Windows 10: "Do this for all conflicts" when copying / moving files using Windows Explorer

Discus and support "Do this for all conflicts" when copying / moving files using Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I copy files using Windows Explorers and the same files already exist in the target folder I get a dialog that says "There is already a file with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RickOwen, Jul 22, 2019.

1. RickOwen Win User

"Do this for all conflicts" when copying / moving files using Windows Explorer

When I copy files using Windows Explorers and the same files already exist in the target folder I get a dialog that says "There is already a file with the same name in this location." At this point I have two options: "Copy and replace" or "Don't copy", with a checkbox at the bottom of the dialog for "Do this for all conflicts" and a "Cancel" button.

My experience has been that if I check "Do this for all conflicts" and then click "Don't copy" Windows Explorer will not copy the file in question (desired behavior), but then it won't copy any subsequent files regardless of whether or not they exist in the target folder (undesirable behavior).

My questions are

Am I missing something in how copy should work if there are duplicate files in the target folder?

Do I misunderstand the meaning of the "Do this for all conflicts."?

Is Windows Explorer broken?

:)

RickOwen, Jul 22, 2019
  2. Delicieuxz, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 22, 2019
  4. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

1. "Do this for all conflicts" when copying / moving files using Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - conflicts copying moving

2. Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.: I am trying to clean up my computer and whenever I try to copy or move any elements from one directory to another it suddenly gets stuck after a couple of files or even at the very beginning. Just like so:This makes me unable to organize any of my folders on my computer. I...
  3. Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.: I am trying to clean up my computer and whenever I try to copy or move any elements from one directory to another it suddenly gets stuck after a couple of files or even at the very beginning. Just like so:This makes me unable to organize any of my folders on my computer. I...
  4. Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 Pro - Explorer crashes when cut/Copying files/Existing File Conflict

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro - Explorer crashes when cut/Copying files/Existing File Conflict: Windows 11 Pro; OS Build 22000.739PC: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHzRAM: 64.0 GBI am trying to consolidate multiple folders with similar contents; in some cases, newer files exist with the same name. When I attempt to cut/paste folders from one location...
  6. Windows 11 Pro - Explorer crashes when cut/Copying files/Existing File Conflict

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro - Explorer crashes when cut/Copying files/Existing File Conflict: Windows 11 Pro; OS Build 22000.739PC: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHzRAM: 64.0 GBI am trying to consolidate multiple folders with similar contents; in some cases, newer files exist with the same name. When I attempt to cut/paste folders from one location...
  7. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy: Hello. I can't figure out why when I drag and drop files to different folders in File Explorer there are times it 'moves' versus 'copies'. I can't tell what I'm doing differently. Thanks....
  8. Can't copy/move files using File Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't copy/move files using File Explorer: Hi guys, I recently build a new pc and installed Windows Pro on it. Everything is working pretty well, except for 1 thing: I can't move/copy files... Whenever I try to do this screen flickers black for less than a second, and file explorer shuts down without moving or...
  9. Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files: In Win 7 File Explorer, when you copy files and there are conflicts, it shows a dialog box with the two files with dates and times AND it flags which one is newer. This last feature is something that has made life drastically easier for me and is not available in Win 10....
  10. Do this for all conflicts with Copy and Replace - If I select Don't Copy Duplicate NO files...

Do this for all conflicts with Copy and Replace - If I select Don't Copy Duplicate NO files...: Weird thing - Running Win 10 latest vers. on an HP EliteOne G5 AIO. When I try to copy ANY files from ANY folder to a different folder they copy fine but if even one file is already in there and the Copy File dialogue box comes up that asks "Copy and Replace" or "Dont Copy"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. copy files handle files conflicts