Windows 10: Do not understand how the Mail program works

Discus and support Do not understand how the Mail program works in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I'm writing an app (in C#). Among other things the app lets users send emails. The app creates a mailto string and then invokes ProcessStart(mailto);... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by RonNewYork, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Do not understand how the Mail program works

I'm writing an app (in C#). Among other things the app lets users send emails. The app creates a mailto string and then invokes ProcessStart(mailto);

So my code gets to the mail sending part, where it sends an email via mailto. I'm on the same machine where I get my gmail. When it invokes mailto I see the Microsoft Mail program operate. This is good in that I don't want the app to send email without the user's interaction.

I click send in the Mail program and...nothing happens. Mail seems to have sent the email but my gmail (in Chrome) doesn't get it. It's not in spam or trash, or even in the sent folder. Am I doing something wrong? The Outbox (in the Microsoft Mail program) is empty.

But it gets worse. I cannot get to Account settings anymore. Not sure why but clicking Settings->Manage Account->Mygmail.com, nothing happens. I cannot do anything.

The mailto string looks like this:

"mailto:L: [email protected]?subject=Test Mail&body=this is just a test"

The Mail program is like the Your Phone program: A piece of crap. When I send something via the Mail program, it just disappears after I click send. Not in the sent folder or anything. Is there a decent source of information on this?

I thought that using ProcessStart(mailto) would just invoke the user's active email app (like Chrome/gmail) and then they can decide to send the email. But it seems they (me) have to set into setting up some sort of Outlook mail. Very weird.

:)

RonNewYork, Sep 26, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Do not understand how the Mail program works :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Sep 26, 2019
  3. send to mail does not open the mail program although it has been set as standard mail program

Sorry, but it doesn't work. Default program has been correctly set to windows "mail"program.Does the fact, that the mail program has two connected email accounts (Hotmail and gmail) have any significance?

tassosevmiridis, Sep 26, 2019
  4. Do not understand how the Mail program works

Windows 10 - Error Ox85050041. Mail app not syncing e-mails and Windows update not working.

Hello Linda,

We understand now that your are facing issue with your e-mail syncing in Mail app and Windows update not working. Let's try the steps below and check if it works:

Step 1: Kindly follow the steps mentioned in the link below and check if it helps:

Resolve sync issues in Mail and Calendar apps in Windows 10

Step 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter

I suggest you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run Windows Update troubleshooter:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar and select it.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Windows Update troubleshooter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Step 3:

I suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows update is running. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key +R, type “services.msc
    • Locate the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the
      Windows Update Services and check if it is running.
    • If not, right click on the service and click start to start the service.
    Let us know the result. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 26, 2019
Thema:

Do not understand how the Mail program works

1. Do not understand how the Mail program works - Similar Threads - understand Mail program

2. do not understand onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    do not understand onedrive: new laptop, I downloaded some music and photos. everything downloaded to onedrive which is now full. I have plenty of space on my hard drive. why does everything go to onedrive which i can't find or use......
  3. do not understand onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    do not understand onedrive: new laptop, I downloaded some music and photos. everything downloaded to onedrive which is now full. I have plenty of space on my hard drive. why does everything go to onedrive which i can't find or use......
  4. mail program NEVER works properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mail program NEVER works properly: I swear, this is my last microsoft device I will every buy. I have a surfacebook laptop and it sucks. The features I do like about it are not strong enough to balance out what doesn't work well.I have multiple email accounts and had them all set up on this laptop. Sometimes...
  5. mail program NEVER works properly

mail program NEVER works properly: I swear, this is my last microsoft device I will every buy. I have a surfacebook laptop and it sucks. The features I do like about it are not strong enough to balance out what doesn't work well.I have multiple email accounts and had them all set up on this laptop. Sometimes...
  6. I do not understand how restore points work exactly.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I do not understand how restore points work exactly.: Hi, I am trying to use restore point and did a little experiment : 1 Install WIN10 Pro 2 Update the system 3 Create a restore point 4 Install Office Pro 5 Restore point created in 3 But Office is still installed! I thought that going back to a restore point will...
  7. How do I setup iCloud mail to work with Windows Mail?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I setup iCloud mail to work with Windows Mail?: I am running Windows 10 PRO Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 and would like to configure Windows 10 built in Mail and Calendar apps to connect to my iCloud account but they fail to connect. I have authenticated Chrome and Edge browsers to work with iCloud and still get an...
  8. Mail program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mail program: Not sure if I am asking this question in the right area. Using version 1909. In the past, in the mail program (hotmail) I would open an email. Within that email there would be a link. If i clicked on that link it would open my browser window (firefox) on top of my mail...
  9. How do I join the Mail and Calender Insider Program?

How do I join the Mail and Calender Insider Program?: How do I join the Mail and Calender Insider Program? I'm already on the Windows 10 Insider Program. Is that enough? I also already on the Android Mail and Calender Insider Program. Anyone?...
  10. How the heck does the Mail program work?

How the heck does the Mail program work?: Hello, So I opened up the mail program and added a new account to my gmail account. Now I open up the Mail program and it still shows me the "add account" option but not how to actually see my mail. Thinking that it didn't "take" when I added my gmail account I tried to...