Windows 10: Do VPNs add additional characters to file paths?

Discus and support Do VPNs add additional characters to file paths? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm noticing that when working remotely some files in my work's shared drive are not opening. It appears to be when the file path goes over 246... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 9216544, Mar 26, 2020.

1. 9216544 Win User

Do VPNs add additional characters to file paths?

I'm noticing that when working remotely some files in my work's shared drive are not opening. It appears to be when the file path goes over 246 characters or so, I can't open the document. I don't believe this was an issue when working in the office. At the office, we still use a shared drive over our network, but not a VPN. Is there any way I can work around this other than shortening the file path?

:)

9216544, Mar 26, 2020
  2. Knoxx29 Win User

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Mar 26, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Tired of Germany blocking many youtube videos? *Big Grin Do VPNs add additional characters to file paths? :D

P4-630, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Do VPNs add additional characters to file paths?

Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters

Hi Mani L,

There is no fix or workaround for your inquiry other than your listed exceptions are these are not defined as "issues" by Microsoft but more of as a limitation:

Path length limitations for common files

Microsoft Word: 259 characters.

Microsoft PowerPoint: 259 characters.

Microsoft Access: 259 characters.

Microsoft Excel: 218 characters.

Microsoft Windows standard file path limit is 259-characters which means rule may apply to other type file (e,g,. .PDF, .TXT).

Related discussion:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Thanks & best regards.

RichardGuerzon, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Do VPNs add additional characters to file paths?

1. Do VPNs add additional characters to file paths? - Similar Threads - VPNs add additional

2. my path files are in greek characters and some programs cant find the file path way

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my path files are in greek characters and some programs cant find the file path way: my path files are in greek characters and some programs cant find the file path way https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-path-files-are-in-greek-characters-and-some/2d5944b2-4168-4d07-ae99-910eb3e9922f
  3. my path files are in greek characters and some programs cant find the file path way

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my path files are in greek characters and some programs cant find the file path way: my path files are in greek characters and some programs cant find the file path way https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-path-files-are-in-greek-characters-and-some/2d5944b2-4168-4d07-ae99-910eb3e9922f
  4. my path files are in greek characters and some programs cant find the file path way

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Increasing The Character count of registry paths.

Increasing The Character count of registry paths.: Hi there everyone, an hour ago I installed the AIG traffic liveries manager to enhance my Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 experience, and when I opened the application, I got the message below...I have not clicked anything since the popup window came up as after searching...
  6. Add-AppxPackage -Path...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add-AppxPackage -Path...: Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CFD, A Prerequisite for an install could not be satisfied. Windows cannot install package MicrosoftCorporationII.WindowsSubsystemForAndroid_1.8.32828.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe because this package is not compatible with the...
  7. Add-AppxPackage -Path...

Add-AppxPackage -Path...: Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CFD, A Prerequisite for an install could not be satisfied. Windows cannot install package MicrosoftCorporationII.WindowsSubsystemForAndroid_1.8.32828.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe because this package is not compatible with the...
  8. VPNs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPNs: I just installed Sure easy VPN but firewall blocked some of it. Should I install or delete? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpns/bb4bedfb-ad74-455e-870e-7c2600aef6d9
  9. How to extend file path characters maximum limit manually?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to extend file path characters maximum limit manually?: I am trying to make a clone from mercurial repository. But, unfortunately it is refusing to clone because of the length of the file path. It's displaying as below, abort: The filename or extension is too long. After trying the solutions in different articles, I...
  10. VPNs and File Hosters

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPNs and File Hosters: Hi. I've been experimenting with a free VPN and have found that it's very difficult, if not impossible, to download files from the likes of zippyshare, depositfiles etc. Would this still be a problem with a paid VPN? 132676