Windows 10: Do USB WiFi adapters supplement or replace existing WiFi antenna?

Discus and support Do USB WiFi adapters supplement or replace existing WiFi antenna? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When using a laptop the internal antenna can only receive the WiFi signal that exists in that air space where it is located so it seems to me that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wiganken, Mar 16, 2019.

1. wiganken Win User

Do USB WiFi adapters supplement or replace existing WiFi antenna?

When using a laptop the internal antenna can only receive the WiFi signal that exists in that air space where it is located so it seems to me that plugging in a USB WiFi adapter into the laptop cannot increase the WiFi performance and yet that is the reason they are sold. Is it the case that the USB adapter adds another antenna and the two work together to increase the strength and quality of signal received? Is that how it works?

:)

wiganken, Mar 16, 2019

2. Best homemade WiFi antenna ?

I have been researching homemade wifi antennas for use with my laptop. It has a built in card but I also have a USB wifi adapter I could use for the project.

What type of DIY antenna works best?

What antenna have you guys made that works best for you?

Of course I want to boost my reception to the max.

John Phoenix, Mar 16, 2019
  3. powerful wifi antenna

has anyone used a powerful wifi antenna to increase the signal strength of their wifi? i am not talkoing about using a WAP to bridge my wifi signal, but an actually high powered antenna to boost the signal in all directions. and i am not looking into flashing my router with firmware to increase the power of my existing router. i am specifically looking for high powered antennas. any experiences i should know about? any models i should look into?

Easy Rhino, Mar 16, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

wifi antennas?

Not being rude or anything by posting links; however, antennas are more than a wire in a piece of covering.
    You got propagation, transmit/receive gain, standing waves, etc. to consider in the proper implementation. It is, actually, more important on low power output/receive circuits/chipsets.

Here are a few informative sites for info on antennas:

Understanding Antenna Specifications and Operation

Introduction to Wi-Fi Wireless Antennas

The Fundamentals of Wi-Fi Antennas

Understanding 802.11 Antennas

If you do a search for Understanding wifi antenna design you will see lots of info on the subject.

95Viper, Mar 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Do USB WiFi adapters supplement or replace existing WiFi antenna? - Similar Threads - USB WiFi adapters

2. Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna: I built a PC yesterday and all was going well until I was trying to set up Windows and it wasn’t recognizing any of the WiFi hardware. As a result I can’t connect to WiFi.I have two different ASUS WiFi antenna that I’ve tried to use with my PC and neither has shown up on...
  3. Replacement of WIFI network adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacement of WIFI network adapter: Hello, I have recently replaced on my laptop the internal wifi mini card RTL8187B - 802.11b/g with a newer LCL-RTL8821CE card in order to try to receive 2.4 and 5ghz signal. The Laptop is an old 2010 Notebook made by Clevo computers model : M77SUA - uPGA 479M recently also...
  4. Replacement of WIFI network adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacement of WIFI network adapter: Hello, I have recently replaced on my laptop the internal wifi mini card RTL8187B - 802.11b/g with a newer LCL-RTL8821CE card in order to try to receive 2.4 and 5ghz signal. The Laptop is an old 2010 Notebook made by Clevo computers model : M77SUA - uPGA 479M recently also...
  5. Replacement of WIFI network adapter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Wifi Adapter Antenna Questions

Wifi Adapter Antenna Questions: Hello All Switching to Ethernet possibly on Saturday for my Main Desktop, Some reason my Wifi 6 adapter can't hold 1.2gbps with Comcast XB7 Gateway anymore, so wondering something should i disconnect antennas, and just keep the card in for Bluetooth 5.0 function til i maybe...
  7. Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors: So I am attempting to upgrade the PCI-e Wifi card that ships with an old laptop to an Intel AX200 NGFF card , so I bought an NGFF to PCI-e adapter only to realize something I haven't considered . Seems the antennas' connectors from back in PCI-e era were twice the size of the...
  8. Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors: So I am attempting to upgrade the PCI-e Wifi card that ships with an old laptop to an Intel AX200 NGFF card , so I bought an NGFF to PCI-e adapter only to realize something I haven't considered . Seems the antennas' connectors from back in PCI-e era were twice the size of the...
  9. HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna

HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna: HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna Wireless LAN Internet Adapter 802.11 n/g/b Network. I'm using Windows 10 Pro on a Dell 9020 MT Optiplex Desktop PC with no built in WiFi. I've been using a USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna Wireless LAN Internet Adapter 802.11...
  10. Wifi Antenna Question

Wifi Antenna Question: I have purchased a new ac router and a new ac pci-e network card (Asus). My setup before this purchase was this, pci-e 802.11n with two antenna connectors. Each connector has a 30 ft Wifi extension cable leading to two simple yagi antennas mounted outside. This has been...