Windows 10: Do we still need to disable data collection in fall edition?

Discus and support Do we still need to disable data collection in fall edition? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. Just done a clean install of 1709. I see there's no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection directory. Does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ojustaboo, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Ojustaboo Win User

Do we still need to disable data collection in fall edition?

Hi all. Just done a clean install of 1709.

I see there's no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection directory.

Does this mean they've hidden it away elsewhere and there's something else we need to alter to stop them?

:)

Ojustaboo, Nov 21, 2017
  2. Jon5798 Win User

Disable Motion Data

Ya, reading the "What are your choices?" chart here;

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/mobile/privacy/privacy/details/motion-data/motion-data/

it say's you cannot disable it for version 2, only the Places and route collection can be disabled. motion data collection for the last 10 days is on, even if we do not want it on. Thanks for the choice Microsoft, what a waste of battery power.

Do we still need to disable data collection in fall edition? :(

Jon5798, Nov 21, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    Can I still/ do I still need to delete all data on my lost Lumia 900?

It seems you told your provider to lock the SIM before sending the remote wipe command, so since the phone no longer had a data connection, it can't get the command.

It's good you have a PIN. There's no way around it, so if someone finds it and wants to use it for than making emergency calls, they will have to hard reset it, which will wipe your data.

Entegy, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Ojustaboo Win User

Ojustaboo, Nov 21, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    After doing everything told in that page, do not forget to check your hat for any holes applying additional layers of tinfoil if any holes found, and control that your antennas are working. Send an email to a random contact of yours with subject "Testing", message containing following words:

"Is anyone spying on me?"

If you get no replies to this email in 24 hours, you are good to go! Do not use your computer in this 24 hour waiting period.

6. Ojustaboo Win User
    Hehe After reading it through I totally agree with you, no way I want to disable all that.

I do however use my PC for music software that requires the lowest latency possible and don't have any use for any apps at all, and do wish they weren't forced upon me (never use a live account). I wouldn't mind if I could simply uninstall them all but I can't (unless I do some of the tings on that page that I'm not going to do at present)

Windows installs are beginning to feel like store bought PC's where they are full of bloatware and crap that I don't want.

I simply want to boot into my desktop, use chrome, thunderbird, VLC, my music software and a few steam games. Almost everything else is of zero use to me and I'm sure there's many people like me.

Ojustaboo, Nov 21, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    Kari,
    So I did a quick skim of that webpage for fun, then I checked my hat.. it had a few holes in it, so I went to the kitchen and re-applied a few more sheets of tinfoil. I controlled all the antennas that are attached, and actually noticed that one antenna was malfunctioning! So I ordered a nice and cheap one from the internet; it will arrive in a few days or so... maybe a few extra day delay because of Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

And I sent multiple random emails to a few random contacts instead of just one, just in case to make sure at least one email went through. A few contacts responded and asked me something similar: They asked if my tinfoil hat broke.

Also, I may have screwed up and used the computer within the 24 hour period by writing this reply...
    ...what should I do now?

pepanee, Nov 22, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

You are ok if you buy a more expensive one made of titanium lining. If you PM me, I will give you my paypal details and you can send me £250, and I will send you one in return.

Oh by the way, I have shares to sell in Brooklyn Bridge if you are interested.

cereberus, Nov 22, 2017
  9. tonez Win User
    Can I get in on that please I have always wanted a bridge. I am willing to pay Top Dollar for say 1/10 of one of the towers near the road level, I don't mind which side, send me your details and I will bank transfer it to you ASAP

tonez, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Do we still need to disable data collection in fall edition? - Similar Threads - still need disable

2. Do we still need to install antivirus or malware in 2023 for securing Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do we still need to install antivirus or malware in 2023 for securing Windows?: Over the years I have seen how Microsoft defender has evolved and I didn't feel the need to install an antivirus or malware since Windows 10. I strongly feel third-party antivirus or malware software slows down Windows PC. That's why I am hesitant to use one.In 2023, do we...
  3. Do we still need to install antivirus or malware in 2023 for securing Windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do we still need to install antivirus or malware in 2023 for securing Windows?: Over the years I have seen how Microsoft defender has evolved and I didn't feel the need to install an antivirus or malware since Windows 10. I strongly feel third-party antivirus or malware software slows down Windows PC. That's why I am hesitant to use one.In 2023, do we...
  4. How do we edit WAV meta data/details?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do we edit WAV meta data/details?: I've seen in forums and articles the "experts" just say, "You can't!" but..... some of my WAV files have different meta data/details from others so, there must be a way to edit this. For example, I'm trying to finalize my album and zip it but I want the details to look...
  5. Information we collect chinning age

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Information we collect chinning age: Hi, in the game Asphalt 9: Legends I entered the wrong age. I need to change it. I cannot find it to change it in the game, and also the other tips that I found on this community do not work . These do not work: Resetting the app is the best way to clear the app or game data....
  6. do we still need to update password for task scheduler in windows?

in Windows 10 Customization
    do we still need to update password for task scheduler in windows?: Hello, would like to confirm if we still need to update passwords in task scheduler in case we change the password of a user account / service account? I tried it on a scheduled job running in a domain account and changed the password of the AD account. Still, the job ran...
  7. In Photos App, how do I disable Collections?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In Photos App, how do I disable Collections?: I have lots of photos that I've organized in folders by subject, date, other, or combo. I prefer not to have the timeline of photos constantly available or constantly managed. How do I disable this process?...
  8. Can we or should we delay October 17th Fall Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can we or should we delay October 17th Fall Update?: Well, I guess I am afraid of getting updates as soon as they are offered. So, can we delay this Fall update now scheduled for 17 October? 93371
  9. MS CEO on Win 10 Data Collection: We Spent Billions to Keep Your ...

in Windows 10 News
    MS CEO on Win 10 Data Collection: We Spent Billions to Keep Your ...: Microsoft CEO on Windows 10 Data Collection: We Spent Billions to Keep Your Info Secure Satya Nadella says Windows 10 is built on trust Many accused Microsoft of violating users' privacy with Windows 10, as it's been demonstrated that the operating system collects...
  10. How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10: How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10 Windows 10 now comes with the telemetry feature enabled by default which collects all sorts of user activity and sends it to Microsoft. Unfortunately, Microsoft has provided no way to disable it completely using...