Windows 10: Do routers lose wifi broadcast range?

Discus and support Do routers lose wifi broadcast range? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys. My router is located in my conservatory, built onto the side of my house. Effectively, this was outside the house before I built it. For the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sean5302, May 4, 2021.

1. sean5302 Win User

Do routers lose wifi broadcast range?

Hi guys. My router is located in my conservatory, built onto the side of my house. Effectively, this was outside the house before I built it. For the past 3 years it has supplied my conservatory PC, printer, scanner and the main lounge TV perfectly well. It has also supplied my other PC, upstairs in an office / bedroom via wifi to a usb dongle on the other PC. Lately, I've been losing signal and now have wifi upstairs which is too poor to work at all. I downloaded a signal strength meter onto my phone, Check the best WiFi analyzer apps for Android It shows that I really do have dreadful signal strength upstairs at -70dB compared to -25dB standing next to the router. I have 2 options: I can move the router to a different place in the house (not easy because I use Cat5 cables for the conservatory PC and it's peripherals I can try a brand new router that the ISP sent me last time I renewed my subscription (but it might mean changing the passwords on everything. What do you advise, please?

:)

sean5302, May 4, 2021
  2. sean5302 Win User

Yes, there are 5 local wifi channels and 2 of them have signal strengths as large as my own.
    Given that they are between 40 metres and 100 metres from my house I don't know whether that's good or bad. I mean, if someone can broadcast 100m with a strong signal through umpteen brick walls, it suggests the technology is good and the problem is that my router is on its way out.
    I selected 4 different channels on my router (of 12) rather than auto. Nothing made any difference, so my router looks dodgy.

In terms of packet sniffing, I noticed that when I downloaded large Rar files, on attempting to unzip them using Winrar, the files were corrupt and I had to download them by Cat5 cable, so something's wrong.

sean5302, May 5, 2021
  3. steve108 Win User

In my case I was adding more routers to extend coverage area - I added a pair of Orbi routers to my existing network to improve upstairs coverage. You might want to look into this too to increase range wirelessly Wifi Mesh Network - WiFi 6 Mesh System | NETGEAR if your yet to be tested router doesn't float your boat *Smile

steve108, May 5, 2021
  4. sean5302 Win User

Hi guys.

My router is located in my conservatory, built onto the side of my house. Effectively, this was outside the house before I built it.
    For the past 3 years it has supplied my conservatory PC, printer, scanner and the main lounge TV perfectly well.
    It has also supplied my other PC, upstairs in an office / bedroom via wifi to a usb dongle on the other PC.
    Lately, I've been losing signal and now have wifi upstairs which is too poor to work at all.
    I downloaded a signal strength meter onto my phone,
    Check the best WiFi analyzer apps for Android
    It shows that I really do have dreadful signal strength upstairs at -70dB compared to -25dB standing next to the router.

I have 2 options:
    I can move the router to a different place in the house (not easy because I use Cat5 cables for the conservatory PC and it's peripherals
    I can try a brand new router that the ISP sent me last time I renewed my subscription (but it might mean changing the passwords on everything.

What do you advise, please?

sean5302, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Do routers lose wifi broadcast range? - Similar Threads - routers lose wifi

2. wifi range issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wifi range issue: Hello, so i had a keyboard short circuit couple of months back and then i got it fixed but right after that i started facing issues with my wifi. The wifi connections don't show up only. if i'm sitting right next to my router then only it does while the other devices in the...
  3. wifi range issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wifi range issue: Hello, so i had a keyboard short circuit couple of months back and then i got it fixed but right after that i started facing issues with my wifi. The wifi connections don't show up only. if i'm sitting right next to my router then only it does while the other devices in the...
  4. Broadcast via wifi to sonos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broadcast via wifi to sonos: Hi there,I have airfoil for my mac and can broadcast via WIFI to my sonos move. Airfoil for windows project stopped being supported.Is there a recommended alternative for windows 10 that can broadcast via WIFI to a sonos move?Cheers...
  5. Broadcasting same WiFi Network Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Broadcasting same WiFi Network Name: Hello All, I have UVerse with AT&T. The Uverse Residential Gateway (fancy word for Router) is installed in my office. The Gateway has ports for ethernet and also provides WiFi. My living room is on the opposite side of the house and the WiFi was not good so I ran an ethernet...
  6. Broadcasts not being routed from WiFi to Ethernet by router

Broadcasts not being routed from WiFi to Ethernet by router: I recently started a transition from WiFi 5 to WiFi 6. Part of that transition included replacing my Linksys router with an ASUS RT-AX92U WiFi6 router. Ever since that change I have noticed that my desktop computer (connected via Ethernet) cannot be awoken with Wake On LAN...
  7. Alexsixs WiFi Range Extender

Alexsixs WiFi Range Extender: I just set up the Alexsixs WiFi Range Extender to boost the signal strength of my Router for the four WiFi Windows 10 PCs being used at my home. The boosted signal gets invariably picked up by my mobile phone and by my Amazon Fire TV Stick. But my PCs sometimes pick up the...
  8. Wifi broadcasting

Wifi broadcasting: People have been telling me that my pc is broadcasting some kind of connection while the hotspot option is turned off "DIRECT-GC<desktop name>msWF". this has become at times really annoying....
  9. wifi router

wifi router: I just changed my user name & and password on my router and no I'm locked out! Can this router be reset to the default user name & password? the router is a Sagemcom fast 5260...
  10. Wifi-Router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi-Router: Hi i'm 17 I don't know a lot about computers I got this Windows 10 desktop on Christmas, Yea won't lie about it. I have been having trouble with connection to games ever since I moved to the basement I did a speed test and my ping is 8, Download 36Mbps, and upload is...