files-in-folders/9740be92-fac7-4892-a49c-55036de0c028
  3. I do not have permissions to save files in folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I do not have permissions to save files in folders.: So i cannot save a file that i used a few days ago I also cannot include screenshots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-do-not-have-permissions-to-save-files-in-folders/9740be92-fac7-4892-a49c-55036de0c028
  4. I do not have permissions to save files in folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I Do Not Have Permission to Create Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I Do Not Have Permission to Create Files: I downloaded a file locker but then I suddenly couldnt create any files. I deleted the program and tried some solutions I found on the internet but they didnt work. I changed a few things on advanced security settings. I changed owner to Everyone and created a permission...
  6. I Do Not Have Permission to Create Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Do Not Have Permission to Create Files: I downloaded a file locker but then I suddenly couldnt create any files. I deleted the program and tried some solutions I found on the internet but they didnt work. I changed a few things on advanced security settings. I changed owner to Everyone and created a permission...
  7. I Do Not Have Permission to Create Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  9. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  10. A program ask for having permission to create folder and files (dictionary)

in Windows 10 Customization
    A program ask for having permission to create folder and files (dictionary): Valued team and user, A program ask for having permission to create folder and files (dictionary) '.\plugins\config' and my person wonders whether it is a windows folder or that of the software and how and where to change permissions....