Windows 10: Do not know my password when trying to join the WORKGROUP

Discus and support Do not know my password when trying to join the WORKGROUP in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have bought a new computer (NUC) with Windows Pro pre-installed. I am the sole user, therefore I'm logged in as a Microsoft member using the pin code... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rtcary, May 4, 2021.

1. rtcary Win User

Do not know my password when trying to join the WORKGROUP

I have bought a new computer (NUC) with Windows Pro pre-installed. I am the sole user, therefore I'm logged in as a Microsoft member using the pin code established by Microsoft. I have established a WorkGroup and when I try to login from another computer, I'm asked for my user name and password, both of which I do not know since I use my email and password for Microsoft to get my Pin Number - I only need my PN to login. How do I either create a user name/password or find one if it exists? Todd P.S. A lot has changed in the new iterations of Windows 10! Windows Version: 20H2

:)

rtcary, May 4, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

Todd,

This is what I did to set up my own network. Your username-password issues are addressed in steps 2 & 7.

1 Set the same WorkGroup name on each computer - Change Workgroup - TenForumsTutorials

2 Create a local Admin account on each computer with both the same username and the same password.
    - This will be used to authorise mutual network access upon the first connection to it but does not restrict which user accounts can subsequently be used when accessing the network.Add Local Account - TenForumsTutorials
    Change Account Type - TenForumsTutorials- This can actually be an MSAccount but a local one is normally less prone to errors.
    - Anyway, it's always a good idea to have a spare, password-protected local Admin account as a hedge against possible user profile corruption in the future.

3 Set up all Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Advanced sharing settings - includingTurn On Network Discovery - TenForumsTutorials
    Turn On File and Printer Sharing - TenForumsTutorials
    Turn On Password Protected Sharing - TenForumsTutorials
    4 Share the desired folders - Share Files and Folders Over a Network - TenForumsTutorials In brief,- In File explorer, right-click on the folder, Properties, Sharing tab, Advanced sharing
    - Set the checkbox for Share this folder
    - Give it a Share name
    - Click on Permissions,
    - Everyone - Set Full control, Change or Read as desired
    5 If a network includes earlier Windows versions, non-Windows computers or a network drive connected to the router then I understand SMB1 needs to be set up but this is not a topic I know about - Enable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol - TenForumsTutorials

6 Connect each computer to the router's network and set it up as a Private network - Set Network Location to Private - TenForumsTutorials- This connection step assumes use of Windows defender. If you use different security software then you should check if it requires any additional steps, such as manually approving use of specific network adapters, but I imagine they are all pretty decently automated these days and would at least tell you if they were rejecting a network / network adapter.
    7 Access the shared drives both ways between each pair of computers & provide network credentials- The first time you do this you will need to enter the common local Admin account username and common password {the one set up on each computer at step 2 above}
    - Set the Remember my credentials checkbox so that you are never required to do this again
    Do not know my password when trying to join the WORKGROUP [​IMG]

- You will be able to access the shared drives using all other user accounts not just the Admin account used to set it all up.

Denis

Try3, May 5, 2021
  3. rtcary Win User

I have bought a new computer (NUC) with Windows Pro pre-installed. I am the sole user, therefore I'm logged in as a Microsoft member using the pin code established by Microsoft.

I have established a WorkGroup and when I try to login from another computer, I'm asked for my user name and password, both of which I do not know since I use my email and password for Microsoft to get my Pin Number - I only need my PN to login.

How do I either create a user name/password or find one if it exists?

Todd

P.S. A lot has changed in the new iterations of Windows 10!

Windows Version: 20H2

rtcary, May 5, 2021
  4. Terry1337 Win User

Wndows 10 Not leaving Workgroup To Join Domain

I have a new PC and am trying to join it to our domain. It displays under network and sharing that it is in the domain, but when I go to system properties and computer name then join the computer or change its name it is listed in a workgroup. If I try to change the workgroup to our domain it says to remove it from the workgroup. The new PC is in active directory on our domain server. How do I remove it from the workgroup?

Windows build 19042.870.

Terry1337, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Do not know my password when trying to join the WORKGROUP - Similar Threads - password trying join

2. Not knowing the password so what do I do?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Not knowing the password so what do I do?: Hi I loved your product but I lost it for years and just found it. However I do not know the password. Is there a way I could wipe its memory and start from the beginning and change the password? I have the mp4 player...
  3. MY ACCOUNT DESEPPERING BUT I Cant join with my phone number and i know my password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MY ACCOUNT DESEPPERING BUT I Cant join with my phone number and i know my password: vdfssfa https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-account-deseppering-but-i-cant-join-with-my/d45054b6-1751-4526-81f5-0eafd3ce0db2
  4. MY ACCOUNT DESEPPERING BUT I Cant join with my phone number and i know my password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MY ACCOUNT DESEPPERING BUT I Cant join with my phone number and i know my password: vdfssfa https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-account-deseppering-but-i-cant-join-with-my/d45054b6-1751-4526-81f5-0eafd3ce0db2
  5. MY ACCOUNT DESEPPERING BUT I Cant join with my phone number and i know my password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  6. Wndows 10 Not leaving Workgroup To Join Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wndows 10 Not leaving Workgroup To Join Domain: I have a new PC and am trying to join it to our domain. It displays under network and sharing that it is in the domain, but when I go to system properties and computer name then join the computer or change its name it is listed in a workgroup. If I try to change the workgroup...
  7. I know my Microsoft account password but I do not know Windows account password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I know my Microsoft account password but I do not know Windows account password: Hi, I forgot my Windows password. However, I know my Microsoft account password. When I try to recover my Windows password, it tells me "You need the Internet for this." Now I have moved to a new apartment, so Windows cannot recognize my new Internet connection settings....
  8. Trying to reset the password on a computer I don't know the password on

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to reset the password on a computer I don't know the password on: Hello everyone, So I'm trying to reset the password on a Windows 10 computer that I don't know the password on. What I've tried todo is to get a installation media and try to replace the utilman.exe I think that's what its called To the cmd. The only problem is that all the...
  9. how do i find out my password for my workgroup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i find out my password for my workgroup?: how do I find out my password for my workgroup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-out-my-password-for-my-workgroup/15753644-5788-40d5-b4cf-c297d5af9b09
  10. Clean Installation - Join Workgroup During Setup Stage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Installation - Join Workgroup During Setup Stage: Hello everyone. I would like to know how to join a workgroup and login as a workgroup account after formatting the computer? By default, Windows setup wants to create a local account before you can log in into the Windows. [img] Is that possible not to create a...