Windows 10: DO NOT TRUST CortanaRuntime.exe if its eating up your CPU usage!

Discus and support DO NOT TRUST CortanaRuntime.exe if its eating up your CPU usage! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've seen plenty of complaints around the internet about this but with no solutions. Both my sister and I have undergone lots of frustration over this... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DylanSimpson1, Aug 15, 2018.

1. DO NOT TRUST CortanaRuntime.exe if its eating up your CPU usage!

I've seen plenty of complaints around the internet about this but with no solutions. Both my sister and I have undergone lots of frustration over this thing known as CortanaRuntime.exe that runs in the background and completely maxes your CPU usage. For the longest time I thought this was just Windows being stupid or buggy, nope. It's a bitcoin miner. That disguises itself as a Cortana component.

Most antiviruses don't pick it up so it seems, not Windows Defender OR AVG, I was only able to find it with Emsisoft Antivirus, and I specifically had to do a scan while CortanaRuntime was running for it to detect it and remove it. I tried going to the .exe directly and deleting it or renaming it but it doesn't work. It just comes back.

So, if anyone else is dealing with this parasitic virus out there, that's how you gotta get rid of it. Emsisoft has a full featured 30 day trial. https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

If nothing else, just install it, run the trial, do a "quick scan" while CortanaRuntime is running to get rid of it, then you have to reboot. Afterwords feel free to uninstall it. But holy crap has this solved an incredible conundrum for me.

Just wanted to put this out there if there was anyone else struggling with this!

Credit to the post that helped me get to the bottom of this. https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/275150-win10-cortana-runtime-process-hogging-cpu

:)

DylanSimpson1, Aug 15, 2018

2. upup.exe keeps overloading my CPU usage

This exe file just appeared out of nowhere and has been eating my CPU usage since then. It's located in C:\Windows\upup.exe

I've tried deleting it by going in safe mode. But it came back as soon as I booted back into normal mode. Please help me remove it.

Ahmed Fazal, Aug 15, 2018
  3. JamshedMuhammad Khan, Aug 15, 2018
  4. armycyrus Win User

DO NOT TRUST CortanaRuntime.exe if its eating up your CPU usage!

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe consistently takes 50% of CPU usage.

Original title: An App. called AppleMobileDeviceService.exe consistently takes 50% of CPU usage. I am not using iTunes. Apple says iI should ask Microsoft. I use AX oper. sys.

An App. called AppleMobileDeviceService.exe consistently takes 50% of CPU usage. I am not logged on to iTunes, nor is my iPod connected to my PC when this .exe runs with 50% usage. Apple suggested I contact Microsoft. I use AX oper. sys. Apple suggested
    contacting Microsoft.

armycyrus, Aug 15, 2018
Thema:

DO NOT TRUST CortanaRuntime.exe if its eating up your CPU usage!

1. DO NOT TRUST CortanaRuntime.exe if its eating up your CPU usage! - Similar Threads - TRUST CortanaRuntime exe

2. Svchost.exe in sysWOW64 eating up CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Svchost.exe in sysWOW64 eating up CPU: I have a windows 10 pc and I noticed something wrong in the task manager, there is an unknown program that's running 50-80% on the CPU, and Its located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, I recently installed a game from my old hard drive which is a pirated game and I'm not sure if...
  3. Svchost.exe in sysWOW64 eating up CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Svchost.exe in sysWOW64 eating up CPU: I have a windows 10 pc and I noticed something wrong in the task manager, there is an unknown program that's running 50-80% on the CPU, and Its located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, I recently installed a game from my old hard drive which is a pirated game and I'm not sure if...
  4. Svchost.exe in sysWOW64 eating up CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. sihost.exe eating much CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sihost.exe eating much CPU: Hello! I'm facing the following problem: sihost.exe eats some CPU.Note: This process mentioned above is a real Windows process.I have Windows 10 21H2 Build 19044.1766Are you also facing this issue? Please help me.I want a solution without formatting the entire OS.I just...
  6. sihost.exe eating much CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sihost.exe eating much CPU: Hello! I'm facing the following problem: sihost.exe eats some CPU.Note: This process mentioned above is a real Windows process.I have Windows 10 21H2 Build 19044.1766Are you also facing this issue? Please help me.I want a solution without formatting the entire OS....
  7. sihost.exe eating much CPU

sihost.exe eating much CPU: Hello! I'm facing the following problem: sihost.exe eats some CPU.Note: This process mentioned above is a real Windows process.I have Windows 10 21H2 Build 19044.1766Are you also facing this issue? Please help me.I want a solution without formatting the entire OS....
  8. High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit: Hi. Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) So my problems started a few days after the last update; 2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64 based Systems (KB5001330). I have Piriforms Speccy installed and it reports the cpu temp is around a constant temp in...
  9. unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe

unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe: hello everyone I'm having a bit of trouble with this application. Just recently my CPU has been mostly taken up by one instance of the above file continuously running. Now I have had a look in Task Manager and the following command lines are stated as below:-...
  10. How do I show hidden process that eat up high CPU Usage on my Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I show hidden process that eat up high CPU Usage on my Windows: I had a great experience on my windows 10, this exactly different than older windows. We can see the other users on task manager (check box) on Windows 7 but here I can't find anything that will make it shows the other users using this CPU. It eat up 20%+ my cpu usage!...