Windows 10: Do Restore Points Work On External Hard Drives?

Discus and support Do Restore Points Work On External Hard Drives? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I'm wondering if restore points work with external hard drives both HDD and SSD drives. If they do, do they work in such a way that I could create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ryevick, Nov 30, 2020.

1. ryevick Win User

Do Restore Points Work On External Hard Drives?

Hi, I'm wondering if restore points work with external hard drives both HDD and SSD drives. If they do, do they work in such a way that I could create a restore point using my desktop computer (Windows 10 Pro) and if I need to repair the drive while away from that PC, I could do it using my laptop (Windows 10 Home)?

I may be under the wrong impression but my understanding of a restore point is it saves critical data to the specific drive about that specific drive and not information about the operating system, it's only data about that drive and how to restore that drive if needed. Is this correct?

:)

ryevick, Nov 30, 2020
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Nov 30, 2020
  3. ryevick Win User

Hi, I'm wondering if restore points work with external hard drives both HDD and SSD drives. If they do, do they work in such a way that I could create a restore point using my desktop computer (Windows 10 Pro) and if I need to repair the drive while away from that PC, I could do it using my laptop (Windows 10 Home)?

I may be under the wrong impression but my understanding of a restore point is it saves critical data to the specific drive about that specific drive and not information about the operating system, it's only data about that drive and how to restore that drive if needed. Is this correct?

ryevick, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Do Restore Points Work On External Hard Drives?

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Do Restore Points Work On External Hard Drives? - Similar Threads - Restore Points External

2. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not working: I've been messing around with my external hard drive because I tried to put it in my xbox one s and I didn't really need it in there, i mostly need it for my laptop. I formatted the hard drive on the xbox and now i've put it back into my laptop, the noise comes on when its...
  3. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive not working: I've been messing around with my external hard drive because I tried to put it in my xbox one s and I didn't really need it in there, i mostly need it for my laptop. I formatted the hard drive on the xbox and now i've put it back into my laptop, the noise comes on when its...
  4. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  5. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  6. Restore from Backup on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore from Backup on External Hard Drive: I had to send my laptop to get repaired, so I backed up my laptop onto an external hard drive. I have gotten my laptop back, and as expected, everything is gone. I am trying to restore from my backup, but it does not seem to be working. I created the backup with Windows 10,...
  7. Creating a system restore in an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a system restore in an external hard drive: I have windows 10 installed on my ssd in laptop.I want to create a backup of the windows only and store in my external hdd in a way that I would be able to use remaining space on external drive normally and restore from it if something bad happens.Is it possible? submitted...
  8. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    external hard drive not working: my external hard drive is not working and idk how to fix it, it is detected it just doesn't do anything... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-not-working/65f9db49-d585-48c4-b39c-5f14565207ca
  9. Restore Point with External Drives

Restore Point with External Drives: Hello. I have a question about restore points with external drives. If I create a restore point into an external drive. And if I reset my Windows PC, will the restore point not be deleted from my external drive? Please leave your answers down below. I will appreciate them....
  10. Restoring from external hard drive

Restoring from external hard drive: My old laptop became non-functional (bad motherboard), so I uninstalled my SSD hard drive and have been using it as an external hard drive. Now, I would like to install everything on this external hard drive including the OS and files onto a new laptop. How can I do this?...