Windows 10: Do we even need drivers on Win 10..?

Discus and support Do we even need drivers on Win 10..? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys. Let me describe my the story that raised my concerns, by and large for anyone that would be interested in the details. So recently I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bgbrother, Jun 17, 2020.

1. bgbrother Win User

Do we even need drivers on Win 10..?

Hi guys. Let me describe my the story that raised my concerns, by and large for anyone that would be interested in the details.
    So recently I reinstalled Win 10 (version 1709) on an ASUS laptop. I've already done it a couple of times, I have grasped the routine to follow and think I had a good idea what I'm doing. Too bad this time there was an issue afterwards.

The first few times I've done it since 2018 when I started with 10, I think it went all smooth. Then the last time, which was about a year ago, the installation process completed and then maybe during driver installation I was faced with a black screen that wouldn't go away. Back then I called a friend's father who repairs computers and he came up with the suggestion that I switch from UEFI to legacy BIOS which oddly enough fixed the issue and I'd been using the laptop for the past year.
    It's worth noting though that my HDD was GPT-formatted and has been during all this time. Articles say GPT can only work with UEFI and BIOS with MBR, right? Yet somehow for the past year I've been running BIOS CMS on a GPT-formatted hard drive.
    Well, that was the 1st issue to encounter this time, last week when I started the most recent reinstall. After booting from the USB drive and starting the process, at the partition choice screen. I got a pop-up stating 'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.' Since I didn't feel like reformatting my HDD I switched to CMS BIOS and repeated the installation from scratch without any further hassle.
    Or so I thought until starting to install drivers afterwards. I am using original, OEM-provided drivers for Win 10 x64 on a DVD that came in the laptop cardbox. I use the wizard provided that compiles a list - I select the ones I want and it starts installing them in a row, restarting the system after each one or so. Yet, at some point one of them got caught in a loop or so it seemed, the progress bar filling to the end, then instead of reinstalling the bar got blank empty and started filling again -a couple of times, UNTIL FINALLY - I got a blackscreen, though there was a message box:

https://i.postimg.cc/qBNQdd5M/IMG-20...94915-Copy.jpg
    (Sorry, insert image button did not work for me so I give a link)
    It reads: 'The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click OK to restart the computer, and then restart installation.'

Strange as hell!! The installation seemed to had had finished?!? The previous night (I got to install the drivers the next morning!)
    Yet this happened and upon clicking OK, it restarts and then the same screen appeared. I tried with resetting the system - didn't help.
    So the only thing I was able to do was reboot from the USB and reinstall the OS. My Windows image is original, downloaded from Microsoft website.
    Now I have access to the interface and all looks normal. I'm afraid to try again installing drivers though. If I had more free time I'd probably experiment to look into it but I just can't afford spending so much time researching the issue, doing a full time day job and coming home tired as hell, it would be too taxing on me so if possible would rather not.

On the other hand, I'm also afraid to start actually using it. Since all the manuals/tutorials I've seen urge to install drivers immediately after Windows, before any other software, or else something might get botched (as if it doesn't anyway!).
    So the only things I dared to do was open some doc files (with the built-in Wordpad), pdfs in Edge, images and play some locally stored music. Not connecting to the Internet but all of these mentioned worked fine. The touchpad did work, the speakers, the processor was obviously running, bluetooth seemed to be on (though I couldn't manage to actually transfer files over it - OK, I'll need the BT drivers, but why not them and them only, why others) and the wifi adapter listed available networks, so it must've been working too.

So I wondered - do I even need to install drivers and make my life difficult again? Maybe Win 10, unlike it's predecessors comes with a lot of drivers for widely used hardware built in it? What's your opinion? Also does it really matter if you install drivers immediately after Windows or at a later moment, when you figure out you need a particular one for something?

:)

bgbrother, Jun 17, 2020
  2. NGeo Win User

The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

Hey Dj Urko, I am trying to install the realtek driver and I get the error 0x0001. I have disabled secure boot and Driver signature. I have the latest win 10 build. What am I doing wrong? Can u post the complete list of steps that I have to take? I have an asus z170 with alc1150.
    Thanks in advance

3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Do we even need drivers on Win 10..?

win 10 update leaves vertical pink line on screen

today i applied latest win 10 update and now i have a vertical pink line on screen, it remains on every screen. i have tried these fixes

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan,
    System File Checkeris a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.
    Step 2: Also, I suggest you to update the display drivers and check.

Steps to Update the Display Adapter driver.

• Press Windows key + Xkey when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update driver software
    BUT i still have the line on screen.

tinacaston, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Do we even need drivers on Win 10..?

1. Do we even need drivers on Win 10..? - Similar Threads - need drivers

2. Windows 11 install fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 install fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing.": Hi, I am trying to install windows 11 in my new pc but it fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk driver, If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it please insert it now" I have downloaded windows...
  3. Windows 11 install fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 install fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing.": Hi, I am trying to install windows 11 in my new pc but it fails saying "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk driver, If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it please insert it now" I have downloaded windows...
  4. Q: If my Samsung SSDs are working correctly with MS drivers, do I need to install Samsung...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Q: If my Samsung SSDs are working correctly with MS drivers, do I need to install Samsung...: I see that Samsung has drivers for my 4 Samsung SSDs but I have not installed them because I see the MS has installed it's own drivers. And my system works fine, I can't report slow speeds but maybe my transfer rates would be faster with Samsung drivers? Is there something to...
  5. Q: If my Samsung SSDs are working correctly with MS drivers, do I need to install Samsung...

Q: If my Samsung SSDs are working correctly with MS drivers, do I need to install Samsung...: I see that Samsung has drivers for my 4 Samsung SSDs but I have not installed them because I see the MS has installed it's own drivers. And my system works fine, I can't report slow speeds but maybe my transfer rates would be faster with Samsung drivers? Is there something to...
  6. Do I need a new display driver? If so, which one is right for me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need a new display driver? If so, which one is right for me?: So I have been having trouble with my display for the last week or so. The two main problems I have noticed are that my screen brightness is very low even at 100%, and my screen is flickering from the top down whenever in a full-screen video. I have visited...
  7. Do I need a new display driver? If so, which one is right for me?

Do I need a new display driver? If so, which one is right for me?: So I have been having trouble with my display for the last week or so. The two main problems I have noticed are that my screen brightness is very low even at 100%, and my screen is flickering from the top down whenever in a full-screen video. I have visited...
  8. need update for driver BCM20702A0.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need update for driver BCM20702A0.: need sound driver BCM20702A0to install blue tooth head set https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-update-for-driver-bcm20702a0/cd4896d5-250b-4f3c-9383-374687507ebc
  9. need update for driver BCM20702A0.

need update for driver BCM20702A0.: need sound driver BCM20702A0to install blue tooth head set https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-update-for-driver-bcm20702a0/cd4896d5-250b-4f3c-9383-374687507ebc
  10. need update for driver BCM20702A0.

in Windows 10 Customization